Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

What I'm disappointed about is the lack of WWF weekly tv (bar the Prime Time Wrestling episodes) from the pre-1993 period.

It would be nice to have the whole run of WWF Superstars episodes on there and they would only be 40 mins long so a handy bite sized watch.

Do official, definitive episodes of those shitty syndicated shows exist? I thought they were localised. Surely people in Texas and the U.K. weren't getting the episodes where 30% would be taken up by crap promos and shills for a house show in New Jersey etc.

I suppose the closest you could get is versions of that archive show that used to be on Sky Sports - I want to say Vintage Collection?  Matches from a specific episode of Superstars or Challenge with new inserts.   Perhaps with Sean Mooney and Todd Pettingil as well as Gene Okerlund hosting to break it up a bit.   But then that defeats the purpose of archive cotnent  

Edited by Doctor Whos Next

• Paid Members

What I'm disappointed about is the lack of WWF weekly tv (bar the Prime Time Wrestling episodes) from the pre-1993 period.

It would be nice to have the whole run of WWF Superstars episodes on there and they would only be 40 mins long so a handy bite sized watch.

Do official, definitive episodes of those shitty syndicated shows exist? I thought they were localised. Surely people in Texas and the U.K. weren't getting the episodes where 30% would be taken up by crap promos and shills for a house show in New Jersey etc.

I suppose the closest you could get is versions of that archive show that used to be on Sky Sports - I want to say Vintage Collection?  Matches from a specific episode of Superstars or Challenge with new inserts.   Perhaps with Sean Mooney and Todd Pettingil as well as Gene Okerlund hosting to break it up a bit.   But then that defeats the purpose of archive cotnent

It wouldn't matter if they were localised anyway. The crawlers advertising shows are 25 years out of date so the location is irrelevant. The promos were for specific shows but 99.9% of them related to matches that were doing the rounds nationwide and feuds that were well established so they aren't going to go over anyone's head.

• Paid Members

They also did generic versions of the syndicated shows where they'd have Event Centre, but the wrestlers would speak in general terms about the feud they were in rather than hyping a specific date and location. That's the version we got on Sky most of the time.

They also did generic versions of the syndicated shows where they'd have Event Centre, but the wrestlers would speak in general terms about the feud they were in rather than hyping a specific date and location. That's the version we got on Sky most of the time.

Ah! That sounds like the ones to go with. Were there many feuds from 90-93 that did TV angles but never had an on-camera match? I know stuff like Warrior vs Jake never led to matches because Warrior left, but for Warrior-Undertaker there's an MSG match at least.

• Paid Members

You had a few of the lower-card ones where the only TV stuff was being on opposite teams at Survivor Series, or where they had the initial TV match to set off the angle but didn't televise the payoff.

The big example would be in 1992 where Vince panicked at how badly the summer house shows were doing and ditched all the main programmes when it came to SummerSlam, so you had stuff like Warrior-Shango, Undertaker-Berzerker, LOD-Natural Disasters and Davey Boy-Repo Man that didn't have the big matches on TV.

Didn't Bulldog and Repo have a TV one? Or was that just the opener to the angle where he knocked him about with that rope?

I remember that summer well though - I used to get tapes off my Dad's mate who had Sky with a few weeks telly on, and after watching a big May bulk with some heavy duty pushing of Beverly Bros/LOD, Taker/Bezerker, Shawn/Bret, Flair/Savage and Warrior/Shango, the next thing I got was Summerslam and I was badly missing context for half of it!

• Paid Members

No idea when they went up but found out Tough Enough seasons 3 & 4 are now on the network. Was news to me.

Season 4 is just the doc they put on DVD.

A couple of things struck me.

A) I have no memory of The Miz and Daniel Puder having a boxing match on PPV.

B) Bob Holly shooting on Matt Capatelli (sp?) is still horrific. Matt looks really frighteningly abused after it and the bizarre backwards justification they use is utter bullshit. Otherwise Season 3 is a great.

Some of you may have noticed that the Stampede Wrestling section has disappeared. Bret Hart put the boot in on that as he owns the rights to all Stampede footage that features him. According to Meltzer, he contacted Mark Carrarno who said that WWE owns all Stampede footage due to a deal between themselves, Ross Hart and Bruce Hart. Bret then contacted Vince directly who has sId he will look into the matter, so all Stampede is off the network until the issue is resolved