Something happening at TNA

wrestleuk

• Paid Members

I'm probably foolish to even have a glimmer of hope any more, but if they got a tidy product together which had some buzz about it, or even signed someone interesting, I know I'll start watching again for at least a while.

As it stands though, as good (or not) as the in-ring stuff may well be, its a depressing experience watching that dimly lit Impact Zone with what sounds like about 40 people in the crowd. 

Garynysmon's a good man. He's a battered old wife like myself, who isnt getting out of wrestling what he liked about when it first appealed to him. I think he's at the crossroads like a lot of us where he'd rather something be good than nothing.

Thanks Ian. I just have such lofty standards for the WWE due to how much I've enjoyed it growing up, and it annoys me that what they present now is just lightyears away from what made it popular. What happened to that magic formula? 

I ended up watching a random episode of Prime Time Wrestling from early 1992 on Youtube earlier this week, and it was astounding to see all these vivid, larger than life characters. 

The WWE isn't going to change now, I accept that.  Its too far gone to turn back the clock. I'm pleased that so many people enjoy NXT but apart from Wrestlemania and the Royal Rumble (and old school Raw's!) I just tune out because what's the point in spending time on something you have to accept is just not going to be that enjoyable any more. There's just no need to shackle the wrestlers to such a degree and being the only game in town means they will never be in a position to speak out, as working anywhere else is such a massive step down.

So, yeah, I'm at a crossroads really. I've never been too bothered about workrate or match quality, Wrestling is about being over the top and these fantastic characters. That's why ROH etc don't really pique my interest.

It also explains why I'm such a weirdo and love crazy 2010 TNA so much, which was probably when I was last genuinely engrossed in wrestling on a weekly basis. Yes it was daft booking but every Impact seemed to have something mad or a debut happen. The Wolfpac turning on Eric Young was fucking great!

So yeah, basically I'm waiting for TNA to change a habit of a lifetime or something to happen with GFW. I'm expecting too much I know.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm probably foolish to even have a glimmer of hope any more, but if they got a tidy product together which had some buzz about it, or even signed someone interesting, I know I'll start watching again for at least a while.

I just have such lofty standards for the WWE due to how much I've enjoyed it growing up, and it annoys me that what they present now is just lightyears away from what made it popular.

I'm in a bit of an odd mindset (it's been a really shit Thursday), but for some reason I noticed this coincidence. Think I need some coffee.

Anyway, echoing the love for our Gar here. Good man, lots of enthusiasm - I know exactly where he's coming from with TNA.

• Paid Members

I'm not watching TNA regularly at the moment, so I can't call myself a fan really. But I don't mind seeing someone with a bit of enthisuasm towards the product as it makes a change to the barrage of negativity everyone seems to throw towards the company.

I don't mind someone enjoying their product, whatever it is these days. It's all subjective. That guy who used to defend their business decisions and pretend everything that was going down the pan wasn't piss or shit was a weird one.

They're clearly not dead. Linus's recent post was the best on the subject though. What are they staying alive for?

• Paid Members

As it stands though, as good (or not) as the in-ring stuff may well be, its a depressing experience watching that dimly lit Impact Zone with what sounds like about 40 people in the crowd. 

Garynysmon's a good man. He's a battered old wife like myself, who isnt getting out of wrestling what he liked about when it first appealed to him. I think he's at the crossroads like a lot of us where he'd rather something be good than nothing.

Thanks Ian. I just have such lofty standards for the WWE due to how much I've enjoyed it growing up, and it annoys me that what they present now is just lightyears away from what made it popular. What happened to that magic formula? 

I ended up watching a random episode of Prime Time Wrestling from early 1992 on Youtube earlier this week, and it was astounding to see all these vivid, larger than life characters. 

The WWE isn't going to change now, I accept that.  Its too far gone to turn back the clock. I'm pleased that so many people enjoy NXT but apart from Wrestlemania and the Royal Rumble (and old school Raw's!) I just tune out because what's the point in spending time on something you have to accept is just not going to be that enjoyable any more. There's just no need to shackle the wrestlers to such a degree and being the only game in town means they will never be in a position to speak out, as working anywhere else is such a massive step down.

So, yeah, I'm at a crossroads really. I've never been too bothered about workrate or match quality, Wrestling is about being over the top and these fantastic characters. That's why ROH etc don't really pique my interest.

It also explains why I'm such a weirdo and love crazy 2010 TNA so much, which was probably when I was last genuinely engrossed in wrestling on a weekly basis. Yes it was daft booking but every Impact seemed to have something mad or a debut happen. The Wolfpac turning on Eric Young was fucking great!

So yeah, basically I'm waiting for TNA to change a habit of a lifetime or something to happen with GFW. I'm expecting too much I know.

Forget TNA, and don't even think about GFW - these people are idiots and will continue doing the same old shit until they have an audience of single figures. If you like larger than life characters, then check out Lucha Underground. Or dip into Chikara-Pro or Hoodslam. Or AIW or Canada's SMASH. There's LOADS out there, all brilliant and different.

That according to Meltzer they're giving away for free.

Did he? I remember him saying that as theyre a private company no one knows, but I don't remember hearing that for sure.

Newsletter for this week released yesterday said there's no definitive answer from anyone within the company high-up. But it certainly looks that way.

• Paid Members

They're not dead, they just got a new TV deal. They might be ran by a complete idiot, but they're not dead. I almost find it admirable they keep surviving.

I still bust out the TNA VHS collection of 05-06 on a regular basis (one of the most entertaining TV years of wrestling tv for me personally).

That according to Meltzer they're giving away for free.

The company is dead, just the owner is too stupid to realise. The weekly PPV days were ace, great wrestling and the odd surprise. Great days.

1. Debatable

2a. Fact and 2b. Debatable

• Paid Members

I watched the weekly PPVs earlier this year. Some of the stuff on there made todays TNA look like early 80s Mid-South. I dont think a single storyline had a conclusion. That's not an exaggeration for comedy effect either. Things just happened and then disappeared back in those days. Then they'd do stuff like having Brian Christopher, David Flair and Erik Watts as a heel stable and making Inferno Disco the TNA version of The Rock. Pure shite. 2 people could cut money promos in 2003. James Mitchell and Raven, and it was obvious by watching those shows someone was out to get them both. They were booked so poorly. 2005 and 2006 TNA was really good. It wasnt perfect obviously, but it had a base to where if they improved the bad things, they'd be watchable every week. Its amazing how off track they got. Even in 2009, there was this mix of name talent and great wrestlers which made them look potentially exciting. The weekly PPV days just look like WCW Thunder ran from a barn in Tennessee. Which in fairness, it was.

Oh, and as much as I like Jeff Jarrett, he just sucked the life out of anything good back in 2003-05. He was all over every thing. And he was so uninteresting as well. It wasnt like he was Triple H, who was at least over when he was overexposed. Jarrett thought he was way better than what he was.

Archived