Ghostbusters 3 with lasses.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Presumably the "fat" thing is because she's in Mike and Molly which in fairness, contains a lot of fat gags.

I thought Bridesmaids was surprisingly good and I also enjoyed The Heat. I thought Sandra Bullock was the weak link in it, not McCarthy.

Doubt I'll watch this though. I don't get flustered by remakes of stuff I like because by and large, I don't watch it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a good, long post by Gladstone. Not much I can follow that with.

I'd just like to chip in though- my Ghostbusters knowledge aint great; it was out a few years before I was born. But generally speaking, I HATE reboots/ remakes. If the original was fine in the first place, leave it at that. Do something else. Look at Nightmare on Elm Street. Or Halloween. Not my favourite movies, but they re-made them and, imo, they sucked. And I know Spiderman has been about forever, but they remade it with Andrew Garfield 5 years after Tobey Maguire's blockbuster trilogy. Robocop, they fuckin remade Robocop. It'll be Die Hard next.

In remakes, the charm and originality of the first film is nearly always gone. But hey, this is a little off-topic, because I've not seen Ghostbusters since I was very young, and don't really have an opinion on this new one.

Its not remaking things that's the problem, films have been remade for years and theres plenty of really good remakes. It's the lazy attitude that a lot of studios take to the remake. The Thing is one of my favourite fims end Evil Dead 2 is basically a remake of the first one. Dawn of the Dead was a cracking remake as well.

Why cannot the people of Hollywood just lesve the classics (or at very worst) good films alone. There is no originality anymore.

Because on the whole, people don't start forum threads about new intellectual properties years before they come out. We don't care about originality, we only care about our childhoods being raped or Christian Bale putting on the rubber Batman suit. If every fucker ignored remakes and sequels and adaptations and instead went to see original stuff, that's what the trend would be. Originality isn't lacking, people's desire for originality is.

Plus, they aren't deleting every copy of the originals and replacing them with the new one anyway.

I know what you mean it personally just annoys me. When a franchise is brought back for no apparent reason, I now make it a personal vow not to see the film - I know that is hardly going to send Hollywood running to the hills in search of originality but it makes me feel better!

• Paid Members

I know what you mean it personally just annoys me. When a franchise is brought back for no apparent reason

Every film ever made has been made for some apparent reason. This film is no different.

McCarthy was quite good in St.Vincent with Bill Murray, not a fat joke uttered either.

I'll give this new Ghostbusters a go anyway, at least they didn't just go for a straight re-make with Rogen or the fat lad from Wolf of Wall Street.

• Moderators

I'll give this new Ghostbusters a go anyway, at least they didn't just go for a straight re-make with Rogen or the fat lad from Wolf of Wall Street.

I didn't even think of it like that - if they had done more of a straight copy with guys, there would definitely be more comparison and there'd be no way they could live up to the original gang.

The movie actually stands more of a chance this way..

I know what you mean it personally just annoys me. When a franchise is brought back for no apparent reason

Every film ever made has been made for some apparent reason. This film is no different.

Ok, I should have added When a franchise is brought back for no apparent reason, other than money making and contractual obligations between either a director or an actor with the film companies.

• Paid Members
Excellent stuff from Devon

My problem isn't with the cast being all woman, although it does seem like a gimmick for gimmicks sake (See also arguments about having a female Dr Who or a black James Bond.) If someone is right for a role then fantastic, use them, don't pick them as a gimmick.

My main issue is the cast they have because Melissa McCarthy is just a terrible,one note comedian (The Chris Farley comparison is a great one. I liked him in SNL but Farley played Farley in every film) She is also responsible for playing one of the most unlikeable leads of the last few years in 'Identity Theft'

Wiig I like, but again she'll probably play the exact same character she plays in almost every film, shoe horned into a Ghostbusters story. I'd feel exactly the same way if they did it with the Seth Rogan gang or the Anchorman lot

• Paid Members

Ok, I should have added When a franchise is brought back for no apparent reason, other than money making

Hollywood filmmaking is first and foremost about making money. They would be stupid not to bring it back. It's a licence to print money. In their shoes, you'd do the same.

Even so, moneymaking is clearly not the only reason this is being brought back. It's not a contractual obligation or quick dirty cash-in like Taken 3 or something like that. They're trying something different and it's not just a lazy retread of the original(s). I get the impression that people would have been happier with the latter though.

My problem isn't with the cast being all woman, although it does seem like a gimmick for gimmicks sake (See also arguments about having a female Dr Who or a black James Bond.) If someone is right for a role then fantastic, use them, don't pick them as a gimmick.

My main issue is the cast they have because Melissa McCarthy is just a terrible,one note comedian (The Chris Farley comparison is a great one. I liked him in SNL but Farley played Farley in every film) She is also responsible for playing one of the most unlikeable leads of the last few years in 'Identity Theft'

Wiig I like, but again she'll probably play the exact same character she plays in almost every film, shoe horned into a Ghostbusters story. I'd feel exactly the same way if they did it with the Seth Rogan gang or the Anchorman lot

Fair points, one and all. I can't even disagree necessarily that it's a gimmick for gimmick's sake. But at least it's a different one and I'm interested how it will pan out.

On McCarthy, I have avoided her worst received films so my view on her might be skewed but I had no issues with her style in the films I've seen her in, so there is that.

• Paid Members

I think Sandra Bullock puts me off seeing The Heat more than anything. The wife has been hovering over it quite a lot when picking a film to watch so I'll no doubt catch it at some point but yeah, Sandra Bullock is shit.

:dickin: How dare you!

Archived