WrestleMania XXXI Discussion thread *SPOILERS*

IANdrewDiceClay

I've just watched the show back and I was really impressed with Reigns' performance. Every shot he delivered to Brock mattered, each punch actually seemed to leave a mark at one point in the match. It was an impressive feat for a guy that hasn't been around long at all to feel like such a natural fit in a main event. That lovely fist to the mat as the fireworks went off shot added a lot to his presentation also.

I personally think Reigns could easily be heated up by the summer if he were to feud with The Authority. A few months of taking down everything in his path cultivating in defeating Seth could set him on the intended track. The audience would be more accepting of him bettering the slimey heel instead of Bryan and Brock too so the dynamics would switch. This is not including the sections of the crowd who will boo him regardless but that's to be expected.

It's a shame that Triple H will probably sit back on his win against Sting and enter next year's show with his last match as a victory as a singles match with Roman seems like such a natural fit.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea how they get him to the level they want now, seeing as they Ryback'd him.

For 'Ryback'd' see Ambrose, that's a man who will never be at main event level.

I think they can easily salvage Reigns at the moment.

He need's something big soon though.

Why don't you think Ambrose will ever be main Event material? (he's one of few new generation guys I can stomach)

Got round to watching the show yesterday. Don't think it was as good as last year but it was still very enjoyable, apart from Sting looking like a prize bellend shaking the hand of a man who just committed attempted murder against him, and the The Authority/Rock & Ronda segment seemed to go on FOREVER. Don't see why they couldn't have done it on RAW rather than in the middle of Wrestlemania.

The tag four way on the pre-show was spottacular and served it's purpose, the battle Royale was shite.

Ziggler did he usual pretend to be dead for five minutes and then run up a ladder at 100mph routine.

Didn't like Cena/Rusev as much as the Fast Lane match. Don't know if it was just because we called it months ago that Cena was going to be the guy to beat Rusev and so just didn't see it going any other way.

Thought that Undertaker looked really good in his match , and genuinely thought that Wyatt had it at one point.

No idea what they do with Reigns now, he's booked against Big Show in street fights on the UK tour. He looked a right muppet smiling when he was getting battered and the crowd just weren't buying it. Can't help but feel the reaction to him over the last couple of months might have been different if they'd brought Bryan back on RAW after Wrestlemania.

Great use of Rollins, the match against Orton was solid and the finish were he went into the same orbit as Jaap Stam's penalty was a great visual

• Awards Moderator

they turned Roman Reigns from a silent killer into their hundredth goofy comedy face, but he can't cut a promo.

I think is a much stronger reason. He just looked dumb doing the goofy shtick. The winking, the poopy face jokes just didn't fit what people wanted of him. He seemed to fit the silent killer type, but WWE wanted a smiley, laughing guy. That style of booking would have kept him onside with a section of fans.

• Paid Members

they turned Roman Reigns from a silent killer into their hundredth goofy comedy face, but he can't cut a promo.

I think is a much stronger reason. He just looked dumb doing the goofy shtick. The winking, the poopy face jokes just didn't fit what people wanted of him. He seemed to fit the silent killer type, but WWE wanted a smiley, laughing guy. That style of booking would have kept him onside with a section of fans.

3855%20-%20Raw%20diesel%20kevin_nash%20w

Paralells?

• Paid Members

They tried everything to get the fans into him, but it simply never worked.

I still blame Randy Orton.

Don't follow Gary, sorry.

Big D was a menacing ass kicker until he split up with Shawn and won the belt, then overnight he became a grinning, wisecracking goofball.

• Paid Members

Not that it's got anything to do with anything but the aggressiveness of the main event cemented even further that people wanting Bryan vs Lesnar were ridiculous. I don't even know if he could physically survive a match with Lesnar let alone put on a decent bout with a good finish.

• Paid Members

The thing is with Reigns, a load of us (myself included) called it months ago that he'd get the boo treatment. When I was called on it at the time, I couldn't even pinpoint why I thought it would happen, I just know how fickle parts of the crowd are these days. The booing started before the sufferin' sucotash and Jack & the Beanstalk goofiness and even before Bryan came back, although those just threw fuel on the fire.

I think Summerslam was indirectly the turning point. After that, it started to become clear that WWE's plans were for Reigns to beat Brock for the title at WrestleMania, and the same fans that loved him in The Shield took exception to WWE 'forcing' this guy on us as their chosen one (despite the fact they were acting on the positive reactions he had gotten). I'm actually quite certain it's an act of defiance because the fans didn't feel they pushed him in the top spot like they did (or like to think they did) with Punk and Bryan.

Sexy Dad is right, Reigns was very impressive at WrestleMania, as was he at Fast Lane. He's more than held his end of the bargain lately. If that isn't going to get the Ziggler-loving types on side then I have a feeling they're always going to hate him, like Cena. No matter what he does. But as Triple H said in the Austin podcast, the crowd are so varied and split now, it's near impossible to find somebody that EVERYONE likes (Bryan is one), which muddies the face/heel bias. Maybe they need to take a shades of grey approach you get with Game of Thrones for some characters. It could be the age of the tweener.

• Paid Members

I don't even know if he could physically survive a match with Lesnar let alone put on a decent bout with a good finish.

On top of that, in a WWE landscape where Lesnar has battered The Undertaker, convincingly brutalized a guy as tough as John Cena, and then required a guy with the build and style of Reigns to give him a good fight.... would anyone believe a competitive match between Bryan and Lesnar?? I enjoy Bryan's matches as much as the next guy, but I can't see Brock standing in the corner as he does his repeated running boots without getting bored and lamping him, I wouldn't believe the busaiku knee kick even taking Lesnar off his feet, and if Bryan put him in the Yes Lock, he just stands up, and chucks him so hard into the corner or over the ropes that everything on Daniel breaks at once.

• Paid Members

I don't even know if he could physically survive a match with Lesnar let alone put on a decent bout with a good finish.

if Bryan put him in the Yes Lock, he just stands up, and chucks him so hard into the corner or over the ropes that everything on Daniel breaks at once.

Well now you've gone and made it sound great

• Paid Members

On top of that, in a WWE landscape where Lesnar has battered The Undertaker, convincingly brutalized a guy as tough as John Cena, and then required a guy with the build and style of Reigns to give him a good fight.... would anyone believe a competitive match between Bryan and Lesnar?? I enjoy Bryan's matches as much as the next guy, but I can't see Brock standing in the corner as he does his repeated running boots without getting bored and lamping him, I wouldn't believe the busaiku knee kick even taking Lesnar off his feet, and if Bryan put him in the Yes Lock, he just stands up, and chucks him so hard into the corner or over the ropes that everything on Daniel breaks at once.

I'm not Bryan's biggest fan but I'd love to see a Bryan-Lesnar match. The story would be different than any other wrestler to face Lesnar because Bryan is sold as a wrestler. They even let him use the W word. So the match would be all holds and leverage and escaping the Beast, forcing Lesnar to wrestle, too. It would be a fascinating spectacle. Actually, I just remembered who books this shit. It would suck.

Archived