Royal Rumble 2014 Discussion

HarmonicGenerator

As I stated in the early hours, I absolutely hated most of it. I'm not one to cry about under booking people, I don't favour internet darling wrestlers but the recent booking of Bryan, the predictabiltity of Mania and the possible card for that show pretty much angers me.

I liked the opening video at the start, so that was a good thing. I also enjoyed the Mania promo and the theme tune.

Didn't see the tag match, can't say I'm too impressed having the outlaws with the straps. The tag team scene has been one of the best things in recent WWE memory, with hot fresh teams as Cody & Goldust, Uso's, Unamericans etc. Not sure the straps are going to deliver as much with these two holding them. Can't say I am desperate for Cody/Goldie to break up either. They have been fantastic as a team, really delivered above and beyond any expectations and if they do split up I still don't see much hope for either's singles careers.

Bryan/Wyatt was also pretty fantastic, I didn't have any hopes for this match but boy did this deliver. A absolute fantastic opener, as others have said it wasn't just a great match from Bryan but Wyatt looked awesome as well. Really enjoyed this, was surprised and pleased how long it went on. The PPV was off to a good start.

I didn't really enjoy Lesnar/Show, The aftermath seemed like it went on for ever, Lesnar IMO should of just destroyed Big Show in a one on one situation, instead he jumped started Show at the beginning and laid him to waste after with a chair. The F5 was good to see but that's all about I got out of this.

Cena/Orton was average, it wasn't fantastic as some are claiming on here, it had 2 decent false finishes and that was it. It was the same match we have seen over and over from these two. People moan about Bryan not drawing any money but when has Randy drawn any money? Never is the answer. Im beginning to come of the opinion that Orton is one of the most overated wrestlers in recent memory.

Every time he has been positioned at the top he has never impressed me, its just the same old tired routine heel act with him. And on that note I never want to see these two go at it again, although knowing WWE I can see them going back to the feud yet again some day. No wonder fans want fresh acts when we see this match for about the 20th time on pay per view.

Not sure how I feel about Cena/Wyatt. My initial reaction was what a waste of Cenas talent at Mania, but after last night I think working with Cena could really make Bray into a star. Will see how this one pans out I guess. I'd imagine Wyatts promos and reasons will be strong, I just hope Cena does not go down the comedy route as he does with several of his opponents.

No Hogan? No Sting? I was expecting some kind of hint to something really.

Which brings me on to the Rumble- I honestly think that it was pretty poor, not overly exciting and the surprise guys were pretty disappointing.

Nash- Didn't we do this 3 years ago, I get the Reigns link but surely they could of dragged someone else out, X-pac as earlier suggested would of been great.

El Toriito- Please? does anyone actually give a shit.

JBL- Waste of a spot, an absolute waste.

There were some moments I enjoyed, Kofi outdoing his rumble moment and of course Reigns looking great, but bar Reigns there wasn't anyone who really stood out.

The booking of Punk is getting a bit lame aswell, he lasted ages in this and was pretty much an afterthought. I can see the booking of this HHH feud going only one way, a downward spiral. Kane looked an absolute muppett and no one wants to see Punk/Kane. By the time HHH & Punk actually lock up I think ill already be ready for the feud to end.

Whatever happened to the big Vince/HHH feud anyway?

Batista winning was just shit, Mainly because Batista/Orton is going to be an absolute train wreck. I am far from convinced about Big Dave and will be very surprised if his ratings numbers hold up. The WWE completely missed the boat on Bryan winning this thing, the crowd would of come unglued and I am convinced it would of been a WWE moment for the ages. The WWE'S constant poor booking of one of their hottest acts is appalling. Really really dissapointed.

I'm glad the crowd shitted all over this and I can only see more of the same in the coming months.

Mania looks pretty uninspiring to me for the 2nd year in a row. Just dreadful.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for that crowd last night, they seemed to be just a shower of absolute wankjars, so why would anyone take those reactions to mean anything?

Because they were a paying audience who were pouring money into the company. It's not like there were a couple of knobheads in the front row who were trying to get themselves over, the majority of the crowd were audibly displeased, and regardless of what anyone says, they are just as important as the rest of the people who pour money into the company. It's absolutely bonkers to write them off as just a smarky crowd when it's absolutely clear that their views are the same as many others.

Because they were a paying audience who were pouring money into the company. It's not like there were a couple of knobheads in the front row who we're trying to get themselves over, the majority of the crowd were audibly displeased, and regardless of what anyone says, they are just as important as the rest of the people who pour money into the company. It's absolutely bonkers to write them off as just a smarky crowd when it's absolutely clear that their views are the same as many others.

Exactly,

I can only see the crowd reactions in the run up to Mania becoming more into Bryan and rejecting alot of the shit that is getting pushed down our throats.

The tag match sounds good, would liked to have seen it.

Bryan match was best for me, yes he can carry almost anyone, but I think Wyatt proved himself a little bit. I haven't been tuning in all that much recently, I really like how he carries himself, his aura. He puts everything into his character and plays it to perfection.

Brock looked intense as fuck. He's walked out of that angle looking like a killer. I liked it, but would have liked to see them wrestle for a little longer- we don't get many Lesnar matches to enjoy.

Fair play to the crowd IMO. I like Cena and Orton, but they're two wrestlers who stick to a formula and have wrestled 1000 times. They hardly had a chance. It was actually a decent match though.

Good Rumble match. Thought Batista was an underwhelming winner purely because it was no surprise. Reigns looked great, Rusev looked great, Torito was funny. Liked Nash, but thought JBL was just a time waste. It is a bit shit when a PPV ends with the crowd crapping all over it, but to me positives outweighed the negatives.

Here's what Foley has to say. He makes a point IMO

"As I mentioned on Twitter, I've never felt so disgusted at the conclusion of a WWE (or any) PPV. Like many of you out there, I just don't get it. The Daniel Bryan thing is a phenomenon. You get it. I get it. The fans in Pittsburgh (yes, I was thinking of writing "RIGHT TH...but I'm just not in a cheap pop mood) got it. But tonight, for the first time, I had to admit to myself that the powers that be are just not going to get it. And that makes me sad. I'm just honestly sad, just flat out fucking sad (yes, I dropped an F-bomb there to emphasize how Fucking sad I am for the guys who bust their butts night in and night out--Ziggler, Punk, Bryan, etc. with no hope of getting their shot at this year's Mania.

You know who else I'm sad for? Me. In my two years as an official WWE Ambassador, I never once had to lie about my enthusiasm for the company or the product. Now, although I am no lnger offically an Ambasaddor for WWE (believe it or not, my only offfical role in WWE is as GM for Saturday Morning Slam, a contract that ends in one month), I was still looking forward to being part of the biggest event of the year. I'll probably end up going anyway. but I'm about 1/6th as excited about it as I was just a few hours ago. I wanted so badly to hear 75,000 WWE fans chanting "Yes," and seeing fans walk away absolutely ecstatic about the outcojme of a PPV for the first time in a while...a long while. But when given the chance to make it happen (unless they've got something MAJOR up theri sleve), WWE's answer right now was a resounding "NO, NO, NO."

maybe it'll help when we find out how t-shirts Batista sold :rolleyes:

What does that have to do with anything?

He's making the sarcastic implication that the fans point of view is bollocks because despite how vocal and pro Bryan they were, ultimately their opinion is invalid because Batista will sell more merchandise / get a higher tv rating / get a higher buy rate than Daniel Bryan.

Out of interest, is there anyway of knowing how much merch Bryan has been shifting as of late? I'd love to see those numbers vs. Punk, Cena and now 'Tista.

Yeah, Big Show apparently suffered an injury on a Saturday show. I think the match would have run in a similar kind of way regardless, Lesnar had to destroy Show after how weak he's looked on Raw. A point lost by a few people around the net, and I think I saw it here by someone too, is that Lesnar came to the ring pissed off and instantly double-legged Show and pounded his face in, it wasn't just a standard "heel jumps the face with a weapon"- Lesnar got Show down in a "legitimate" fashion because he was fired up, and then went to the chair shots because he's a vicious bastard.

• Paid Members

Like everybody, I'm a tad disappointed with the ending, and I feel as if I'm bolloxed tired for nothing today. I even had to watch the cunting thing with very uncomfortable headphones from 1983 on, so as to not wake up the missus and me wee lass, and it wasn't really worth it.

It was a good PPV, on the whole, but the ending just really, really fucked me off to the point that I didn't care about what went prior.

I guess I was expecting oul Danny B to pure upend the place, coming out at number 30 and go onto win it, sending me too hyper to get a final two hours sleep before work due to an infectious, racous reaction from that lunatic crowd, but I was just deflated. Too deflated to even have a peddle. You know you're a raving idiot mark when it's still ringing in your head 8 hours later and you feel you could have booked it better.

BUT, WWE knows best and I'm sure something cool will happen on Raw tonight to make up for it.

Wyatt looked fucking brilliant last night though, as did Big Roman and Rollins.

I'm so tired.

Was over at a mates last night and a few of us watched the Rumble and none of us were happy by the end of it. It began good with the Bryan and Wyatt match, we were a little surprised by Bray's win but still enjoyed it. Brock and Big Show was crazy, it was actually pretty brutal to the point where one or two said Brock was going a bit too far. But he did look immense. Then the PPV took a turn for the worse, we all ended up doing different things here, one was looking at Twitter, another was on his phone, and two of us were almost falling asleep, yeah this was the Cena and Orton match but it was actually the crowd that got our attention back, with their awesome chants, "this is awful", "we want divas", "we want refunds", just incredible. Then the ending with the Wyatt's did get us pretty hyped up again and gave a few thoughts to the possibility of Bryan in the Rumble as Bray going after Cena may have meant the end to his feud with Bryan. The Rumble started off well, we were all excited, guessing who would be next, just generally enjoying what the Rumble is all about. By number 25 we were getting a bit worried when Bryan hadn't come out and we still needed Big E, Batista, Rey Mysterio etc to come out and after Batista had come out and only two spots were left I think we all new what would happen but held on to hope that Bryan may be in it. I did joke when Rey's music hit that it'd be awesome if it was Bryan in a Rey mask. But yeah what killed us was Reigns' fight to the end and he came so close to winning, the tease of him winning was incredible. Awful finish with the predictable Batista win though.

I was actually going to pop down to Fab Caf

• Paid Members
Because they were a paying audience who were pouring money into the company. It's not like there were a couple of knobheads in the front row who were trying to get themselves over, the majority of the crowd were audibly displeased, and regardless of what anyone says, they are just as important as the rest of the people who pour money into the company. It's absolutely bonkers to write them off as just a smarky crowd when it's absolutely clear that their views are the same as many others.

They were disappointed because they didn't get a person in the Royal Rumble that wasn't advertised? They were also disappointed about the match that was advertised. I wanted to see Hulk Hogan and Sting there, but I never lost much sleep over it when they never showed up. The internet meltdown is quite shocking over this. You could see this coming a mile off, hence why he wasn't advertised in the Rumble.

Archived