Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

4 hours ago, Tamura said:

Michael_3165's wish for more "decent classics from non-TV showings" isn't prevented by the "lack of cameras" as you claimed, since the footage quite clearly exists.

Mad really that they only ever show shitty quality fancam footage of the MSG Curtain Call when they had the Raw cameramen covering it all, isn't it? And that they usually only ever show photographs of house show title changes rather than the TV-quality footage they've definitely got of them all? You'd think Bret Hart would've noticed all the cameras recording his house show matches he had with the Bulldogs that were definitely the best matches ever and Hulk Hogan couldn't follow them but nobody would ever see, or that Shawn and Razor would've noticed the cameras when they were having their house show matches every night that were definitely better than their WrestleMania match. For matches that good, it's mad that WWE are just sitting on them.

The odd bits of footage that exist from sources other than TV tapings are sporadic and usually of poor quality, hence your example being one they happened across almost by chance in a tub of poorly-marked shit from WCW. The lack of cameras at events where there weren't cameras certainly limits their suitability for finding gems to put on the WWE Network. Which is why the majority of stuff in the Hidden Gems section is developmental matches, a current star's tryout match as a young jobber, or a WWF star being sent to wrestle for an ECW/SMW/UPW group. There's maybe around a handful of clips in there that aren't from TV tapings of some kind. The cost of recording for TV means that even Raw tapings aren't profitable as live events. If WWE brought the production crew to every event, it would've financially crippled them years and years ago.

• Paid Members

I’ve been dying to see the Whitley Bay Ice Rink show from the 1993 tour. There was a fuckin belter between the Smoking Gunns vs Red & Black Knights. If it’s not in the hidden gems section by noon on Thursday, I’m cancelling my subscription to Readers Digest &/or Wives.

Going through Raw from about SummerSlam 99 on. Is there a big time, protected guy whose had worse stuff written for him that Undertaker? We all know about his dubious run of monster of the month matches but in terms of pure verbiage his stuff from this period is the absolute shits. Before the network I'd only really seen him and Big Show isolated in that SummerSlam match but the whole run has some proper mental stuff from him. I'd already known of the infamous bike story from the Attitude Era podcast - there's plenty of weird parables he spins in taking Big Show under his wing - but there's some proper snark, too. 

It's essentially to compensate for his lack of physicality at the time (he'd go on hiatus shortly before Unforgiven to deal with groin issues) but the guy just talks too much. He comes off as a sort of bitchy synthesis of Mr. Miyagi, a deadhead and some lifer who mumbles prison philosophy to Louis Theroux. He's disposing of Michael Cole in interviews like a Mean Girl, doing dad jokes with JR and King and at the same time telling Mideon to bring him his opponents hearts. In that deadpan way that tells you that despite the wardrobe opening up a bit there's parts of him still doing the "I'm honestly Satan" thing. 

There's some utter filth on the shows around this time. The Chaz domestic abuse angle and Bossman pissing on Pepper's grave all narrowly come after Russo stop's writing the TV in September, though they may have been mapped out already. WCW are already getting sick of him by the time Big Show's daddy is sleeping with the worms and Stephanie McMahon is suggested to have been assaulted in some manner by DX behind closed doors. 

It's the most attitude part of the Attitude Era, and despite this it's still the most watchable period of Raw in history for me, despite the 97 and 00 stuff being far more critically acclaimed. The shows look a little cleaner, Austin becoming more sporadic seriously airs out the product, Rock is just given a mic at every available opportunity and is over like rover, the Hardy Boyz and E&C begin their upward momentum with the brothers Dudley coming in and Triple H figures out how to soak his hair and add 'ah' to everything. The matches aren't there yet but Triple H is an absolute cunt as soon as he gets the belt. Arguably more than he would ever be again. 

It's an easy watch. 

Edit: And here's that bike promo, if you've never heard it. It's something:

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

I've been watching this period of 1999 recently thanks to that fucker @Liam O'Rourke and his timeline and its pretty dreadful. The Rock and Foley are great and the rise of E&C and the Hardys is a little shining beacon but the rest is shocking. You've got the worst "shocking for the sake of it" stuff they'd do until late 2002, Austin is struggling for something to do after the McMahon feud, Taker & Show are horrific, Jericho comes in like a Lion and is a lamb by week 2, DX went down the toilet and then came back and was the worst incarnation, Triple H is barely over and for good reason given he fucking lost to Vince, as entertaining as The Rock's promos are, he's down the card interacting with some right shithouses. It's a rotten period. 1998 is far, far better. It goes without saying that 1997 & 2000 are. And the PPVs? Jesus they're bad around that time.

The Hollys are great though, I'll give them that.

That's the thing with retrospective viewing. I only put on old Raw as background fodder anyway, and I find those shows really watchable. To be fair it's because I'm overly familiar with those other years though yeah, they're better. I tend to distinguish between 'watchable' and 'better' when it comes to wallpaper viewing like this. 

I feel like 97 at least deserves to have its rose tints disputed just a tad. There's no denying the majesty of the Hart Foundation, the best HBK ever and the best Stone Cold ever. But when it comes to sifting through hours of this stuff whilst working on other things there's also fucking hours of Godwins, Headbangers and midgets. It does deserve a mention, to counterpoint the pure zealotry the period gets. They weren't all stunners on Vince. Sometimes they were Patriot promos in Muncie, Indiana. 

2000, as usual, probably wins any quality arguments based on anything other than subjective fondness.  

Edited by Gay as FOOK

I think I'm gonna go back to were I left off on wwe raws and ppvs in 95 I stopped watching from the 1st in your house might carry on from there... Love  the roster... diesel, razor, Owen, the King, Jean Pierre and bret

On 21 July 2018 at 4:55 PM, Kaz Hayashi said:

Interesting, I’m assuming it must be a manned cam rather than hard cam in case the wrestlers take it outside/in to the crowd.

It's one guy with a handheld camcorder (no wires) from what I have seen at various non tv shows.

It was also used in the Sheamus vs Cesaro best of 7 series they did last year at the London Special House Show.

On 7/26/2018 at 11:35 AM, RancidPunx said:

Any really good or entertaining matches on the colesium home videos uploads ?

What are some of the highlights ?

Where do you find those incidentally ?

Supertape 2 has a good cage match between Rick Rude & Roddy Piper, while Euro Rampage 92 has Savage v HBK and Bret Hart v Ric Martel which are both very good matches.

Speaking of the Home Video section, they just added the following:

’The Hulkster’Hulk Hogan (1985 tape), Andre The Giant (1985 tape), Roddy Piper’s Greatest Hits (1985), Life & Times: Capt. Lou Albano (1986), Ricky ‘The Dragon Steamboat (1986), Bruno Sammartino: Living Legend (1986), Macho Man & Elizabeth (1986), The Hart Foundation (1987), Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts (1987), The Ken Patera Story (1987), George ‘The Animal’ Steele (1987), Hull Hogan: Real American (1989), ‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan (1989), Bret Hart: Greatest Matches (1993), British Bulldog: Davey Boy Smith (1993), Undertaker: The Face of Fear (1994), Bret ‘Hitman’ Hart (1994)

And this weeks Hidden Gems:

* ‘Leaping’Lanny Poffo v Nick Bockwinkel - 21/9/84

* Randy Savage & Magnum TA v The Mongolians - Georgia Championship Wrestling 24/11/83

* Angelo Poffo v Pat Patterson - 11/1/77

Edited by WyattSheepMask