Dusty Rhodes passes away

Callum1993

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I posted the quote "And when you walk behind & you ain't a leader, then the view never changes, baby..." on Twitter as my RIP Dusty tweet.

Having reflected on it for a couple of days, it is quite probably the deepest phrase ever uttered in a form of entertainment often considered extremely lowbrow. (And which often is quite lowbrow...)

I was speaking to Bill Apter yesterday a few hours later after the news broke and I used this quote as to how I feel regarding Dusty's death.

'The man who always had the right words has left us with no words at all'

Apter was out looking for soundbites within hours of Dusty's death? Take a day off, Bill!

• Paid Members

I definitely welled up. It was a beautiful tribute, but what gets me everytime is that video they've shown over the last week is so. There's a moment right at the end where he's standing in an empty ring in an empty arena and says 'until we meet again', almost as if he's talking to us from beyond. Spine tingling stuff.

Very sad news about Dusty. The Dream was one of my favorites and his promos always made you believe in what he was saying and he was a great storyteller. Those old school promos are now a lost art which is a shame as sometimes they were so simple in comparison to the monologues of today, but Dust could say so much in just a few words. He also had tons of charisma, was a successful booker and is also a former NWA World champion. Dusty even took a gimmick that was meant to belittle him but even got over in the polka dots and its a shame WWF didn't bring him in as the American Dream and let him cut promos like in JCP, they would have had a license to print money. RIP Dream :(

• Paid Members

It could be argued his tenure in tna as a Booker was succesful also

It was his idea for the Lockdown PPVs to be all cage matches wasn't it?

Indeed it was. But then wasn't that regularly easily their most successful PPV? I swear I remember reading that. So as daft as the concept seems, it drew.

Archived