I Have Never...

JNLister

• Paid Members

So we've all done and seen a lot as wrestling fans, but we all have those odd, unexpected and possibly even embarrassing gaps in our wrestling fandom. What is your wrestling experience missing that other folk might be surprised to learn about.

Three for me:

I have never seen the Ric Flair-Sting match from Clash 1. It's probably the most famous US match that's readily available on tape that I've never seen. No specific reason why not, it's just that I never had Clash 1 when I was trading tapes, I've not got round to watching the second Flair DVD set yet (which has it on), and I haven't yet started my "watch all the WCW shows on the network that I've not watched in full" marathon yet.

I have never been to a show at Madison Square Garden, despite all my US trips. I did have tickets for a house show once, but the idea was a week in Chicago with my lady friend of the time and then a week in New York, but I decided to stay in Chicago another week. Told the lady it was for her, but to be honest it was largely because she had USA Network and many New York hotels didn't, and the first week I was there had the set-ups for the Batista turn and the Chris Leben-Josh Koscheck match, so I couldn't miss TV the next week. I also have MSG on the flip side as in 2000 I had tickets for AC/DC at the Garden, but sacked off the show because ECW ran Hammerstein Ballroom for the first time.

I have never seen John Cena live as a babyface. Saw him on three shows as a heel in 2003, but between the increasing ticket prices, going to more British shows and no longer being so arsed about seeing WWE guys live, I've only been to two WWE shows since then, neither of which he was on. In theory there should be loads of current stars I've never seen live, but quite a few of them I've seen on British promotion shows or visits over here by US indy groups.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've never watched either of the Taker/Michaels WrestleMania matches.

I have this weird feeling that their status has outgrown the matches so much, that I'll be disappointed that they won't live to to the hype when I watch them.

I've never watched either of the Taker/Michaels WrestleMania matches.

I have this weird feeling that their status has outgrown the matches so much, that I'll be disappointed that they won't live to to the hype when I watch them.

I'm fairly confident you will.

At the time, they were something else because with the occasion, importance, and history, they went further than any matches had until that point and created an amazing and fitting spectacle. But rather than keep epics like that safely tucked away for appropriate times when the occasion warranted it, the WWE instead used those matches to serve as a template for every big match on any monthly PPV (and even some TV matches), oblivious to the circumstances and context that made the excesses work perfectly in the Taker/HBK matches. When you look at some of the features that typify the WWE style today....the killing of finishers, extended finishing sequences, and necessity to squeeze every last bit of shit into every match for example, you don't have to look too far to see the obvious influences from the Taker/HBK matches.

It's a shame too, because in their own right, the matches were great and deserve to be more fondly remembered, but unfortunately, looking at the direction WWE has went since then, their legacy is going to predominantly be a negative one imo. 

• Paid Members

I've never watched a WCW show in full. Not a PPV on the Network, not an episode of Nitro, not even a full hour of that one they used to have on channel 5. WWF4LYF.

You never went over too the dark side! It was actually WCW that got me back in too wrestling. I missed all the good stuff mind on started watching again late 99

• Paid Members

I've never got off my arse and gone to see wrestling in the States, at all.

I've been to loads of shows and spent thousands of pounds on three trips to Tokyo to see primarily G1 Climax shows at Yokohama, Korakuen and Ryogoku (and other feds) but I've just never been inclined to put some cash aside and look into organizing something in Yank. Around the time of Mania XXI myself and a couple of friends talked idly about going to a Mania "not next year because we'd need to start paying and organizing stuff now - the year after that maybe" but by the time Mania XXIII plans might have started, one wasn't into wrestling any more and the other had moved to Nip. Ever since Mania XX I promised myself I'd go to Mania XXX assuming it would be back at MSG, but that didn't materialize when they abandoned the old girl for the sensible financial reason of packing a big stadium every year. A couple of mates and I keep talking about doing SummerSlam one year so they can make it their proper annual holiday and at least promise the wives sunshine and shopping, but nothing ever happens. I'd like to do SummerSlam, a Rumble or any show at MSG, it's just getting round to it. Or Florida for NXT....

I've never been to The Dome despite going to about a dozen shows at Korakuen Hall a very short walk away. Once I've put some money away, I'm sure I'll fund a Wrestle Kingdom trip one year.

I've never been to Dragon Gate live in Japan despite being a big fan and going to every show they've ran over here. They've just never been running close enough to where I've been staying when I've been over there.

I have never watched the WrestleMania XII Iron Man Match

Lucky you.

Archived