#EATCLEAN

PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Actually, I’ll give you Nandos - it’s crappy chicken and chips on a plate that young students types seem to go mad for.

Why does every single branch have hordes of people waiting for a table? I don't get it.

• Paid Members

I guess the quality, pricing and speed of service are all balanced right at Nandos, it finds a perfect middle ground between fast food and proper restaurants. I'm pretty sure an average meal at Five Guys works out a few quid more expensive than Nandos does, but it's still just a fast food experience.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Five Guys is better than Burger King, but not 2.5 times better, like the prices. I can absolutely understand why a lot of people would be underwhelmed on their first visit.

Agreed. Burger King is great, their burgers are superb and I'm a fan of their chunkier chips these days. Five Guys is very good indeed, but nowhere near vastly superior to Burger King although I would slightly favour it.

On Nando's, I'm a fan, but mainly because I love chicken and I also love their peri-salted fries. That said, I mostly go there because there's one right next to the cinema I frequent. If I have time, I much prefer wandering over to Yard & Coop, which does some magnificent buttermilk fried chicken and the famed 'Massive Cock Burger'.

• Paid Members

I was fucked the other night and couldn't be bothered to turn on the oven so I folded one of those raw pizza express pizzas you can get from the supermarket in half and put it in the george foreman grill, it was definitely edible, better than expected actually but not as nice as cooking it properly.

• Paid Members

Last week I took my nipper out in her push chair and headed in to the city. It's only over the last few of weeks I've been on my own with her for the entirety of each day due to my wife going back to work and me taking leave.

Anyway, it got to lunch time so I headed to a food quarter. I assumed every where would be quiet as kids are back at school and it was tuesday. I couldn't believe how busy it actually was so just looked for the least busy and most accessible restaurant. 

I ended up going for Chiquito (tex/mex). Now I tend to enjoy Mexican food anyway, but it's a rarity, but bloody hell, the lunch time special (2 courses for around £10) was bloody lovely. Opted for nachos smothered in cheese, guacamole, sour cream, jalapeños, what you'd expect really but it was lovely, followed by a really decent beef burrito. Unlimited soft drinks too. I've been again since and I realised that Mexican is probably my favourite cuisine at the moment. 

Beef burritos man, I truly love them. Arguably the best meat-wrapped-up dish going.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

I'd agree with that. Never been really impressed with anything at Chiquitos. Now I may be shooting myself in the foot with my next question. Is there anywhere in Leicester that serves quality Enchiladas?

I've only really been able to find Mirch Masala off Belgrave Rd. They have an Indian/Italian/Chinese/Mexican menu. Their Enchiladas are OK. However I always feel they could be better.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

Chiquito's food is just sort of bland tex-mex. There's nothing with any real heat or a decent amount of spice to it. It's to Mexican food what Frankie and Benny's is to italian food.

I don't disagree, but for a run of the mill chain, the one in Newcastle kicks the fuck out of any other generic chain restaurant by a mile (that I've been to). Would much rather go there than a TFI or F&B... especially for the price.

However, I'd defo love a proper mex.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, BigJag said:

I'd agree with that. Never been really impressed with anything at Chiquitos. Now I may be shooting myself in the foot with my next question. Is there anywhere in Leicester that serves quality Enchiladas?

I've only really been able to find Mirch Masala off Belgrave Rd. They have an Indian/Italian/Chinese/Mexican menu. Their Enchiladas are OK. However I always feel they could be better.

I would've recommended Wahaca, which is a pretty good Mex chain, but it seems, with all the restaurants they have around the UK, they still haven't got to Leicester yet. :(

In a couple of weeks, I am going to Bristol to do a bunch of Christmas shopping with a group of mates. I am also going to be going here for dinner http://www.zazabazaar.com/the-food and I will add at least a stone in weight. The worst thing about going there is not having a idea what you're actually going to gorge yourself on, because certain stations get swamped by people and cleared out.

• Paid Members

I'll be honest, I think the one up here is a bit shit. Loads of sub par options (volume of options great, quality a bit average). Then again, I dont mind average Mexican, so I don't know what that says.

There was a Viva Brazil up here not long ago, but o think it might have closed down now after only a year or so, I believe there's one in Birmingham and Liverpool, possibly more. Any of you experienced it at all?

There was always a group on half price offer and it was always rammed. It was basically a waiters bringing you 15 different types of meat, on top of an incredibly decent buffet. 

Edited by Kaz Hayashi