Royal Rumble 2014 Discussion

HarmonicGenerator

Yeah, I agree. I think it'll be a straight wrestling match. But, if so, it'd have been better off pushed as a 'title can change hands on a count out or DQ'. I guess they're just trying to play it as a good old fashioned wrestling match.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Its been a while since I've heard a crowd shit over both main matches on a show like that before.

Embarrassing somewhat for the company that the title match got a "We want divas" chant and your good guy you've just got back for a ton of money is still being booed by the audience supposed to love him. Having a drunken Flair try to defend him earlier on was quite cringworthy too.

Definitely think Show's done something to his right arm off the F-5. He was selling the left before, but not to the extent he could barely life it like his right.

Wyatt/Bryan was exceptionally good considering Wyatt's somewhat limitations in the ring.

Wow. The minute number 30 came out, that audience turned! Mind you, Reigns came out looking like a beast. Good for him.

Highlight for me was Wyatt vs Bryan. That match was phenomenal, and made me really appreciate Wyatt's work. Overall good ppv, just a shame the title match was so underwhelming.

Well...who made money off Paddy Power on that one then? Some positives for sure, looks like they're pulling the trigger on Roman, with him taking Kane's record and the split. Can't help thinking this was like a perfect pint, with a whopping great fly sat in the foam and tainting the whole drink.

EDIT: Looks like the Lesnar/Show match was to write Show out with a shoot injury from Saturday, or so the web tells me. Still felt a lot like Bret vs Vince.

Oof.

That was ugly.

REAL ugly.

I mean the opener was fucking ace, the Brock beatdown was really uncomfortable (Big Show resembled an abuse victim by the end 'just go to your happy place, let him do what he wants...it'll be over soon') and Roman Reigns is the man.

But, Jesus wept, those fans were brutal. If you're getting 'We Want Refunds' and 'We Want Divas' chants during your title match, that's awful. If the Rumble, once 30 is as flat as that, gets booed out the building then that's unforgivable. Rey Mysterio was like a lamb to the slaughter, and that ending was fucking awkward.

The director wants the sack, too, for spoiling Kane's return.

I'm in a state of shock, kind of.

Between the opener, the Brock segment and how fascinating the whole revolt was, I'll struggle to say I'm not glad i didn't stay up, but....Jesus. I bet they're doing their nut.

Wrestlemania could be an embarrassment if they don't take stock. Fucking hell.

I think the hard line WWE have to walk is, that there's a disconnect between the normal people at home happy enough to watch the show, contribute the majority of a rating and spend a few quid every now and again and those that rush out and spend a fortune on tickets. They're both looking for different things. And, if they can't balance it better than tonight then the crucial casual audience might start fucking off.

We were sitting there watching the end part of the Rumble saying, "well what do they expect?" The people are dying to cheer for Reigns, they're dying for Mysterio to do/be something different, they're dying for Bryan to be in main events. It's weird though in that, if they'd brought Batista back as a surprise on the night, I think it would have worked and the crowd would have backed him.

The JBL bit probably pissed us off the most though - what a waste of a spot. The opener was great however. I haven't watched many Wyatt matches but I thought he was made to look pretty impressive and just a decent character to watch.

I'm going to Mania in March and I have no idea how they'll make a Batista/Orton title match appeal to me (or many folk for that matter), if that's the route they're going. Ach well.

I... don't know what to say. They had room for JBL, some Russian dude from NXT and freaking El Torito, but no Daniel Bryan? I think everyone forgot about Rey Mysterio as we approached #30, and the crowd rightfully let them have it. Then they got behind Roman Reigns, but nope...

Batista must have felt so awkward. The entire crowd were booing or sitting on their hands. I guess the massive paycheck will make him feel better though.

Overall show was good until the lack of Bryan in the Rumble. Excellent opening match, great Lesnar destruction and Cena & Orton adapted well to the crowd taking over. Also, felt like a little kid again watching the Outlaws win the tag titles.

I get that they wanted to focus on Batista and maybe felt including Bryan in there would have lessened Batista's win. Still, not the reaction I'm sure WWE wanted. As I've said before, if Lesnar claims the title between now and Mania, I love the idea of Batista vs. Lesnar. If it winds up being Batista vs. Orton though, WWE are terribly out of touch with what the fans want. I don't want to blast WWE yet for having Batista over Bryan, it could still end up great. A bit disappointed at the moment though.

I knew Bryan wasn't coming out from the 26th participant, they had advertised four guys as being in the match who hadn't come out. It should of been obvious to the live crowd too.

Batista winning should be a shock to no one really.

Anyway thoughts......

Bryan vs Wyatt was a fantastic match other than Wyatt forgetting that his leg had been worked on solidly for five minutes and deciding not to sell it.

Loved Brock vs Big Show, kept Big Show strong and really just massively heeled it up for Brock. Brock has an aura unlike anyone else in the company.

Cena vs Orton was good with a really interesting ending, Wyatt vs Cena at Wrestlemania?

The Rumble wasn't a spectacular Rumble but nothing short of Daniel Bryan running at 30 and eliminating 10 guys would of satisfied that crowd. They had already teased Orton vs Batista for 'Mania and that looks like where they are going, this shouldn't surprise anyone. They could have Brock win in the Chamber which I wouldn't mind calling possible but my money is still on Orton and Big Dave.

Never felt so uncomfortable watching an event like that before, the opening match made it feel like this was gonna be a top rate show, and the Rumble match itself held it's own until about half way through, but that crowd was just unforgiving and rightly so.

The moment in Chat where we all realised we'd completely forgotten the universally despised Rey Mysterio at #30 was HILARIOUS.

Odd show that I can't be arsed to reflect on properly, but the angry crowd reminded me of being at a football match when your team are playing shit but you're a devastating combination of disinterested AND pissed off, resulting in the furious boos at the half time whistle. There was a lot of that noise tonight, and this is supposed to be escapist entertainment, not some legitimate sport that you're unfortunately stuck with despite failings you can't control. The Bryan stuff is just happening on larger scale after larger scale so much now. I really don't want to side with the anus end of the fanbase, but it's hard to keep looking past it.

What didn't help was Batista looking like shit in his hotpants, Ned Flanders Assassins and no fitness, though. A spectacularly disappointing display on all fronts. Nash was man of the match like he is in every Rumble he enters. Punk and Rollins went for ages and barely got a mention, Reigns got the run we all hoped for but probably should have gone over on audible the match had collapsed so badly by then.

Strange times and a niggly way to start the Mania build.

Archived