Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

• Paid Members

I watched AWA SuperClash 3 last night.

I understand that it was a commercial and critical flop, and sure, most of the matches are pretty dismal, but I enjoyed it. It was interesting seeing a show from that time period really aim for the "Super Card" tag by working with multiple promotions in a way that seems more akin to something like WrestleCon today that anything else being done in the late '80s. You have Tatsumi Fujinami showing up, acknowledged as IWGP Champion, to stand around during a Manny Fernandez/Wahoo McDaniel strap match, two World Champions going at it, and on the same show a Beverley Hills Lingerie Street Fight Battle Royal with the girls from POWW. Bonkers show. That Battle Royal gets more hype through the show than anything else, including the title unification match, they seem to interview practically everyone in it. One of the girls is just called The Terrorist, which makes for some mad lines on commentary.

The finish to the main event is preposterous, and they clearly know it is, as every promo after it (because they have a double DQ non-finish tag match go on after the main, obviously) is about it being a shitty finish, and the AWA President and Verne Gagne struggling to justify it. That said, it's foreshadowed earlier in the show in a way I really liked, so it's not all terrible, it's just that the execution made very little sense.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, though. Maybe it's because it's a time period I really like anyway, but even though plenty of the matches were naff, they almost all seemed to mean something, and all offered something different. In that sense, it felt like exactly what a "supercard" should be.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, JNLister said:

For those who've tapped out on 205 Live, the Perkins-Gallagher match from theĀ April 11 show is worth a watch.

Was this the one where they used the dab-off spot like TJP/Swann had in CWC? If so, agreed it was a good match. Perkins is so much better as a heel- his subtle heel antics before reaching the final in CWC were done well, he just looks like a right cocky arrogant little shit so it makes sense to play along with that. Gallagher is brilliant nearly all the time.

• Paid Members

Gallagher is such a rare thing in WWE in that he's a gimmick guy, a comedy act, but you believe he can handle himself once he's in the ring. He's rarely booked as a joke, and even if the matches start out with the comedy spots, they escalate realistically to him throwing out headbutts and big fucking kicks. Can't think of anyone since Regal who got that sense of timing right. His matches with Neville are always class, towards the end they go almost Shibata-esque in just throwing big moves at each other and popping right back up into the next one in short sprints, really feeling like they'll try anything to win.

205 Live mostly bores me, but Gallagher has been a delight since being the surprise highlight of the CWC for me.

Echoed that TJP makes for a great heel and an unlikeable face, so I'm hoping he's not setting up for an inevitable Virgil turn on Neville.

• Paid Members

Watched the first Prime Time of 1989. I'd never seen that angle from '88 where Bad News manhandles Jack Tunney. I've never seen anyone lay their hands on Tunney.

I've seen the interview where he calls out Savage before but completely forgotten that he accused Liz of "doing favours" for Tunney. Jesse mentions it on narration too. Amazing during this "cartoon era".

I like Prime Time but it can drag. Ten minute matches that would be 1 minute on Challenge are the norm. The commentary flicking randomly between about 6 people is weird too. Worst thing about this show though was Monsoon. I've always liked Gorilla. Loved even. What an arrogant cunt he is throughout this though. He makes a pretending to be hungover Heenan sympathetic.

• Paid Members

I really like Primetime, the matches are always random and have little significance but the old school vibes, nostslgic valueĀ and Monsoon/Heenan combo make it enjoyable for me.Ā 

• Paid Members

Watching what I believe to be the first episode of PrimeTime. Heenan and Monsoon are celebrating the New Year of 1989. Those two had such great chemistry. Heenan is playing the meek heel to a tee in the early exchange between the two of them.

First match is Jim Powers vs Dangerous Danny Davis. Commentary by Lord Alfred Hayes and Sean Mooney. The Lord tells us all about the back story in a great verbal style.

Whatever happened to Jim Powers?

Is that Jimmy Hart on the vocals for Powers entrance music?

Ā 

• Paid Members

Paul Roma spoke about Powers on his recent Austin interview, Roma registers high on the bullshit meter when he talks but im pretty sure i remember Roma saying that Powers was a guy who had a lot of issues with drink and drugs.

Do we realistically think WWE will ever start adding programmes like Velocity, Heat or Shotgun? Or would there not be any value in that?

Dying for the day I can watch old episodes of they programmes.

You might get the first couple of years of Heat because they actually put a bit of effort into those before it just became a nothing show to flog to international markets.

Id be suprised if things like Velocity or Shotgun get added because I think the only people who'd actually be excited for it are total shut-ins, but then again they'veĀ just added another 120 odd episodes of Prime Time Wrestling so it's hard to gauge exactly what they consider of value. If they add WCW Thunder and maybe some WWF TV from 90-92Ā I'd be happy enough with the network as it is.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I think Heat and Velocity will end up on there, mostly because they've been on the Network in some capacity before- although, strangely enough, maybe some of the only videos WWE have uploaded but taken down. Heat was on there around Christmas time as part of the 12 Days of Attitude compilation, while different Velocity clips have floated around as "hidden gems", and I think there's a couple in the Cruiserweight collection, too.

Ā 

I definitely see value in adding Heat and Velocity. Both shows include a ton of cameos from wrestlers before they became Superstars, and Velocity was a goldmine of cruiserweight action that I used to watch on dial up internet around 2004-2005.

13 hours ago, BigJag said:

Ā 

Is that Jimmy Hart on the vocals for Powers entrance music?

Ā 

Yep, they even did a storyline that Jimmy originally wrote the song for The Hart Foundation but the Young Stallions stole it for themselves before the song's debutĀ to stick it to Hart and get on the Foundation's radar for a title shot.