Dusty Rhodes passes away

Callum1993

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ah shit, Christopher Lee, Ornette Coleman and now Big Dust all announced today. RIP fella, I'll always be thankful for the polka dots

Ron Moody too.

This is a really shit day. This sounds stupid, but Dusty was one of those I could just never imagine dying - I mean, I knew he'd die one day, but it was just something I never thought about; we often speculate when Hall or Flair or Roberts is going to go, but Dust was never going to be in any dead pools, so to speak.

RIP one of the best speakers ever.

• Paid Members

Fuck! That's shocking. Loved Dusty since I saw him on the first show I ever watched, which was SummerSlam 89. Charisma out the arse.

That was the first time I saw Dusty as well. The match with Honky Tonk Man wasn't much cop but Dusty's interview before it was hilarious to me as a kid. A big fat bloke with bleach blonde hair, a lisp and wearing polka dots going on about dancing circles around some Elvis impersonator he was going to fight. 80s WWF at its finest.

I didn't see his more serious promos (the 'Hard Times' one is just phenomenal) until much later but, fuck me, what a charismatic man he was.

• Paid Members

Yeah pretty shocked. He looked alot older/guant last time I saw recent footage of him. Losing The Dream sucks. 69 is too young.

I'm going to give The American Dream doc a watch on the Network.

• Paid Members

Testament to his charisma and talent as well that when he went to the WWF they put him in bastard yellow polka dots and he still got over.

He played the Sapphire betrayal as good as any actor. He looked genuinely heartbroken when she rocked up with Dibiase.

• Paid Members

Really sad news. Shame we didn't get a proper run with the Runnels Family Feud round Wrestlemania, would have been the last great Dusty event.

• Paid Members

Man, my jaw dropped when I saw this. I was listening to the Steamboat interview on Wooo Nation on a couple of hours ago and Flair was saying how much he pinched from the American Dream, which tells you of how spectacular he was.

RIP.

Just horrible. Was watching on the train home from work the July 22 1989 Superstars off Dailymotion where Dusty stopped Boss Man from beating up Jim McPherson (I think) and stole his nightstick, hat and cuffs. His interview with Brother Love where he was telling Boss Man he couldn't police Americana brought a smile to my face as did hearing Common Man for the first time in a while.

RIP Big Dust.

• Paid Members

Sad news. Probably the best promo in the history of the business, the most charismatic worker there has been, one of the great minds and, for a fat lad, a great worker.

Adored Dusty from the first time I saw him at SummerSlam 1990 when his acting and promo were different class. Delivered with such heart and gumption that you couldn't help but root for him.

And that theme song. Makes me smile every time.

Archived