Royal Rumble 2014 Discussion

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They were disappointed because they didn't get a person in the Royal Rumble that wasn't advertised? They were also disappointed about the match that was advertised. I wanted to see Hulk Hogan and Sting there, but I never lost much sleep over it when they never showed up. The internet meltdown is quite shocking over this. You could see this coming a mile off, hence why he wasn't advertised in the Rumble.

I'd say it was a mixture of there being no decent surprise element in the Rumble match and the predictability of the booking. I do think WWE shot themselves in the foot though by leaking out Batista was coming back, If he would of been a surprise the internet probably would of been buzzing rather than dreading the thought of a Batista/Orton program.

Rusev looked loads better than when I first saw him against Dolph on NXT, better gear as well. Reigns completely came across how Big Dave should have. I think one Bray Wyatt perfects his unorthodox big man style and gives it some ebb and flow he has the potential to be a tremendous worker.

Well... that was fucking awful really, wasn't it? Great opening match and a strong showing in the Rumble for Reigns is about all the fans got.

Daniel Bryan is clearly one of the most popular acts in town after town after town. It's not a phenomenon centred around <enter name of US city here>.

WWE clearly have not fucked Daniel Bryan up by their horrendous booking either, and the guy will still be the most over act come Wrestlemania regardless of how they book him.

And, yes, he is the most over because more people care about him to a greater extent than any of the others right now. Some casuals might buy the shirts of someone else but buying merch doesn't mean a greater investment of emotion and those casuals would buy whatever you sell them.

Batista is shit too so fuck you :)

Because they were a paying audience who were pouring money into the company. It's not like there were a couple of knobheads in the front row who were trying to get themselves over, the majority of the crowd were audibly displeased, and regardless of what anyone says, they are just as important as the rest of the people who pour money into the company. It's absolutely bonkers to write them off as just a smarky crowd when it's absolutely clear that their views are the same as many others.

They were disappointed because they didn't get a person in the Royal Rumble that wasn't advertised? They were also disappointed about the match that was advertised. I wanted to see Hulk Hogan and Sting there, but I never lost much sleep over it when they never showed up. The internet meltdown is quite shocking over this. You could see this coming a mile off, hence why he wasn't advertised in the Rumble.

Advertised or not, they have the right to voice their displeasure at whatever they please. The reaction was clearly a massive "oh for fuck's sake, they're really going with this?" to the inevitable Dave/Orton match and the fact their favourite has been overlooked once again.

It was obviously coming a mile off though, which I think was half of the problem. There was always that glimmer of hope he'd make a surprise entrance, and when he didn't it was just so deflating.

The difference being Hulk Hogan and Sting aren't signed to WWE as of right now. Daniel Bryan is an upper card wrestler signed to WWE, when was the last time a healthy wrestler in the upper card wasn't given a Rumble spot? (save for title matches). EDIT: Decided to research for myself- John Cena and Kane in 2012, they were in the middle of their feud and Cena's WM28 match with The Rock was set. Before that, 2008 with Jericho and JBL, who had both just returned from long absences from competing. So there's some precedent but still, plenty have pulled double duty over the years.

There's something really odd about all this. With Punk apparently chosen as the guy to take on the Authority through Wrestlemania season, and Bray Wyatt moving in Cena's direction- where does this leave Bryan? I thought briefly there could be some storyline attached to this, but seeing how things are starting to line up, it seems like WWE are just intent on pushing him to the background.

I originally set my alarm to wake up and stream the rumble match, but woke up an hour or so before for a piss and decided to turn the alarm off, sounds like a good decision was made.

And who really wants to see Kane/Punk , Kane has been a 'fast forward' for me for years, even more so as an unmasked middle aged bloke in marks & sparks trousers.

• Paid Members

They have the right to run with whatever angles they want to if they see a spike in business that doesn't involve Daniel Bryan. Fans can dislike it, but unless they start turning the telly off when Daniel Bryan isn't on it, like the Cena fans do, then their philosophy isnt going to change. Last weeks television rating was up a shocking amount and they have Orton and Cena doing business on the house shows. People should have had their meltdown in September when they ran him into the ground. Getting your big win taken from you for 4 PPVs on the trot is 50 times worse than not winning a Royal Rumble you were never going to be in. The long term damage of the former is something few recover from.

Also, Extreme Rules is in Seattle. Chances are, he's getting the belt there. If these fans are that inquisitive to assume he's winning the Rumble, they should come out in full force when he's actually advertised.

The difference being Hulk Hogan and Sting aren't signed to WWE as of right now.

Hulk Hogan is. The reason I know what is because like those fans, I think I know the far end of a fart. Hence why me and the fans got it completely wrong. Hogan showing up had way more chance of happening than changing the plan of WrestleMania. And who knows. Its much easier after the Rumble to just add Bryan to a three way. Its far easier adding Bryan without a Rumble win than having Batista added to it later on. Maybe Bryan gets added to it, Bryan wins at Mania and you have a heel Batista vs Bryan in Washington at Extreme Rules, because Batista wasn't pinned or some such.

• Moderators
You could see this coming a mile off, hence why he wasn't advertised in the Rumble.

Which is why WWE should have done something about it. Even having him come in, fight bravely and get tossed. It's too big to ignore now, and has been for some time. This isn't some goofy, masturbatory 'the audience is part of the show' phase like "WHAT?", it's legitimate dissatisfaction, X-Pac Heat, for the entire direction of the company. Nobody's booing because "Ooh, bloody Batista. I can't wait to pay money to watch good old D-Bry give him what's coming! :angry:" These are money-losing boos, not money-earning.

The people want to be able to leave the show chanting "Yes!" with a celebrating Daniel Bryan; they want the happy ending, or at the very least a narrative catharsis for the night. Having him not show up at all, and expect a frustrated crowd to cheer a man who looks like an exhausted penis is like those films that end so abruptly, you think your DVD is fucked, or some exploitation flick where the victim gets horribly tortured and left for dead for the first hour, but with no cathartic scenes where they come back and take their revenge. The audience is holding their breath, but doesn't get to exhale. At the point we're at now, where "No!" represents "You're not who I want to see," they need to start embracing that and book accordingly, or they'll end up with all their main events having to be edited for DVD like Goldberg/Lesnar was.

It was hilarious when Rey was suddenly the biggest heel in the world though. "619!" "BOOOOOOOOOO!"

it seems like WWE are just intent on pushing him to the background.

Which is the worst thing they can do. I can imagine now, in the Main Evene tof Wrestlemania, his name being chanted constantly. They have struck gold with Bryan, it baffles me how they book him.

I'm glad there's a big backlash to the events of last night, can only hope they start listening sometime. They have been screaming out for new stars for years, and the roster is extremely talented at the moment, yet we're still suffering Orton vs. Cena for the title.

Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns are the two stand outs, would've been huge for them to win the Rumble then get their WrestleMania "moment". It's alright having a big(ish) name like Batista back but him returning the way he did and winning the Rumble was so flat. Them in a mid card Evolution grudge match would've been fine, but if it's them two in the main event for the title then it's likely going to get shat on.

Loved the Wyatt/Bryan opener. Real break out match for Bray who proved pretty handy in the ring. Him vs. Cena at Mania is something fresh for both and proves they've got big plans for Bray.

Also liked the Lesnar/Show demolition! Brock is one mean bastard. I was sitting waiting for the Undertakers "gong" to make the save at the end though.

• Paid Members

can anyone else recall another situation when the live crowd was that dissatisfied with what happened? The last 10-15 minutes of that Rumble was painful to watch...save for Reigns.

There was a short moment which summed it up where Sheamus/Batista had a bit of a face off and nobody gave a fuck.

God I really hope all of Wrestlemania is just 'Yes! Yes! Yes!' and 'Daniel Bryan - clap clap clap clap clap - Daniel Bryan'. Perhaps it will take a car wreck for them to realise. I'm all for Batista; always been a fan; but him and Orton does nothing for me - it didn't 5 years ago and it doesn't now. I'm worried because Big Dave didn't look that great in the Rumble, and he is very injury prone... have they considered what might happen if he injures himself!

I think UKFF needs to, en masse, buy a tonne of D-Bry t-shirts.

Lance Storm also posted a good suggestion of turning away from Raw whenever Bryan doesn't show up. It's not just as as fans, but also people from the industry.

Archived