The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

Well done, sir!!! And serious congrats to your missus! That’s a brilliant return!

Not advocating “fat burners” as I hate them (Lean Xtreme absolutely fucked me up for months) but a good little natural supplement to speed up your fat loss – and what worked for me in getting prepped  – is get up in the morning and on an empty stomach (or before you exercise) have a dose of green tea (two teabags) with a tsp or two of cayenne pepper (seriously, it tastes awful and hiccupy but it works), followed by a double dose of Acetyl-L-Carnitine and some optional CLA and it’ll give you a wee little bit of assistance.

Gave the same advice to a bloke in work and atop of his (bit too harsh) a diet he’s gone from Peter Kay size to a half stone shy of Christian Bale in the Machinist, since January.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Alright lads. So I weighed myself the other day to find I've put on three stone in the last three years. So I want to lose a little weight before my holiday in five weeks or so. A stone, maybe more. All good so far, have lost 3 or 4 lbs in the past three days. My question is, what's the deal with diet drinks? Specifically Pepsi Max. I love that shit and I haven't been drinking it these last few days as part of my losing weight. It's calorie free right? So any problems drinking it?

• Paid Members

I started the gym earlier this year. I think I’ve been to the gym more in the last couple of months than I did in the almost two years I held my previous gym membership.

I’ve never been overweight (genes) but I can imagine I was massively unhealthy due to the amount of time sat in front of a computer, and then not doing anything outside of that, and I don’t particularly eat healthily either.

Aim is to just add a bit of activity to my life. I’m going to the gym 3–4 times a week and enjoying even just half an hour on an exercise bike, and then I’ll do some free weights in an effort to tone up a bit.

Alright lads. So I weighed myself the other day to find I've put on three stone in the last three years. So I want to lose a little weight before my holiday in five weeks or so. A stone, maybe more. All good so far, have lost 3 or 4 lbs in the past three days. My question is, what's the deal with diet drinks? Specifically Pepsi Max. I love that shit and I haven't been drinking it these last few days as part of my losing weight. It's calorie free right? So any problems drinking it?

Yeah its ok... Best to drink water instead though, Or alternate between the 2. I weaned myself off Soft drinks as I used to drink shit loads of them.

• Paid Members

So I've started running a month or 2 ago and really getting into it and I'm looking for a GPS watch to help track my distance, time etc aswell as timing myself. I've seen so many watches about but didn't know if there were any runners on here who could recommend a particular make or model. Cheers!

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Right, this is what happens when you try squat three times your bodyweight. Fucking goosed I am!!! Goosed!!!

And my health insurance doesn't cover it coz I initially blew my knee in 2006 from years of skateboarding and football. Cunts...

2yjqw4m.jpg

To quote the great Walter Sobchak; This is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps!

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Tore it in 2006 and had keyhole surgery on it. I skateboarded from when I was 7 until I was 23 pretty much every day so they reckon that could have had a major effect on it, as well as footie and just maggot acting in general.

It was always a bit tight after the surgery, but I suppose the wear and tear over the last few years in particular have royally fucked it up and since I've been on this 6 day a week 5/3/1 routine I've really done a number on it.

I can't even do a 10kg leg curl anymore without pain seemingly between the bone in my kneecap completely debilitating me for about a minute.

The weird thing is, I can do close legged squats with about 90kgs on my back with just a slight twinge, but I was told to not even try that.

Gonna end up with Monty Burns thighs, boss.

Very frustrated at the moment...

I've started running regularly recently with the hope of doing the Cardiff Half Marathon.  However, I'm getting pretty severe shin splints literally within 20 seconds of starting.  I've tried various stretches and warm-ups but to no avail, and I've got some tidy shoes which I only bought a few months ago.  I play Ultimate Frisbee on a Monday too but I'm having to skip a week every so often because I genuinely feel like my shins are going to snap.  Does anybody have any tips?

• Moderators

Tore it in 2006 and had keyhole surgery on it. I skateboarded from when I was 7 until I was 23 pretty much every day so they reckon that could have had a major effect on it, as well as footie and just maggot acting in general.

It was always a bit tight after the surgery, but I suppose the wear and tear over the last few years in particular have royally fucked it up and since I've been on this 6 day a week 5/3/1 routine I've really done a number on it.

I can't even do a 10kg leg curl anymore without pain seemingly between the bone in my kneecap completely debilitating me for about a minute.

The weird thing is, I can do close legged squats with about 90kgs on my back with just a slight twinge, but I was told to not even try that.

Gonna end up with Monty Burns thighs, boss.

Very frustrated at the moment...

Aye that is frustrating. Hope it improves for you. I myself am feeling the combined factors of age and prior injuries at the moment. My knees and my left shoulder just feel like shit. Not impacting type pain but just constant niggles. Flared up my left shoulder by squatting of all things, need to work on some internal rotations I think!

I started running about 6 weeks, doing about 20-25 miles a week over 4 runs and cycling to work 5 days a week which is only about 9 miles there and back.

Over the 8 weeks prior to that I had lost 2 stone just from eating cleaner but looking at my weight log I've barely lost anything since I started jogging and cycling.

I'm not overcompensating by eating more shit as my diet is about the same. Anyone experienced similar? Is it a case of my body slowing it's metabolism and retaining as much weight as possible because I'm not eating enough or is that bollocks?

• Paid Members

I recently started running and doing body weight exercises. All was going well and I was looking forward to my runs more and more, even splashing out a ton on a pair of running shoes.

Then I broke my heel bone at the weekend.