Ghostbusters 3 with lasses.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

What irks me is that there was an easy, obvious way of rebooting it and tying it in with the original.

The franchising idea. The early scripts had Ghostbusters franchises all over the place, dealing with spooks in more than just New York City.

Instead they went with the first branch being set up. This is fine as it was 30 years ago. By now, there will be other branches and the original 4 will be working in some sort of senior advisor role.

Cue the "first all female" branch of Ghostbusters. They go out, catch some ghosts, have lingerie pillow fights and compare breasts in the way that movies have led me to believe women do in the evenings, and then come up against the super ghost. They get their arse kicked, due to being all young and inexperienced, and the original four have to regroup in that classic veterans way to save the day.

This is great because as well as focussing on the new teams and having them endorsed by the originals, Venkman and co turning up at the end keeps the old fans happy as it's a subtle nod that you can't beat the originals.

Maybe it's because these Hollywood types don't watch enough wrestling, but it's a time tested "put the new blood over, but respect the vet's" storyline.

And by the time there's a sequel, the girls will have gained another 2-3 years experience and they won't need bailing out. You can gradually phase out the interaction of the original 4 as they're needed less and less.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to mention all the kids who they'll be flogging the toys to will no doubt love it.

I doubt it. Boys aren't going to want to buy toys of girls. I'm not sure who the audience for this movie is supposed to be really.

That's a good point. Maybe Chris O'Dowd will be the real hero of the piece. Who wouldn't want a Chris O'Dowd toy?

Remakes and reboots never annoy me. I just take them for what they are, a bit of fun.  I'll watch this, and as I have very low standards I'll probably enjoy it (I actually enjoyed Bridesmaids). If it's shit, it won't take anything away from the original films. I'm the same when some manufactured pop group (of which I like a few) cover a band I really like, I just don't care.  Speaking of the original Ghostbuster films, I actually have fonder memories of number 2. Vigo used to scare the shit out of me.  

• Paid Members

Let's clear up a few things.

Melissa McCarthy is the fucking terrible go-to woman now for any female driven comedy, every joke aimed at her being fat.

There are no fat jokes that I remember in The Heat and Bridesmaids, both directed by Paul Feig, who is directing this. So there will, probably, be few of them in this.

Why cannot the people of Hollywood just lesve the classics (or at very worst) good films alone. There is no originality anymore.

Hollywood studios are, first and foremost, businesses. They want to make money. That's why they bring back the classics. This film will have no impact at all on the original two films. No-one is taking the original two away from you.

It'll be people like my misses who loved The Heat, Bridesmaid and all those rubbish girly films who probably haven't seen the original Ghostbusters anyway.

The Heat isn't a "girly film". It's got two female leads. There's a big difference.

To be fair they should have never made the 2nd one either.  This has straight to DVD written all over it.

Because Feig's previous two films were such colossal box office disasters and the Ghostbusters name is likely to turn people away from the multiplexes in droves, presumably?

Just looked it up on IMDB and it seems they are going to try and make a deal out of this.

They're going to make a deal of it? Out of a sequel to one of the most famous films of all time? They know what they're doing.

I'm not sure who the audience for this movie is supposed to be really.

Fans of Feig's previous films? People who are excited by the prospect of a new Ghostbusters film who are not put off by the gimmick and cast? People who just want to hopefully see a good new comedy film?

I quite enjoyed Bridesmaids too, though I thought it was about 45 minutes too long. I'm quite fond of Pitch Perfect also.

I bet you did.

You should explain that remark, you wouldn't want to be misconstrued as making a homophobic remark or anything.

Anyway, I'm really excited by this. I really liked Bridesmaids (which makes me whatever Steve Justice is, presumably, hopefully it's not an Arsenal fan) and The Heat, I thought they were both very funny indeed and I really liked Melissa McCarthy in both of them. It does seem that a lot of the bad press this announcement has got has centred around her because, remember, she's fat and all she does is make jokes about being fat and all her films are about her being fat and she's fat.

The average Chris Farley film, if I remember rightly, had way more fat jokes per minute than McCarthy's have. He never seemed to have that particular point made about him whenever he trotted out another one of his piss-poor films, of which McCarthy has certainly made a few too. It seems that Rebel Wilson is getting a similar type of reaction as well for her career to date. It'll be telling to see what kind of reaction the next fat female comedian or comedy actor gets, even if she's trotting out Carlin-esque material.

Forgetting the franchise this is linked to, it's a shame we aren't applauding the fact that there is a director, like Feig, who is doing more for female-led comedy acting and films than perhaps any director since the 30s and 40s. It might feel a bit like 'quota-ism' in a way, but when the system is still ridiculously stacked in favour of male talent, someone has needed to be as aggressive and pushy with their female casting as he has.

Archived