Something happening at TNA

wrestleuk

• Paid Members

Time-buys on TV stations used to be commonplace in wrestling a generation ago, since the idea was that you were effectively advertising your product in order to drive your bread-and-butter business of house show tickets, PPV buys and merchandise.

Oh.

Precisely. 85 million reach on POP TV is meaningless given it's a total nothing station, while WGN America is kinda like if we had a Channel 6 (ie a smaller Channel 5). From a quick glance, WGN's highest ever rated show did roughly twice the highest rated show ever on POPTV. And in any case its irrelevant to TNA given it barely runs PPV or house shows.

Literally the only point of TNA being on TV in the US now is to get programming fees. If they're paying for time, or giving the show away for free, this doesn't help.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Everything TNA did came accross as a piss poor version of WCW at its piss poorest in 1998-2000 except without the venue size, illustrious back catalogue and previous winning streak!

That's just not true, they had a feel of something genuinely fresh and on the cusp of being an interesting quasi-Indy. They weren't a challenge to Vince but they were something worth tuning into, worth following and had a vehicle the likes of Roh and CZW didn't.

Those few months were golden.

They fucked it up though, they royally fucked themselves in the end. It's like that scene in American History X but where every one is played by Ed Norton, they don't like what they are doing to themselves and we don't really want to watch it.

On the face of it TNA are in a much stronger position than they were 12 months ago the wage bill will be a lot lower they've finally spent time building some of there own stars in the likes of ec3, Eli drake & bram and now they've landed on a network with a greater reach by a considerable difference than destination America

There's lots they need to change to the product don't get me wrong I think there current creative path sucks but if they do something about it there in a much better position to capitalise on it than they were on destination America

• Paid Members

Destination America has less reach, but better ratings for their shows than Pop TV. Just because you're in more peoples homes, doesnt mean more people have a clue you exist. And fuck only knows what Pop TV are paying them (if anything) after they've been kicked off two networks in the last 18 months. The thing with TNA is you always have to have in the back of your mind that they will fuck it up eventually. Probably via an e-mail to someone calling the head of the network a cunt.

In amongst the talk about the details of the deal and who they may or may not sign (especially in other places), I'm hoping internally the company take the next 6 or so weeks to actually plan 2016. That's the taping schedule, PPV's and storylines. 

It's quite telling that the most consistent period or quality, nuanced (in-match) storytelling, action and lack of bluster in 2015 has occurred (in my opinion) during this World Title Series, even if the premise was pretty daft. Again, just my opinion. 

The company has been the most refreshing, straightforward, alternative and wrestling-focused it has in a long time (dare I suggest, how people have said they should have been for years) and the sad thing is it was basically forced into it by circumstance. And it has come at a period that interest in (and goodwill towards) the product has never been so low. A lot of those who don't actively want the company to fold simply do not care. 

So I say with a roster that contains so few 'Stars' and a good number of potential gems could do with a booking/creative team that can show them at their best. In my view, whoever is responsible for the World Title Series as a concept and its sports-like presentation should be allowed to lead the creative direction in 2016. If it's Billy Corgan (and I have a tiny hunch it is) then so be it. It's very likely the company will return to presenting storylines and hooks every week, hopefully building to pay per views or iMPACT specials that are not just normal shows with stickers on them.

Otherwise, what will happen is after a quality, engaging period that is in effect a holding pattern (that so few people will ever see) people will dial back in on January 5th and be presented with the same style and stories (takeover, iMPACT as a plaything, factions, title hot-potato, etc) that chased people away in the first place.

Look at creative and if needs be, change the personnel. Big John's role should be looked at as well, but if he is to be shown the door, is there anyone out there with a proven record of (even moderate) success that would come to the company? And anyone who Dixie Carter will let run operations without her feeling the need to get involved herself? And I do believe this time Dixie does need to take a step back from both the television product and the creative process.

I love TNA's amateur hour smoke and mirrors BS.

"We're available in X million homes" means the square root of eff all.

It's like a business boasting about how much they've spent. Very nice, but tell us about income.

Still, it keeps the dream alive for some guys and girls who want to be part of the industry.

Archived