WWE Elimination Chamber 2014 Discussion

KingOfMetal

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Punk VS Menry?

Edit: actually as good as that match was, this six-man was still leagues above it. You can probably also go back further by trying to find a match that good featuring guys that have never main evented ANY ppv. I don't think Shield have headlined yet, have they?

By the end, I thought Big E vs. Swagger was a good opener. However, I couldn't shake the feeling that Big E looks uncomfortable. He doesn't have as much presence as someone like him should. Swagger made him look small to me. That's natural being 6'6, but I don't think Big E makes himself look big enough. He's a bit too timid. At this stage, I'm not convinced he's going to be a future main face of the company. However, he's not been on the roster all that long and he has time to improve. I hope, if given a proper go, he breaks out.

• Paid Members

Just watched the rest of the show and have come to the conclusion that Mania will end with Bryan holding the world titles aloft. I cannot imagine another ending. The crowds seem to hate Orton and Batista more than ever, and with that finish (as others have mentioned the way the commentators acted) Bryan has to get his heat back at the big one. Really leaves Trips at a loose end though.

• Paid Members

Something that was in my head earlier, and its less of a "oh that would be amazing" but more of a "I wonder if" has there ever been a major scale protest by WWE fans at an event before?

I had somewhat of a scenario in my head today of the closing scene of WM 30 with Batista holding the title up not to boo's but to nothing. No fans, or at least a majority gone, walking out before the main event starts in order to voice their displeasure at the company. The PR disaster it would create would be astronomical, after all the build up and the network for something like that to happen.

I'm not saying I wish for it to happen, but WWE crowds always seem to just want to put themselves over, how likely is it they'd do something like this just to be part of a "we stood up to WWE" line of fire? And how would WWE be able to combat it in any way?

Yeah. Rowan's come leaps and bounds from nearly melting his mask to his face and looking so clumsy it beggared belief. Unlimited improvement.

Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on the guy, it's just that the other guys really blew me away. I can't remember any section of the match where he was given a few minutes to shine like everyone else got, so Rowan left no impact on me

• Paid Members

Watched this last night as part of my renewed interest in the run up to Mania. Being this late to the discussion there's little really to add that hasn't been mentioned but this was the most I've enjoyed a PPV for years.

Big E vs Swagger was a decent opener. Someone mentioned above that Big E doesn't look comfortable & I'd totally agree. He seems a bit nervous, he's got a great look but for me seems at a crossroad at the moment between breaking through & just being 'Diet Lashley'. Not sure if something will click & he'll find his feet or if he's a few months away from dancing with Albert.

Outlaws vs the USO's was good fun too. Thought Billy Gunn looked great & was bumping around like a man 10 years his junior. Assume they'll drop the tag belts to the USO's on the Mania pre-show?

Titus vs Darren was one I didn't care about tbh. My phone rang & I didn't bother to pause the show.

The Wyatts/Shield 6 man was fantastic, helped no end by the crowd who were super invested. The chants of 'this is awesome' just during the pre-bell stare down. Given the predictions for a Shield 3-way at Mania I was expecting some kind of fall out amongst the 3 at the end. Maybe they're holding off on the Shield split?

Divas - Fast forwarded it.

Del Rio vs Batista was pretty pants. Nobody wants to see Batista, some people on here were previously blaming smarky crowds on his reception but has it now been accepted that WWE audiences just don't give a fuck about him? When I watch guys like the Shield, Wyatts, Cesaro, Bryan et al who look fresh & hungry compared to big Dave lumbering about looking like he'd rather be at home I totally understand why paying customers would be less than enthused.

The Elimination chamber was the tits too. He gets a lot of shit on here but Christian worked his ass off & put in a good showing (my expectations of him had been significantly lowered). Bryan's over as fuck & Cesaro is one of my favourite guys they've got at the moment. I've never been a big Orton fan but after watching the Rumble & this he just seems to suck the life out of the crowd. Given the rumours of him & Batista at WM I was watching thinking 'I hope Orton gets screwed, Sheamus or Cesaro wins, steams through Batista at Mania leading into a long feud with Bryan'.

Overall top notch fun but I expected a little more Mania build up, set the Sky+ for Raw so fingers crossed Hogan's appearance leads to some Mania build up.

I had somewhat of a scenario in my head today of the closing scene of WM 30 with Batista holding the title up not to boo's but to nothing. No fans, or at least a majority gone, walking out before the main event starts in order to voice their displeasure at the company. The PR disaster it would create would be astronomical, after all the build up and the network for something like that to happen.

I'm not saying I wish for it to happen, but WWE crowds always seem to just want to put themselves over, how likely is it they'd do something like this just to be part of a "we stood up to WWE" line of fire? And how would WWE be able to combat it in any way?

I'd go more for the turning around not to watch method, similar to when your voicing your displeasure at a band that you don't like

There are cretins online already planning such a thing. You can tell they're cretins because they think a Batista vs Randy Orton match is closing WrestleMania 30.

As it stands right now with it being Batista vs. Orton one on one, theres no way that will go on last. If they add Bryan to the match (somehow) to make it a Triple Threat Match then it may well do. End of the day, they've got close to 6 weeks till WM, so much can change between now and then

Oh, and for anyone who missed Renee's lovely cleavage

CRY_zps31311ad0.jpg

• Paid Members
Yeah. Rowan's come leaps and bounds from nearly melting his mask to his face and looking so clumsy it beggared belief. Unlimited improvement.

Completely agree. But the only thing I thought was odd from Rowan was in the middle of the "Yeah/Boo" punch exchange, he straightened his fucking beard!

Completely agree. But the only thing I thought was odd from Rowan was in the middle of the "Yeah/Boo" punch exchange, he straightened his fucking beard!

Just after that, when he send Reigns into the ringpost, he checks to see if hes bleeding. Could have just taken a bit of hard shot and accidentally spat on himself or something. Going to watch that match back again today properly

• Paid Members

Odd bit of commentary from Michael Cole during the Chamber match. When Bryan delivered that endless barrage of kicks to the two grounded guys (JBL: "Imagine if he had three legs" Me: "I'd turn this shit off?") Michael Cole said "He normally follows up with a roundhouse kick but no-one is ready for it".

One of those things that sounds insider but probably makes perfect sense regardless.

• Paid Members

I'm watching EC bit by bit at the moment.

Caught the six-man last night and: OH MY FUCKING GOD. Unbelievable stuff. I don't have that many matches that I could dub one of my "favourites" (by which I mean it has immense re-watch value for me), but this is definitely one. This is probably my favourite match since DX/Legacy at Summerslam 2010.

I'm still very much a guy who prefers the singles one-on-one match as the "purest", most important type of match, but I tell you: this carries on much longer, the tag match might become my favourite format.

The IC was a load of fun; lots of action, lots of energy, and, just as importantly, it has MEANING behind it. You can actually see a storyline progressing, it's not yet another in an endless series of matches. Great stuff. I'm hoping it leads to at least some sort of feud between Cesaro and Swagger, mainly for Cesaro - the guy's got momentum now, so it'd be great if they give him something specific and focused to do.

NAO/Usos was great. The old dudes haven't lost anything, which therefore makes me wonder why their run in TNA was so bad. They really must have not been bothered at all, but they always struck me as the kind of guys who could get over without making any effort anyway. The Usos are great as well, and I loved the dynamic of the match, the young guns against the grizzled veterans, with the added dimension of "we used to beat up your dad/our dad used to beat you guys up".

Young/O'Neill was what is was: a "down" match in between the "ups". Did what it was supposed to, for which both guys deserve some recognition, but both clearly need improvement (which I'm sure will happen). O'Neill has a lot of upside, he could do well. Young, I don't know. Difficult to say with him - great look, decent athleticism, but seems to be missing something - maybe it's something he'll get with experience.

ADR/Batista - in itself, it wasn't a bad match. But have to agree with those who say that Batista's gone to shit. He's really not what he once was. I do feel bad for him getting booed, but he hasn't helped himself at all, and I have to agree that blaming it on smark crowds isn't going to cut it any more, especially in light of RAW last night.

Skipped AJ/Cameron's match. Caught AJ's entrance, but that's it. One thing I can say is that, as I've not been so regular in my viewing, I haven't seen as much of AJ, so am not as annoyed by her as some. She seems a pretty good heel, she's fit as fuck (and I personally find her hotter than Trish or Stacey), and, I don't know why, but her entrance music seems to fit and add to her girly aura, which is appealing.

Getting down to watching the Chamber match now.

Archived