#EATCLEAN

PowerButchi

Scampi & lemon nik naks were for the kids in school who would have gone into the real life equivalent of the thread about wrestlers who stink. Only someone with terrible personal hygiene could think the the persistent aura and stench that accompanies those is acceptable.

I can't abide fish smell but I love these and you're bang out of order

That sentence applies to cheesy wotsits fans though, putrid smelling stuff and a shame cos I love the prawn cocktail and flamin hot flavours, yet a multipack I shall not purchase

• Paid Members

Am a Londoner, but with a Yorkshirewoman for a mum I have to agree our chippies just don't compare with those in the North. Never found any chipshops in London anywhere near as good as those I often went with my uncle to in Cleckheaton, Huddersfield, or Heckmondwike.

Even now, when they're nowhere near as good as they used to be (think I can pinpoint it from when they all switched over from using beef dripping to vegetable oil), they're still better than anything I've ever had in London. Nearest I ever got is the Jewish chippies in north-west London, but matzo meal just isn't as good as batter as far as I'm concerned.

• Paid Members

That one in muswell hill was a blinder, is that still there?

Was it really pricey? If so might have been the appropriately named Toffs. Cracking chips if you're a wealthy man. Too rich for my blood, and no curry sauce OR gravy option.

• Paid Members

There is a cracking little chippy in Notting Hill I used to frequent when I worked there. But yeah, decent chippies in London are massively outweighed by shit take away places that try and have the biggest menu ever and sell everything.

The best chippies are easily found in coastal towns. The sea air does something, seaside chips are a million times better than anything in the world.

• Awards Moderator

2/5 hygiene rating! What narrative went with that? I remember a grim Chinese buffet place in Basildon had 3/5, which was Normally Adequate. Fucking 'normally'?? Sod that.

Ahhh, Aroma. My wife lost a stone spending a week vomiting up what she had there once.

There is a cracking little chippy in Notting Hill I used to frequent when I worked there. But yeah, decent chippies in London are massively outweighed by shit take away places that try and have the biggest menu ever and sell everything.

The best chippies are easily found in coastal towns. The sea air does something, seaside chips are a million times better than anything in the world.

There is definitely something in this. The best I've ever had are on the coast, regardless of North or South. There's a weird translation going on this thread where Northerners (North of Watford of course) are saying "Southern chippies are shit! They don't do things I find in my local!" When a 'chippy' is a fish and chip shop. The other stuff they sell is for fussy children who are scared of food that doesn't come in pastry.

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

That one in muswell hill was a blinder, is that still there?

Not having spent all that much time in Muswell Hill, I don't know. However, seeing the direction that place has gone, I would hazard a guess it's probably now a quinoa salad bar or something

• Paid Members

Good points Carbomb, come to think of it, Nick's Fish Bar in Mill Hill (no idea if it's still there) did really nice Southern Fried Chicken which I'd eat when I was younger.

Another part of London I haven't spent a lot of time in, but if that's a recco, I'll make sure to check it out. Most of the Jewish chippies I've been to are the Harrow & Wealdstone/Stanmore area.

• Paid Members

There is definitely something in this. The best I've ever had are on the coast, regardless of North or South. There's a weird translation going on this thread where Northerners (North of Watford of course) are saying "Southern chippies are shit! They don't do things I find in my local!" When a 'chippy' is a fish and chip shop. The other stuff they sell is for fussy children who are scared of food that doesn't come in pastry.

In my case, I said it mainly because of the quality of the fish and chips specifically. I can't think of a single London chippy I've been to where the chips haven't been anaemic, and only a few where the fish has been decent and the batter respectable. Funnily enough, there's a big hipster-style fish bar/restaurant just round the corner from my house that actually does a decent rock, and they're very generous with the portions (they should be for how much they bloody charge), but everything else is never really much to write home about.