Royal Rumble 2014 Discussion

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foley protests Daniel Bryan's Royal Rumble no-show

That's absolutely terrible.

They should follow that angle TNA did in 2010 between Jarrett and Bischoff. Then on Foley's next appearances you could have him cleaning the toilets, sorting out some recycling, flipping some burgers and grilling some onions with a sad Mick Foley face.

• Paid Members

Stayed spoiler free & watched the Rumble last night. I've not watched a full PPV since last years mania & mostly keep up to date by reading spoilers etc on here & the odd Raw. When I saw how many pages this was up to & that it had been on the BBC I was expecting something major rather than the solid 3 star PPV I got.

Opening match was great. Wyatt looked good & him going over Bryan builds him perfectly without taking any of D-Bry's steam away. If I were nitpicking I'd say that Wyatt could do with learning how to kick out on 3 as some of the near falls weren't so near. This a minor gripe & this match made me want to see more of both men, mission accomplished.

Lesnar/Show was a spectacle. The two could've quite easily had a plodding 15 minute back & forth affair (which I expected tbh) but this surprised me & made Brock look like a straight up killer. Big Show's punch connecting looked harsh too. Decent match (in the loosest sense of the word).

Cena/Orton suffered from being neither of the above. It wasn't fun, it wasn't exciting & it wasn't a spectacle. Two blokes going through the motions & not giving the audience what they want. Orton tried, he acknowledged the crowd but it simply wasn't what they wanted & it didn't entertain me either. I've read through the thread & like 'Felatio Lips' said, I loved the crowd. Of the dozen RAW's I've seen the WWE crowds have been dead. This crowd were into the opener, were into Brock/Show & into the majority of the Rumble match. In any form of live entertainment, when a promoter/booker thinks they know what's best for the audience despite protestations otherwise then you're on a hiding to nothing. Whether it's customers throwing piss at a band at a festival, a crowd booing & heckling a comic or thousands of people chanting 'This is awful' it's a bad fucking booking! From the POV of a casual/lapsed fan all I saw was 2 people in a championship who nobody wanted there. Poor.

Going into the Rumble I was honestly expecting a big return. This is what I'd (wrongly) assumed all the discussion would be about. The match itself was alright. Kofi did another awesome stunt which was fun. Everyone loves a midget & the NXT bloke who I'd never seen before looked like a legit bad ass (then again I thought the same about Koslov). Nash looked wobbly & shit and Batista was boring. Roman Reigns came out of looking great! The crowd were behind him & he charisma to spare. Maybe all the rumours about Sting, Warrior et al raised my expectations unfairly but when the last spot was filled by none of them I was pretty deflated. If the WM main event is Orton/Batista I just hope the crowd are less invested.

In the last 7 years I have watched an infinitesimal amount of WWE programming. I tried to get back into it in late 2011 but simply couldn't keep up with 4+ hours of programming a week. As part of that effort I watched the 2011 Rumble match and remember being really impressed with what I saw. Some previous Indie darlings kicking the shit out of each other in a compelling rumble. Didn't have a clue who the fuck Del Rio was but good for him I thought.

The Rumble was always my favourite event and I saw someone post about it on facebook so decided to give it a go this year. The 2014 Royal Rumble personified the reason I stopped watching WWE in the first place. New Age Outlaws winning the tag titles may have been something I'd have marked my balls off for in 2004 but what the fuck are they doing there? Wyatt - Bryan was of course excellent with good wrestling and great character work that pleased everyone in the world.

In between the first match ending and the third match starting there were roughly two minutes of 'wrestling' in a 40 minute duration. This is the shit that absolutely stops WWE being worth anyones investment of time. This Lesnar - Show business is a re-hash of a 12 year old feud that was only interesting then to see if Lesnar would f5 Big Show. Vince's hard on for big cunts punching each other lives on to the detriment of the planet as a whole. Only the WWE would be brazen and arrogant enough to justify the 'pre-match' chair attack as fine and dandy because the match hadn't "officially" started!

Orton - Cena. Been said, who the fuck cares. Why the fuck do they take the cop out with heel Champions that are cowards and lose all the time and only win by fluke or tactics from the big book of Sneaky Wins for Evil People. If your Champion is a joke, the person losing is a bigger joke and the whole brand is a joke all round.

The Rumble was tame with a wank winner and Kane pulling Punk out of the ring was another load of bollocks because I'm sure they've set a precedent where that isn't allowed. I know it's fake but at least try to let me suspend my disbelief for the love of god.

Very sad to tune in and see the same old bollocks. I did chuckle at the fact a normal rules title match was billed as a bit of a gimmick, but it was ruined with same old ref knock outs and the cowardly champion getting away with it.

Try again next year I guess.

• Paid Members

I forgot to say the other day - how utterly shit where those pre-match soundbites? I used to love that in old Rumbles, those quick moments of cheese from a load of acts. But holy crap it looked out of place on this show. And all appeared to have been scripted by some tween-romantic-fan-fiction wannabe. Ugh.

The Rumble was tame with a wank winner and Kane pulling Punk out of the ring was another load of bollocks because I'm sure they've set a precedent where that isn't allowed. I know it's fake but at least try to let me suspend my disbelief for the love of god.

You can't really pay attention to "precedents" set in the Rumble match, it tends to change from year to year. Sometimes, weapons are brought into the Rumble, or people get jumped before or during the match and it's totally fine, other years, DQs apply for some ridiculous reason.

It just seems there was at least some kind of logical progression for it. If someone is jumped then they can't compete in the rumble, I thought it would be impossible to be DQ'ed in a Rumble and that's a good example of the stupid shit WWE pull, do you remember which Rumble it was? It just seems any angle where the commentator has to shout the reasoning 5 times "KANE WAS AN OFFICIAL COMPETITOR SO...ERM...THAT'S LEGAL" shits all over what I'm seeing on my screen.

Again, I get wrestling is a fix but when WWE do stuff like this it's likes a petulant child changing the rules of a game halfway through to suit themselves and it just takes away any kind of credibility.

Archived