#EATCLEAN

PowerButchi

Good points Carbomb, come to think of it, Nick's Fish Bar in Mill Hill (no idea if it's still there) did really nice Southern Fried Chicken which I'd eat when I was younger.

Another part of London I haven't spent a lot of time in, but if that's a recco, I'll make sure to check it out. Most of the Jewish chippies I've been to are the Harrow & Wealdstone/Stanmore area.

The White House is ok, but closes at about 6pm - useless for a commuter like me.

• Awards Moderator

I can't think of a single London chippy I've been to where the chips haven't been anaemic, and only a few where the fish has been decent and the batter respectable. Funnily enough, there's a big hipster-style fish bar/restaurant just round the corner from my house that actually does a decent rock, and they're very generous with the portions (they should be for how much they bloody charge), but everything else is never really much to write home about.

London definitely. They don't have a clue. I refer back to my "by the coast" point.

• Paid Members

2/5 hygiene rating! What narrative went with that? I remember a grim Chinese buffet place in Basildon had 3/5, which was Normally Adequate. Fucking 'normally'?? Sod that.

Ahhh, Aroma. My wife lost a stone spending a week vomiting up what she had there once.

There is a cracking little chippy in Notting Hill I used to frequent when I worked there. But yeah, decent chippies in London are massively outweighed by shit take away places that try and have the biggest menu ever and sell everything.

The best chippies are easily found in coastal towns. The sea air does something, seaside chips are a million times better than anything in the world.

There is definitely something in this. The best I've ever had are on the coast, regardless of North or South. There's a weird translation going on this thread where Northerners (North of Watford of course) are saying "Southern chippies are shit! They don't do things I find in my local!" When a 'chippy' is a fish and chip shop. The other stuff they sell is for fussy children who are scared of food that doesn't come in pastry.

I didn't realise that my adopted home town of Basildon was known by so many. I know last year a new restraint at the Festival Leisure Park got 0/5 hygene and had been only open 3 months at that point! (Coast to Coast if I remember correctly).

Central London chippies are shit. Where I work at Edgware Road we have Mickey's which has a sign proclaiming it was seen on a Heston Blumenthal program. I imagine because they needed to film him at one in central London because its a terrible chippy.

Any seaside place generally has decent Fish and Chips (southend being my nearest, but some of my locals in Bas Vegas are pretty decent actually), however I have yet to find decent Fish and Chips in Brighton. All average :-/

Anyone remember the all you can eat Mr Wu's chain??? Worst hygiene in a restaurant ever.

This reminds me of the old Chinese place I used to order from. I once went in and asked for Lemon Chicken among the order only to be told I couldn't have it as they had run out of Robinsons...they were making it with Lemon Cordial!!! Please tell me this isn't normal

• Paid Members

I can't think of a single London chippy I've been to where the chips haven't been anaemic, and only a few where the fish has been decent and the batter respectable. Funnily enough, there's a big hipster-style fish bar/restaurant just round the corner from my house that actually does a decent rock, and they're very generous with the portions (they should be for how much they bloody charge), but everything else is never really much to write home about.

London definitely. They don't have a clue. I refer back to my "by the coast" point.

Sorry, I should've clarified - it wasn't to your "by the coast" point I was referring to (with which I'm in full agreement; some of the best fish and chips I ever had was at a frier right on the coast in Selsey, that was supplied every morning by its own trawler), it was the bit about people calling them shit because of the quality of the non-fish & chips stuff.

• Paid Members

Anyone remember the all you can eat Mr Wu's chain??? Worst hygiene in a restaurant ever.

This reminds me of the old Chinese place I used to order from. I once went in and asked for Lemon Chicken among the order only to be told I couldn't have it as they had run out of Robinsons...they were making it with Lemon Cordial!!! Please tell me this isn't normal

I remember Wu's. Possibly the closest to gastronomic sodomy anyone could ever get. "All you could eat" was correct, provided all you wanted to eat was onions; they padded out every single fucking dish with onions to cover up the fact there wasn't enough meat in each steam dish to feed even an anorexic gerbil.

As to the lemon cordial thing, you'd be surprised. I remember seeing a Blumenthal programme discussing the 60s, and how the one thing in that decade that didn't undergo any kind of revolution was food. Duck a l'orange was really popular, but the most popular place to serve it was Bernie Inn, where they made the orange sauce with orange cordial.

Good points Carbomb, come to think of it, Nick's Fish Bar in Mill Hill (no idea if it's still there) did really nice Southern Fried Chicken which I'd eat when I was younger.

Another part of London I haven't spent a lot of time in, but if that's a recco, I'll make sure to check it out. Most of the Jewish chippies I've been to are the Harrow & Wealdstone/Stanmore area.

The White House is ok, but closes at about 6pm - useless for a commuter like me.

I've been there! They're not bad, although when it comes to eateries in Stanmore, you're better off going to Madisons for proper Jewish food. Salt beef, potato latkas, pickles, all delish.

• Paid Members

NO! How long ago was that? Last time I went was probably about three, four years ago, to be fair.

EDIT: I apologise for diverging from the #EATCLEAN discussion, but just for ODW's benefit, I strongly recommend Delisserie for awesome New York-style Jewish food. Their latka melts are heavenly.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

They do have a nice chippy in Bas though Nick, right near the bus station just outside the shopping centre, towards the market.

The Chinese was up near the bowling alley I think, in the town centre. Awful place.

Nope that's gone. I moved here last Christmas and was already shut. There is supposed to be a fantastic one in the Eastgate in the food court, but F&C is an evening meal for me so usually end up in Taco Bell. There is one right round the corner to my house that is pretty decent though