UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so happy for Tate, I have been a fan of hers since her Strikeforce days and she is probably the reason I got interested in Womens MMA. I have always dreamed she would win the big one but if I'm honest I never thought she would achieve it until Holm beat Rousey then I dared to dream. I predicted she would beat Holm late on by TKO so I wasn't a million miles off but if i'm honest during the fight I felt it was Holm's to win so extra credit to Tate for never giving up and getting that victory. It was a fight that shows why MMA/Combat Sports can be the most exciting sport to watch;It's not over till it's over. I can't see Tate holding the belt for long, Rousey beats Tate 365 days a year imo, but hey at least she has finally won the big one.

On Holm, it's funny how everyone built her up to be this unstoppable machine after the Rousey fight, why do people constantly make these big assumptions based on one fight? Speaking of assumptions after one fight....

2 Things about McGregor; It's clear he is not the ultimate fighter that his 13 second victory over Aldo made him out to be but likewise it's far from over and he wasn't 'exposed' at all in this fight. He got caught against a much bigger opponent than he has fought before, it isn't rocket science to understand why he lost, it's physics. He will bounce back and all this will be forgotten about until they decide they need to do the dance again. I would be surprised if we see McGregor fight with his hands down again though, I think this will be a lesson learned.

I've never been happier to be a member of this forum, as opposed to others round the net, as now. I like that the unanimous decision is that it's dumb not to tap.

I think there is sometimes a confusion in terms, though. I think some people genuinely think a 'quick tap' or 'tapping too early' simply means what it sounds like; 'oh this chokes on flush, tap, that was quick'

A quick tap is when the move isn't on properly or the position hasn't been fully achieved, like we used to see a lot of back in the early days, and someone taps out of inexperience and/or panic.

If somethings on flush, tap like a dancer baby.

Tapped too quick!!!  :laugh:

He tried to fight the choke for about 10 seconds before it got locked in, that's the point where you do your thing, not after it's been locked in. When it's locked in is when it's game over. Fucking hell.

Say what you want about McGregor outside the cage (he ain't my favourite guy in that respect, in case anyone didn't know), but inside the cage? I've said it before, he's legit. He may not be a top 5 welterweight, or even a top 3 lightweight for all we know, but he's legit. He's no chump.

As for the RDA chat? I think he's best putting that talk to bed for a while. I rewatched the Nate vs RDA fight last night, and the only thing McGregor is getting out of that fight is fucked up. Same goes for Diaz if he steps in with him again.

McGregor should defend against Aldo or Edgar, then if he wants to jump up in weight he should be looking at maybe a few showcase fights with the likes of Pettis before he knocks on RDA's door again. I honestly think that broken foot of Dos Anjos is what saved McGregor from a real fucking leathering, the kind that would have damaged his reputation more than the loss to Diaz did.

• Paid Members

A quick tap is when the move isn't on properly or the position hasn't been fully achieved, like we used to see a lot of back in the early days, and someone taps out of inexperience and/or panic.

Exactly - a bit like Sage Northcutt's last fight where the arm triangle wasn't on properly and he still tapped

• Paid Members

I aint even getting into that early tap argument, its ridiculous.

Conor, to his credit has given the haters very little to latch onto post-fight, he accepted and took his defeat like a pro. I always suspected he would, props to the man.

He tried to fight the choke for about 10 seconds before it got locked in, that's the point where you do your thing, not after it's been locked in. When it's locked in is when it's game over. Fucking hell.

Say what you want about McGregor outside the cage (he ain't my favourite guy in that respect, in case anyone didn't know), but inside the cage? I've said it before, he's legit. He may not be a top 5 welterweight, or even a top 3 lightweight for all we know, but he's legit. He's no chump.

As for the RDA chat? I think he's best putting that talk to bed for a while. I rewatched the Nate vs RDA fight last night, and the only thing McGregor is getting out of that fight is fucked up. Same goes for Diaz if he steps in with him again.

McGregor should defend against Aldo or Edgar, then if he wants to jump up in weight he should be looking at maybe a few showcase fights with the likes of Pettis before he knocks on RDA's door again. I honestly think that broken foot of Dos Anjos is what saved McGregor from a real fucking leathering, the kind that would have damaged his reputation more than the loss to Diaz did.

I genuinely don't agree with this. McGregor was in complete control of the fight until he got tired, he took that one hit that wobbled him and panicked because he never expected to feel someone hit him so hard. I reckon now he's aware of the state his conditioning needs to be in, he could take Diaz if they faced again.

I think what's forgotten on Diaz taking the fight on short notice is that McGregor had to change his entire game plan on short notice as well. 

I genuinely don't agree with this. McGregor was in complete control of the fight until he got tired, he took that one hit that wobbled him and panicked because he never expected to feel someone hit him so hard. I reckon now he's aware of the state his conditioning needs to be in, he could take Diaz if they faced again.

I think what's forgotten on Diaz taking the fight on short notice is that McGregor had to change his entire game plan on short notice as well. 

I was meaning if Diaz stepped in with RDA again.

I also don't think you can see McGregor was in complete control, either, regardless of how aggressive he was.

Nate's big finish wasn't one, lucky, big power punch that caused Conor to shoot in. It was the cumulative effect of his high volume boxing, peppering Conor with shots, gassing him and weakening him. He slowly found his range and then capitalised when the moment struck.

Conor definitely wasn't ineffective, and he caused some serious damage but he was wasteful and Nate's victory was a result of a gameplan where he was quietly steering the fight throughout. If you were to stop the fight prior to the shot would you score it for Conor on points? possibly. Does that mean he was in control? not really, nate's gameplan was bubbling under nicely and proved effective in the end.

It was a good fight with two good fighters, but in the end frame, reach, better boxing, better jiu jitsu and, ultimately, a better gameplan won.

• Paid Members

Did they use that promo someone posted pre-fight doing the rounds on Twitter?

Yeah, the exact one.

Anybody saying "tapped too fast" either doesn't know anything about MMA or is confusing sport and real life with fiction.

I also don't think you can see McGregor was in complete control, either, regardless of how aggressive he was.

Nate's big finish wasn't one, lucky, big power punch that caused Conor to shoot in. It was the cumulative effect of his high volume boxing, peppering Conor with shots, gassing him and weakening him. He slowly found his range and then capitalised when the moment struck.

Conor definitely wasn't ineffective, and he caused some serious damage but he was wasteful and Nate's victory was a result of a gameplan where he was quietly steering the fight throughout. If you were to stop the fight prior to the shot would you score it for Conor on points? possibly. Does that mean he was in control? not really, nate's gameplan was bubbling under nicely and proved effective in the end.

It was a good fight with two good fighters, but in the end frame, reach, better boxing, better jiu jitsu and, ultimately, a better gameplan won.

McGregor ran into issues when his big shots that stopped guys at 145lbs didn't stop a bigger, heavier guy. It's as simple as that. He put a lot into those punches, gambled with his cardio, and lost.

He'll have to address that if we aims to compete at 155lbs in the future. He's halfway there though, as he acknowledged it afterwards, so he knows where he went wrong.

• Paid Members

If you were to stop the fight prior to the shot would you score it for Conor on points? possibly. Does that mean he was in control?

Definitely, Conor was clearly winning the fight at the time of the stoppage. The momentum changed completely when Conor got hit with that left hand.

Archived