Dusty Rhodes passes away

Callum1993

• Paid Members

I haven't kept up with the backstage news too closely of late, were Dusty and Dustin close again in recent years? I remember reading they'd had their differences in the past. Hopefully they made peace. It'll hit Dustin hard regardless of course, but I hope he doesn't go off the rails now. Didn't he have depression and/or addiction problems a few years back?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I haven't kept up with the backstage news too closely of late, were Dusty and Dustin close again in recent years? I remember reading they'd had their differences in the past. Hopefully they made peace. It'll hit Dustin hard regardless of course, but I hope he doesn't go off the rails now. Didn't he have depression and/or addiction problems a few years back?

Yeah, they were super close from 2001 or so.

• Paid Members

Shit news. I've always loved Dusty, and his sons are among my favourites too. I had a manly little tear when they all got together to beat The Shield & save their jobs.

RIP, Big Dust.

• Paid Members

Sad news. He was mostly before my time, and I never really watched much WCW after the fact so never got to see him at his best, but from what I did see he was a fantastic promo.

I'll always remember that promo he cut a year or two ago, where he shoved his hand in Stephanie's face. Memorable not only because it later came out that the hand gesture was unscripted and Stephanie was furious, but because that very same hand gesture was a massive breathe of fresh air. It felt so natural and organic for him to react like that, which is why it struck such a chord with me; it felt refreshingly real at a time when everyone else mostly acts and talks the same, so obviously reciting a script.

I wish more promos felt like a real person saying real things, and acting like a real person would.

But yeah; shit news.

• Paid Members

I think I saw Dusty in some old NWA on the flair sets and comps before any of his wwf stuff, and didn't appreciate him at first.

Revisiting them a year or two later I saw them and him very differently.

He was a one of a kind, a unique entity in wrestling and his work over the years produced many memorable moments, many matches that hold up today and a genuine legacy.

Archived