Royal Rumble 2014 Discussion

HarmonicGenerator

Following SmackDown, there are now 25 confirmed entrants to the Rumble match, which makes me wonder who the final five could be. A lot of people are reckoning Daniel Bryan will get in there. Maybe a returner like Sheamus or RVD? Someone from NXT? A total surprise or two? Or will they just make up the numbers with the likes of Ryback, Khali and Santino?

The pre-announced list of entrants isn't too reliable. I remember one year when DH Smith was announced and last minute they pulled him from the match, thankfully as shit as he is.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The five recently added ones are PTP, Real Americans and Ryback. There are rumors of Sheamus, Christian and Jericho taking three of the remaining five 'mystery' spots. Sheamus will be a good surprise entrant, but I really couldn't give a fuck about the other two. Apparently Barrett was advertised as being in the Rumble, but isn't anymore.

Where did you get that info?

One of the news sites, so I presumed they got it from Smackdown, obviously not if nobody saw names announced on the show. I'd keep your opening post to whatever is on wwe.com to be honest.

Wwe.com has a sit down interview with HHH, saying that its not hard to imagine Batista as the new face of the WWE. So that him winning the rumble then. Ugh!

After Bryan's recent reactions it seems ludicrous that he may not be a lock to main event Mania 30.

• Awards Moderator
The five recently added ones are PTP, Real Americans and Ryback. There are rumors of Sheamus, Christian and Jericho taking three of the remaining five 'mystery' spots. Sheamus will be a good surprise entrant, but I really couldn't give a fuck about the other two. Apparently Barrett was advertised as being in the Rumble, but isn't anymore.

Where did you get that info?

One of the news sites, so I presumed they got it from Smackdown, obviously not if nobody saw names announced on the show. I'd keep your opening post to whatever is on wwe.com to be honest.

Wise words, adjusted accordingly. There are now 20 confirmed entrants, in that case!

Also, Article on the story behind the idea of the Rumble from WWE.com

Wwe.com has a sit down interview with HHH, saying that its not hard to imagine Batista as the new face of the WWE. So that him winning the rumble then. Ugh!

After Bryan's recent reactions it seems ludicrous that he may not be a lock to main event Mania 30.

Heel boss doing in-character interview saying it's not hard to imagine Batista as the new face of the WWE. So that him not winning the rumble then. Ugh!

After Batista's recent ratings, it seems ludicrous that he may not be a lock to main event Mania 30.

Heel boss doing in-character interview saying it's not hard to imagine Batista as the new face of the WWE. So that him not winning the rumble then. Ugh!

After Batista's recent ratings, it seems ludicrous that he may not be a lock to main event Mania 30.

Batista may have caused a ratings spike, but do you really believe that he'll garner the same reaction from 70k fans, that would occur if Bryan main evented. The yes chants and atmosphere and anticipation if he were to win would be incredible. I have my reservations that Batista can produce the same effect. The reaction Bryan got after the cage match was punk in Chicago-esque.

Batista got a huge rating sure, but that was for a well hyped return. He isn't pushing those numbers every week and there isn't any evidence yet to suggest the ratings will be up dramatically next week too. There will probably be a spike but it won't be anywhere near the level he got for his return

Batista got a huge rating sure, but that was for a well hyped return. He isn't pushing those numbers every week and there isn't any evidence yet to suggest the ratings will be up dramatically next week too. There will probably be a spike but it won't be anywhere near the level he got for his return

It was only 3 weeks worth of 30 second video packages. Not much hype at all.

All the Royal Rumble ads have been focused around "the return of the Animal", so unless they add Bryan as a last minute surprise, Batista's running away with it. Punk's just there as the designated Ironman this year, they'll probably get him to the final four and tease him winning, but Big Dave will get it, the major returning guy always does i.e. Triple H, Cena, Edge.

I thought Roman Reigns might have been a "dark horse" candidate, but WWE seem to have really cooled him off since that match with Punk. He still does great work, like the running dropkick and mid-air Superman punch, but the focus seems off him as an individual entity. That could be by design though.

My feelings about Batista winning depend entirely on what happens at Elimination Chamber. If Orton wins, it'll be shit. If Lesnar walks away with the gold, it'll be the best thing in ages.

Something keeps making me think Batista winning the Rumble just seems to be so, so obvious. I know it's WWE and yeah it does work that way sometimes but then other times they do like to swerve us. I am hoping it is the latter they are going for and Bryan somehow gets into the Rumble and wins it. Maybe if Cole, Lawler and JBL big up the fact that Bryan hasn't been given a place in the Rumble it will hint at something. Everyone knows Triple H and the Authority don't want him as the face of WWE and that'll obviously be the reason he hasn't got a Rumble spot but who's to say one of Bray Wyatt's followers, Harper or Rowan (who do have spots) may not get taken out during Bray and Bryan's match earlier in the evening thus freeing up a space that Bryan will take?

Just from Raw last week it is so obvious that Bryan is the man, he got a much bigger reaction than the returning Batista did and if the suits don't realise this and use this opportunity to get him right back into the Title picture then the last bit of faith I have in them giving Bryan what he deserves will be pretty much fizzled out.

• Paid Members
Just from Raw last week it is so obvious that Bryan is the man, he got a much bigger reaction than the returning Batista did

Reactions mean very little. Fandango and Dolph Ziggler would have main evented SummerSlam if you base star power on crowd reactions. There's no argument who the bigger star is out of Bryan and Batista. Batista is an established attraction. Bryan is a very popular, but he's not on Batista's level yet. Batista is a huge star.

Speaking of stars, Kev's back in black:

BeugDJVIQAATM8L.jpg

All the Royal Rumble ads have been focused around "the return of the Animal", so unless they add Bryan as a last minute surprise, Batista's running away with it. Punk's just there as the designated Ironman this year, they'll probably get him to the final four and tease him winning, but Big Dave will get it, the major returning guy always does i.e. Triple H, Cena, Edge.

Jericho in 2012 didn't. Obviously, Jericho is no Triple H, Cena, Batista or even Edge... But still. Sometimes they go with the current guy over the returner. I wouldn't bet against Bryan. The only thing that makes me confident it'll be Batista is that Bryan winning the Rumble doesn't make much sense unless Triple H is the champion by WrestleMania. Batista and DB could be a phenomenal final two in the match, actually. Best since Undertaker and Michaels (apart from Santino and Del Rio, the greatest Rumble ending ever). I'd be on the edge of my seat. UK Kat would be torn between his ROH loyalty to Bryan and his coveredinscribbles loyalty to the Animal. Every fucker would be thrilled seeing the two of them trading near-eliminations.

I thought Roman Reigns might have been a "dark horse" candidate, but WWE seem to have really cooled him off since that match with Punk. He still does great work, like the running dropkick and mid-air Superman punch, but the focus seems off him as an individual entity. That could be by design though.

On Smackdown this week, the other two talked about The Shield dominating the Rumble and then he went "and then the big dog's gonna win it and go on to WrestleMania" and ended the promo with a dirty grin. He's been spearing the shit out of people still, too. The Shield have just been in a less prominent position because Punk's feud has moved on a bit, I think.

Archived