UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you were to stop the fight prior to the shot would you score it for Conor on points? possibly. Does that mean he was in control?

Definitely, Conor was clearly winning the fight at the time of the stoppage. The momentum changed completely when Conor got hit with that left hand.

There's a difference between winning the first round on points and looking as though you're going to go on and win the fight though, isn't there?

Plenty of fighters look good for the first five minutes then falter. Even though Conor was doing well I never thought Diaz looked in trouble. If anything that cut above his eye was the only real concern.

And there's no way McGregor could have done that for 5 frames. Once it became apparent he wasn't getting Nate out of there early it was only a matter of time before Diaz caught him and/or managed to get him to the ground.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That isnt what i was saying, i was talking up until the point of the stoppage. Conor was definitely digging himself into a hole though. It resembled Cain against Werdum for me.

Tyson Fury was dishing out all sorts of shite about Connor last night. Claimed MMA was shit and the likes. Said nothing more entertaining or better than two men throwing punches... 

I like Tyson but the irony being that Tyson's world-title fight neither man really ever landed a proper punch on each other in-contrast with Nate/Connor. It probably also hurts Tyson that Connor's been doing Tyson's gimmick better than Tyson for quite some time now.

Here's a selection of his tweets from last night;

If a man talks the bizo then go and back it up, if I say a thing I fu..ing do it. #Gypsyking.
The fighting pride of Ireland would not of tapped out so easy @TheNotoriousMMA I would of went sleep first. There can only be 1Tyson fury.
Both top UFC fighters lost this weekend, @HollyHolm showed more ball than @TheNotoriousMMA

• Paid Members

I rewatched the fight again last night and it's such a strange fight from Mcgregor's perspective. He lands all the shots that are causing damage, and at times looked great. Then, a major chunk of the time he's swinging hooks and hitting fresh air. It wasn't even Nate's foot work that was causing him to miss, it was just flat out sloppy.

Doing ridiculous wheel kicks and hitting nothing whatsoever, and not utilising his spinning kicks to the mid section was just baffling. 

I'm not sure if it were arrogance on Mcgregor's part, or whether he's become too accustomed to the high rolling lifestyle, but that certainly wasn't the Mcgregor that we've seen in the past. Whilst the step up against a bigger is partially to blame, there was none of the foot work on display that creates angles for devastating shots, no foot work at all really. He simply relied on his chin and accuracy...and both failed him. 

I would actually like to see the fight contested at 155llbs to see if anything would be different? It was clear that for the final two weeks of camp, once a change of opponent was announced, he stopped watching his weight. He looked slow in there and I would like to think a Mcgregor aiming to hit 155, rather than 170, would be a leaner fighter who's gas tank wouldn't fail him.

I'm not sure if it were arrogance on Mcgregor's part, or whether he's become too accustomed to the high rolling lifestyle, but that certainly wasn't the Mcgregor that we've seen in the past. Whilst the step up against a bigger is partially to blame, there was none of the foot work on display that creates angles for devastating shots, no work at all really. He simply relied on his chin and accuracy...and both failed him. 

It was the one thing that a lot of people were dismissing, wasn't it? What would the additional weight do to his speed and footwork? He was never going to be as fast and agile with an extra 25lbs on his frame.

He's simply too small for that weight. 

• Paid Members

Yep, without question.

I wouldn't count out him fighting at 170 against the right opponent, but him fighting at 170 against monsters like Lawler, Condit, Thompson, Woodley, Macdonald, Lombard (and it's dawning on me as I'm writing this, there's an awful lot of monsters at 170), it would be suicide.

I commend him for having the balls to do it, and this shouldn't count against Mcgregor as a talent, but he's simply too small as you say David. 

Edit:- When I say small, I don't neccesarily mean height either. Look at Hendricks who is 5ft 9 too. But, he doesn't have the frame for 170 and the monsters he would face. 

I'm not sure if it were arrogance on Mcgregor's part

I would actually like to see the fight contested at 155llbs to see if anything would be different?

First thought I had after seeing the fight was he was just to arrogant during it, his lack of any real protection to the face throughout spoke volumes to me. Stood there ducked a few jabs and figured he could eat the rest thanks to a solid chin, turned out wrong. I agree with your points on the spinning back kicks to, waste of time and energy those, ineffective, like I said I felt that Connor didn't really go for the kill in round one when he had the opportunity to and felt that showcasing his skills in a longer lasting fight was key to him, hence the kicks, etc. 

I think it'd be a different fight at 155. Whether McGregor would win I don't know. I was in the boat of expecting McGregor to win but knew Nate was dangerous enough to cause an upset. It'd be an interesting fight at 155 though, McGregor would have more of his speed back that's been so effective in his past few fights. 

• Paid Members

I'm not sure if it were arrogance on Mcgregor's part, or whether he's become too accustomed to the high rolling lifestyle, but that certainly wasn't the Mcgregor that we've seen in the past. Whilst the step up against a bigger is partially to blame, there was none of the foot work on display that creates angles for devastating shots, no work at all really. He simply relied on his chin and accuracy...and both failed him. 

It was the one thing that a lot of people were dismissing, wasn't it? What would the additional weight do to his speed and footwork? He was never going to be as fast and agile with an extra 25lbs on his frame.

Ordinarily, carrying the extra weight would affect your speed. In reality, how does it compare to artificially draining your body for days before the fight? Obviously it's a factor, but is it that big a factor for guys who must go into fights all the time lacking in energy and also aren't actually as light as they weigh in?

Ordinarily, carrying the extra weight would affect your speed. In reality, how does it compare to artificially draining your body for days before the fight? Obviously it's a factor, but is it that big a factor for guys who must go into fights all the time lacking in energy and also aren't actually as light as they weigh in?

Not meaning this as a detraction on what McGregor did at 145lbs, but his fights at that weight class were against men he towered over and weighed more than come fight night. Fair play to him for almost killing himself to get to 145lbs, but he's benefited from being huge at that weight, and experienced the reverse of that at the weekend.

His build, his height, his frame, everything screams 155lbs fighter to me. That's where he should be I reckon.

I fancy him being competitive at that weight class against most guys, except the champion. I don't see him getting much change at all from a fight against Dos Anjos. He's all wrong for McGregor.

A quick tap is when the move isn't on properly or the position hasn't been fully achieved, like we used to see a lot of back in the early days, and someone taps out of inexperience and/or panic.

Exactly - a bit like Sage Northcutt's last fight where the arm triangle wasn't on properly and he still tapped

Saw this submission examined on YouTube shortly after Sage's fight.

When you're caught, you are caught. Simple as.

I forgot to add, it's not just McGregor that I don't see faring well against RDA, so it's nothing against him personally. I don't see anyone faring well against him apart from Kahbib. And even then, it depends how he is after his injuries.

I'll say it now, Diaz gets thumped by Lawler at 1970lbs. Nate's a blown up lightweight.

Well, at least they wouldn't be cutting weight. 

They'd both likely be dead, David. I know you've got your McGregor prediction right but this ones a bit to far mate.  :p  :laugh:

Archived