UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Gutted, but shit happens. The party's over I guess. I know he'll still be a draw, but he can't talk now like he did before. You can't brag like he did & lose. He should stay at Featherweight, or max at Lightweight. Hats off to Meisha - great fight - very happy for her - she's a warrior.

For UFC 200, they should do McGregor vs Edgar, Meisha vs. Holm II, and Nate vs RDA, and GSP vs Lawlor.

It sets up McGregor vs RDA/Nate potentially if he beats Edgar, and a Ronda return vs the women's champ. And maybe GSP or Lawlor vs Nick Diaz.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without derailing this thread too much, what do you reckon they do for the big 200 show? Last night may have both hurt and helped it, with the results in the two main events.

I was tempted to suggest we get a thread going for 200, for predictions, news and the like, ball really started rolling for it last night, let Wand open it up to so he can edit the first post with one of his terrific write ups once we get the official announcements.

• Paid Members

Future matches wise, if Rousey is back for the summer I'd give her the shot against Tate and then winner faces Holm. If not, Tate-Holm rematch and then hope Rousey's back later on to face the winner.

With McGregor, have him do the Dos Anjos match. If he loses you give him the choice of going back to 145 permanently and defending against the legit top contenders, or vacate the title and become an attraction who faces anyone and everyone in grudge matches. If he wins, you give Diaz the 155 shot and build it around the pair fighting at a "fair" weight against Diaz having a proper training camp.

For 200, if all the injuries and availability worked out I'd go:

* McGregor-Dos Anjos

* GSP-Whatever Weltwerweight Has A Gob And Wants To Make Money (though I guess you could get away with a match against Lawler, maybe even non title if you want to do wrestling booking)

* The two highest ranked available strawweight women to make a new top contender for Joanna

* Perm 2 Of 15 Heavyweight Slugfest

* Punk debut

And then tell Demetrious Johnson we're definitely still doing that deal of big and important fights main eventing Fight Pass and don't worry about the payoffs, we'll sort that formula later.

Gutted, but shit happens. The party's over I guess. I know he'll still be a draw, but he can't talk now like he did before. You can't brag like he did & lose. 

Yeah, that's why the result felt so deflating.

Gutted, but shit happens. The party's over I guess. 

You lads ain't built to win the big one. As a Scot I can identify with that.

263478_1.jpg

Browsing through my social media pages today, full versions of the fight are taking over my feeds. I think this may have worked wonders for Nate's career in the public eye. And I stand by the idea that there will be a big interest in Connor's next fight and that's make or break in-terms of his overall drawing power. If he has a great display and wins, people will be back on-board. Another defeat and I think the hype will be over.

• Paid Members

I think this makes McGregor more interesting. There's only so far you can go with a big-mouthed superman. It gets tedious like GSP and Anderson Silva previously but Mcgregor becomes a bigger arsehole with each win.

This loss will knock him and will make his next fight, at least, a more intriguing contest.

As a result, it was win-win. McGregor's a great watch so him winning is fun. But he's a knobhead so him losing is great too.

I don't know if I should be at this point but it's still suprising to see people continue to fall for the UFC hype machine. McGregor doesn't just have flaws, he has a style which encourages them and yet when he gets beaten up, people act like it came out of nowhere. He has a very fluid, rhythmic style but look at the way he squares up and leaves his chin out hanging - he literally raises his chin, the opposite of what he should be doing, but it's almost like he's leaving up countless gaps to encourage his opponent to throw and then counter. I don't think that's intentional though because he's a proactive fighter, just one with a long list of technical issues in his game.

Luckily for him, he can just blame it on the weight even though that wasn't the reason he lost. It's funny though because he gets credit for wins where he drains the fuck out of himself and ends up being much bigger than his opponent but when he loses to someone who is slightly bigger naturally, that loss can be overruled because of the size issue. If a size advantage affects the perception of wins, why does it only pop up after a loss rather than after, say, the Aldo win? It's important to differentiate between the fighters actual weight and the division they fight in too because that's the real issue.

• Paid Members

I knew Mcgregor was going to become a panic wrestler when DMX dropped instead of Biggie. 

Fuck going back down to 145 it's does nothing for me personally. Any chance of a rematch with Nate at 200? 

• Paid Members

Yeah, that pissed me off actually. Who's idiotic idea was it to replace Biggie? Mcgregor's walkout is normally superb, especially with the way the Foggy Dew mixes into the notorious.

It completely felt flat and flat if shit and bizarrely right then I had a gut feeling we were in for a shock.

Yeah, that pissed me off actually. Who's idiotic idea was it to replace Biggie? Mcgregor's walkout is normally superb, especially with the way the Foggy Dew mixes into the notorious.

It completely felt flat and flat if shit and bizarrely right then I had a gut feeling we were in for a shock.

The fighters pick their own walkout music

Archived