Royal Rumble 2014 Discussion

HarmonicGenerator

He's not a one-dimensional performer, but his merch makes him out to be just a big "YES-ing" beard.

What else do you put on his merch then? A picture of a wrestling ring? Done that. A reference to his submission move? Done that too.

Just a picture of him, maybe flying through the air, make it look artistic, I dunno. But beard-related stuff in general goes to two demographics, hipster types that can actually grow mighty beards, and chicks that like beards. That rules out kids, women that aren't pro-facial hair, and pre-pubescent guys like me. Was just giving my personal reasoning why I wouldn't buy the current Bryan merch, despite being a big fan.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ring of Honor's resident fat bloke Kevin Steen owned Shawn Michaels leather zebra print hat and heart shaped sunglasses when he was a teenager. That to me tells me people will buy any shit if you are into them.

This could be a thread of its own actually. For me Shawn Michaels was the king of horrendous merch. The Rockers stuff was cool then he went to singles and started releasing shirts of himself with no shirt on! Imagine wearing that in Hendon club? And upon his return started selling shirts with "and on the 8th day God super kicked a bloke in a dressing gown" or some other religious play on words. Just a career worth of crap stuff.

• Paid Members
It's hardly convincing myself to look at most of WWE's merch and think "who the fuck would wear that?" They don't have to be super cool, just not a child's tshirt in an adult size. The DX tshirt doesn't really prove anything, they were an extremely over act who mainly just fucked about all the time and cracked jokes. Pretty much a comedy act, so they have a funny tshirt. That's fine with me, it keeps with their character. I wouldn't buy it, I probably would buy a retro one.

I own a few wrestling tops, including Squared Circle's Razor Ramon one. Razor isn't exactly one of my favourite wrestlers, but I bought the top because I thought it was cool. If WWE had more tops I thought looked okay, I would put my hand in my pocket for one. I can't really be the only person in the world who decides what clothes I buy based on what I think looks alright.

The DX shirt shows exactly what it was intended to show, that an over act with a shit shirt will still sell merch. "Pretty much a comedy act so they have a fun t-shirt" reads as a crap excuse to try and tiptoe around the issue that if Bryan is that over, why is he still not shifting anything?

People who are that over will sell stuff, short of it having an "APA Always Pounding Ass" tagline or something. Austins gear in the late 90's early 00's was utterly honking and he still sold tons. Cena has about 1 good shirt in 10, he still sells merch, Hogan had some duff gear like that shirt of the American flag which was missing about 46 states, that still sold.

Personally I find it absolutely mental that any self respecting adult is buying a wrestling shirt because it "looks cool" considering that, as a hobby, it's up there with dogging in terms of social acceptability. Some people evidently do though. However, I don't for one second think that if they released a new Bryan 3:16 shirt or something he's suddenly going to be shilling shit like Hulk in the 80's though.

I am a big fan of Bryan, have been for a decade or more, but I don't think he is as of yet in the same hemisphere that a lot of people seem to think he is and that isn't down to him being "buried", not having a brilliant shirt or having fans that apparently only spend money in ways that are completely contrary to what fans of anyone else does. I really hope everything does click and that he becomes a right star, but to be that you do need a bit more in your locker than getting good chants every night. You need to sell stuff and move numbers, neither of which he has been able to do yet. If he does, WWE will be all over him because it is ultimately a business where the aim is to make cash.

• Paid Members
You need to sell stuff and move numbers, neither of which he has been able to do yet. If he does, WWE will be all over him because it is ultimately a business where the aim is to make cash.

He's not going to move numbers in a positive direction if they keep booking him like a chump, though. It works both ways. If the big bad boss tells us he's a goat-faced troll who's too small to play with the big boys, then Bryan fails to prove him wrong, then he's not going to be perceived as a top star.

As it happens, I'm upset that he wasn't in the Rumble last night, but on the whole I think they use him well. I am confident that there is a long term plan for him to rise to the top. One thing that's for sure, he's a million miles away from being buried, as some berks are suggesting.

If they do have a wobble after last night, which I don't think they will, I still don't think they'll put Bryan in a title match at Mania. Maybe have Lesnar kill everyone in the Chamber, to face Batista and have Undertaker/Bryan. But, he's definitely not getting a sniff of gold till at least Extreme Rules.

Bryan in with Taker will at least preserve Undertakers annual match of the night award.

• Paid Members
If they do have a wobble after last night, which I don't think they will, I still don't think they'll put Bryan in a title match at Mania. Maybe have Lesnar kill everyone in the Chamber, to face Batista and have Undertaker/Bryan. But, he's definitely not getting a sniff of gold till at least Extreme Rules.

Bryan in with Taker will at least preserve Undertakers annual match of the night award.

I think most would be just as happy with Taker/Bryan as they would him having the title match.

I think most would be just as happy with Taker/Bryan as they would him having the title match.

Batista/Brock and Undertaker/Bryan is definitely the way to go.

Bryan's the safest hand going in the WWE (short of Kane), and he's over enough to make it work. Plus both men have the HBK dynamic that can fill 1 episode of RAW amongst all the other stuff. You could even have Orton try to sneak his way into facing Undertaker as "face of the WWE" for a few weeks before it boils down to the 2.

For some reason, Bryan/Undertaker and Batista/Brock excite me a lot more than whatever else has been offered. Primarily because it's not been reported since last July that this was the current plan. This feels fresher and more interesting.

• Paid Members

There was a rewrite of the original Raw script for tonight. And two hours before the show Vince has ordered them to rewrite the show again. So whatever was planned yesterday, isn't happening, and whatever was planned 20 minutes ago isn't happening either. So either tonight will please people or Vince is trolling.

Or Sting is debuting and will show Vince t-shirts are for hiding your tits and not for selling.

• Paid Members

When was the last time they did a big re-write that we knew about? I remember Vince turning up, going apeshit at everyone, re-writing the whole thing and appearing on Raw himself- when he wasn't on TV at the time. Think this was a couple of years ago?

Archived