WrestleMania XXXI Discussion thread *SPOILERS*

IANdrewDiceClay

The only way the Cena/Taker match could work on a similar vein now would be if Taker announced his retirement and his last match would be at WM32 in his home state of Texas. Everyone will want Taker to win his last match and Cena wanting to spoil the party would get that edge of the seat feeling back. Although everyone will think, there's no way Taker will lose his retirement match, there's always that seed of doubt there that's it's Super Cena and he'll be put over.

None of this "if you lose you retire" shit though.

Nah, it's age old tradition that a wrestler loses on the way and so they should. Undertaker vs Cena at Texas would be massive. It has to happen. I don't think anybody would expect Taker to win. I wanted it to happen as much as anybody at 30 but I'm glad it didn't now after that Lesnar win.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way the Cena/Taker match could work on a similar vein now would be if Taker announced his retirement and his last match would be at WM32 in his home state of Texas. Everyone will want Taker to win his last match and Cena wanting to spoil the party would get that edge of the seat feeling back. Although everyone will think, there's no way Taker will lose his retirement match, there's always that seed of doubt there that's it's Super Cena and he'll be put over.u

Nah, it's age old tradition that a wrestler loses on the way and so they should. Undertaker vs Cena at Texas would be massive. It has to happen. I don't think anybody would expect Taker to win. I wanted it to happen as much as anybody at 30 but I'm glad it didn't now after that Lesnar win.

Expect maybe, but want definitely not. Cena is the last person on the planet that would need to be put over by Taker on his way out. Not unless they were to finally pull the trigger on a heel turn, but that's not happening.

Just watched the main event again, all involved were bloody tremendous. Roman took that beating like a man and his comeback was pretty impressive too. He's been very good since the Rumble, and a lot more like the cool mother fucker who got over to begin with. All is definitely not lost with him.

• Paid Members

Just watched the main event again, all involved were bloody tremendous. Roman took that beating like a man and his comeback was pretty impressive too. He's been very good since the Rumble, and a lot more like the cool mother fucker who got over to begin with. All is definitely not lost with him.

I agree, I just watched the match back too. For all the talk of Roman not being ready or him being some sort of lost cause now, just consider that the guy just main evented WrestleMania and more than held up his end of the bargain. I think he's doing really well for somebody that hadn't even started in the business five years ago. I'm not saying he's ready for Cena's spot at all, but he's well worth investing the time and effort in.

• Paid Members
Expect maybe, but want definitely not. Cena is the last person on the planet that would need to be put over by Taker on his way out.

Nobody "needs" to be put over by Taker at this point. Anybody that's far enough down the totem pole to have actually something to gain by saying "I beat the Undertaker in his last match" in turn is not a big enough deal to be beating Undertaker in his last match. If he's losing, he's losing to someone at his own level (or near to it) and I imagine, somebody he has a lot of respect for. Which is why I bought into Triple H potentially beating him at Mania 27. And I wouldn't have a problem with it being Cena. I expected Cena to beat him at XXX back when we were all fantasy booking Austin/Punk and Rock/Brock.

Undertaker has already done his big job to Lesnar, and in hindsight it was one of the most effective single jobs in history. There's no way they can recreate that and no need to try. Send the Texas crowd home happy and let Undertaker go out with a win.

WrestleMania draws more money as a brand than any individual wrestler and delivering one or two historic moments each year strengthens the brand. Undertaker riding victorious into the sunset is almost certainly worth more than giving Reigns or Wyatt the win when everyone will know that Taker is leaving well in advance.

You can only break the streak once, and it's already been done perfectly.

• Paid Members

In Meltzer's annual 'who knew what and when in the surprise finish', apparantly the Rollins decision was made a fair bit in advance but kept under wraps. Lesnar was told before he re-signed. Rollins was told during the show, while the Rousey angle was going on. And whenever Reigns knew, his family didn't know about it, which led to the wonderful sight of Sika going apeshit.

The only way the Cena/Taker match could work on a similar vein now would be if Taker announced his retirement and his last match would be at WM32 in his home state of Texas. Everyone will want Taker to win his last match and Cena wanting to spoil the party would get that edge of the seat feeling back. Although everyone will think, there's no way Taker will lose his retirement match, there's always that seed of doubt there that's it's Super Cena and he'll be put over.u

Expect maybe, but want definitely not. Cena is the last person on the planet that would need to be put over by Taker on his way out. Not unless they were to finally pull the trigger on a heel turn, but that's not happening.

That would be all kinds of awesome. Cena cheating to beat Undertaker at 'Mania would be fucking fantastic.

• Paid Members
That would be all kinds of awesome. Cena cheating to beat Undertaker at 'Mania would be fucking fantastic.

That was the fantasy booking me and my mates did for XXX the night of XXIX on the basis that we heard Cena was banged up and only had 1-2 years left. Turn him heel and put his babyface replacements on the map.

Couldn't think of a better place to drop this, but just wanted to quickly post the Squared Circle Gazette Radio talking WrestleMania 31, the post-Mania Raw and Beyond, talking babyface Brock, Roman Reigns' next move, problems with Rusev and Bray Wyatt going forward, the greatness of Rock and Ronda Rousey, and of course, scattered comments on Mania itself. if you're interested, give it a listen and lemme know what you guys think as always...

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/xnc3as/SCGRadio34-Mania31RawandBeyond.mp3

• Moderators

I finally finished watching Wrestlemania yesterday. Well, re-watching it as I was so hammered when I watched it that although I remebered some moments, I literally couldn't remember a single result.

I loved the show. It was all really solid stuff, pretty much. I can count the only few things I didn't like about it on one hand so that says something (the women, the musical number, Terminator entrance, The Rock talking forever). Oh and the handshake. That was dumb. That's still only one hand's fingers' worth of stuff though.

I don't want to reiterate the discussion as I'm late to the party but a couple thoughts... I know people were 50/50 on the opener, but I enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was a perfect fast-paced opener to get people going and it was a lot of fun. And on the opener, I have to say how much I love Luke Harper. I think this guy is fucking great. Really talented; I hope he sticks around for a long time.

I always like when you've got at least one big brute in these kinds of high flyer matches because it makes for a much more interesting dynamic.

Between him, Rusev and Lesnar we've got some amazing big bruisers at all levels of the card at the moment. Generally, having more smaller guys around these days really means their size means something, they can play up to it better, and they tell better stories as a result. Both of these other two were amazing of course.

Reigns impressed me too. I know the crowd was still shitting on him, but I thought he was really good. I thought the pre-match video package made him looking pretty fucking badass, too.

Seeing Wyatt in the ring with the Undertaker really demonstrated how good he is getting at portraying his character (for all the similarities that they have). I hope they don't get bored of him, as I really liked him on the show and think he's really getting better and better with time.

This show gave me a lot to be excited about with wrestling at the moment! I just have to fight the urge to watch RAW because that is the real interest-killer. I have to trust that by the time the next PPV rolls around I'll see all the most pertinent bits of RAW in the shape of cool video packages pre-match or on Network build up shows.

I'll probably still skim The Linus Report though.

Watching it again all the way through on the Network - from top to bottom it really was a bloody good show wasn't it? I think it may even be on the verge of cracking my personal top 3 (17, 24 and 30) by replacing the latter.

I actually said the exact same thing last Monday. It was so strange as it wasn't until a couple of days before the show that I realised it had such high potential, I suppose a bad build can sour you before the show sometimes.

Archived