UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think you're likely right about Lawler/Diaz. For a start, I don't think Diaz's heavier shots would work as quickly against Lawler, and Conor showed that Diaz can be hit and with a savage like Lawler hitting you, I don't think you get half as much work done. I think Lawler may even finish Diaz within 2 or 3 rounds.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lawler would treat Diaz to a certain extent the same way as Diaz treated the smaller McGregor. Diaz last stint at welterweight didn't end well at all, and there's no reason to suggest this one would be any different. He's a lightweight fighter.

• Paid Members

Diaz shouldn't be anywhere near 170. 

We've touched on this before, whilst height wise he's fine, but his frame is not cut out for the 170 monsters. David mentioned a while back, but he's in a shit situation where he's too big for 155 but too small for 170. A 165llb division would be perfect for him.

If he went up against Lawler and those beasts at 170, he would get man handled. He came back down to lightweight for a reason in the end. 

My preference is for him to take another fight at 155, maybe Pettis if Pettis gets by Barboza, or face Alvarez, then fight for the title or face Mcgregor again in a rematch, but this time at 155. 

I think Nate just wants big fights at the moment anyway. 

If Nate was smart he'd be calling out McGregor for a rematch at 155lbs if possible. He said he wants the biggest fights, and is there a bigger fight out there for him than that?

Whether McGregor would take it or not is another question, of course. If it got the go-ahead I'm fairly certain Frankie Edgar would track Diaz down and kill him.

• Paid Members

A thought occurs regarding McGregor. I know it's going to sound like I'm making excuses for him, but just consider this: is it possible that he had the "wrong type" of weight? I know that sounds stupid, but surely there's a difference between the mass one gains over a period of months via working out and turning protein into muscle, and the mass one puts on over a period of two weeks by, basically, eating loads just to make weight? 

It still means Conor was unwise to go up two weights just like that, but, if he were to do it at a more measured and patient pace, surely he'd gain muscle mass that would help, rather than hinder, and he'd have had time to accustom himself to moving around at that weight?

I could, of course, be wrong like I am most of the time, but surely it's something to take into account?

• Paid Members

Yep, a Nate/Conor rematch at 155lb is a smart fight to make. As a one off fight though i wouldn't mind Diaz/Lawler at 170,i think history has proven that Nate doesn't belong at 170lb, Stun Gun and Rory chucked him around like a small child but from a style-wise perspective a Diaz/Lawler fight i can get on board with.

A thought occurs regarding McGregor. I know it's going to sound like I'm making excuses for him, but just consider this: is it possible that he had the "wrong type" of weight? I know that sounds stupid, but surely there's a difference between the mass one gains over a period of months via working out and turning protein into muscle, and the mass one puts on over a period of two weeks by, basically, eating loads just to make weight? 

It still means Conor was unwise to go up two weights just like that, but, if he were to do it at a more measured and patient pace, surely he'd gain muscle mass that would help, rather than hinder, and he'd have had time to accustom himself to moving around at that weight?

I could, of course, be wrong like I am most of the time, but surely it's something to take into account?

Sorry bud, but that just sounds like your grasping at straws.

• Paid Members

Sorry bud, but that just sounds like your grasping at straws.

Nah, it's fair enough. Was just a thought.

• Paid Members

Just watching the MMA Fighting post-fight show, and Ariel summed up everything toward the end of the interview when he simply said 'what a sport'. Just thinking about what's gone down in the last year or so, just absolute madness. I never really get caught up on wins and losses like some people and get butt-hurt about certain results, for me it's always been that MMA is just a lot of fun to follow, and recently it's been crazier than ever. The run into 200 is going to be wild.

• Paid Members

That's great.  Can you blame the guy?  She's absolutely perfect.

lol - it's funny because he's doing his best to obviously look away, but then sees the final 'bend over' and can't resist. As if his brain said "last chance, buddy".

My most surprising thing about the Mcgregor fight for me was hoe quick he gassed - after 1.5 rds he was done. WTF?

He had 25lbs of extra shit on his frame, gained in a relatively short amount of time (and having never fought at that weight before). If you add that to the adrenaline all fighters have, all the hype/pressure and the fact that his opponent was landing in volume (Roganhas spoke a lot on his podcast about how the very act, instinctual and uncontrollable, of bracing for a shot is a massive drain on your gas tank) and I'm not that surprised he looked out of it.

Unfortunately, Saturday's main event, rather than displaying how idiotic massive weight cuts are, seemed to reinforce them more.

Archived