The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

I hurt my back deadlifting at 23.

Not to worry you, but with all the doctors/chiropractors/physios I've seen, it still flares up now at 28. It's loads better, and with stretching/core strengthening you can improve your situation 99% but, anecdotally, it seems that anyone that properly blows out their back doing deadlifts or squats, will always suffer with it a bit.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about.  It was getting slightly better but still nowhere near perfect, and then I stupidly did some squats on Friday and I've made it worse again.  It really flares up when I lower my head and tuck my chin.

I was having difficulty putting my socks on this morning, I feel like Mick Foley.

Edited by Slapnut

• Paid Members

Completed my first ever half marathon earlier. Managed 2:30, which considering that I was running in a giant dog outfit (was doing it for an animal charity) and have a crocked knee, was mighty pleased.

You could probably spot my blisters along with the Great Wall of China from space now though.

Did you do the half marathon at Silverstone? I was there, popping my marathon cherry. Was a good day.

You're finish time was damn good. I was initially a little concerned on the lack of creative attire in general and was stressing it was going to super-serious with humourless cretins. Not so. Really great atmosphere and really encouraging guys and girls.

Disregard my 'good day' observation from above. Twas a great day.

• Paid Members

Did you do the half marathon at Silverstone? I was there, popping my marathon cherry. Was a good day.

You're finish time was damn good. I was initially a little concerned on the lack of creative attire in general and was stressing it was going to super-serious with humourless cretins. Not so. Really great atmosphere and really encouraging guys and girls.

Disregard my 'good day' observation from above. Twas a great day.

I was doing the Bath Half. Different part of the country, but same supportive atmosphere. Even a fair few of the super serious runners came back out after finishing to support charity runners later, which was really classy.

Well done on finishing your first though. I've caught the bug for it now, think I'll do the Bristol one in September.

• 2 weeks later...

This past month I haven't been to the gym at all, due to starting a new job and working from 6am til 5 most days. My coach has had a bit of a shit fit, because I said I couldn't help him take a Saturday afternoon kids kickboxing class. I might move to a closer gym because one has opened up literally five minutes walk from mine, but their website isn't up and running yet and I haven't had a chance to pop in when it is open. I have been watching my diet, but I need to try and carry on with doing some weights on my days off and keep up with my kickboxing during the week.

• Paid Members

Completed my first ever half marathon earlier. Managed 2:30, which considering that I was running in a giant dog outfit (was doing it for an animal charity) and have a crocked knee, was mighty pleased.

You could probably spot my blisters along with the Great Wall of China from space now though.

Congrats on completing it, I was supposed to be doing it but health and some other stuff has got in the way the past few months and meant I wasn't able. Even more impressive for the dog outfit too, superb.

So, I was doing well on my latest health kick. Weight peeling off me, workouts firing on all cylinders when, whack, my back went out.

Now usually this would mean id get downbeat and retreat down the fast food rabbit hole. But not this time (well, I've had a bit of a wonky bank holiday weekend, but still).

I've decided to try and not just grit it out, and I'm actually going to try and fix my back. So, 6 years after actually fucking it (herniated discs blow) I'm going to embrace my inner zen and take up yoga. I've joined a hot yoga place near me to go to a few days a week, I've borrowed a few of the DDP yoga discs from a friend to do a few days a week and I'm gonna try and swim a couple of times a week.

Fed up with taking a couple of steps forward only to have to walk a mile back through pain. And, it frankly can't be healthy to have to take ibuprofen for months on end to get through my workouts.

It'll be weird to say goodbye to the weight room..

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

If you're getting back pain then I would definitely knock the weights on the head for the time being. Search on YouTube for some simple stretching exercises and take the time to hit the elliptical/cross trainer whatever you want to call it. Or go swimming and do some brisk walks. Dropping extra weight off your body helps take strain off your back, so going for low impact cardio is the best thing to do until you feel more comfortable with the idea of hitting the weights again.

Then if you do go back to doing weights, wear a weight belt and take it easy on trying to do squats or dead lifts.

Squats and deadlifts have been dead to me for years.

Herniated disc and lower back put paid to those years ago. Before I got a desk job I could pretty much do whatever else I wanted and then could stay active through the day, but being in a chair all day after a workout seems to arise shit up.

Started a new desk job in January - been a freelance illustrator until this year so had time to go on long walks etc. The job is really stressful which has resulted in me putting on a lot of weight.

Started couch to 5k last week, week one was fine but the first day of week two killed me yesterday and I couldn't finish it after 4 minutes of running and shin splints. Joined the gym today and had the most useless induction, but it's full of other fatties so it might work. I'm just not sure what particular exercises I should be doing; I want to lose weight before I think about putting on muscle, and I apparently need to lose around three stone...

On a 1500 calorie diet and have been pretty diligent with myfitnesspal for a while now. I eat the same thing every day pretty much and am careful with it.

Any suggestions for how to start properly exercising in the gym? My cardio has gone to shit and building that up is the goal at the minute. I know that sounds like a stupid question but I was lost in there tonight.

Cheers!

If he's/she? struggling with couch to 5k then HIIT might be too brutal at the moment.

Did they not provide you with a pretty basic fitness plan on your induction? They're pretty standard but they'll give you the base you'll need to move on to things like hiit or a more specific weights program.

Something general like 30 minutes of cardio (split across however many machines you need) and doing a dumbell bench press (free weights) shoulder press (machine or free) some squats (dont worry about weights untill you get the technique down) assisted pull ups or lat pull downs and some crunches and planks would be more than enough if not too much.

You're gym instructors/ machine wiper downers should go through anything with you in terms of technique although there's shed loads of tutorial videos of basic exercises in the web.

1500 calories sounds brutal though so look at that and don't worry about putting too much muscle on before losing fat, it ain't that easy!

Edited by Mr_Danger

Cheers guys,

Yeah, the induction was basically pointless - guy couldn't be less enthusiastic and wandered off outside before we got to weights, let alone a fitness plan. It's the only gym I have access to at the moment though. I'm going to have to look up techniques on YouTube I think!

I'll look at the calories thing - I kind of just blindly went with what mfp told me, and I'm actually never hungry. That said, I might not be getting enough of some good stuff.

Thanks for the advice both, I'll look into HIIT a bit further down the road. Bit frustrating being so out of shape, but can only get better eh...

Was also thinking maybe swimming might be a good way to get the cardio going a bit?