Royal Rumble 2014 Discussion

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

My hopes for tonight;

- Surprise entrants for the Rumble (don't have to be groundbreaking, just unexpected)

- Have Lesnar throw Show around like he did at Survivor Series 2002. A belly to belly, german suplex and F5 would be ace.

If I get that, I'll be happy! Don't mind a Batista win at all.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't get too excited about X-Pac showing up tonight. Nash is holding a pre-Rumble party so he's probably in town for that.

Sheamus must be returning tonight, and if the rumours of him facing Bryan at Mania are true then he must be joining the Authority.

First time in years I'm avoiding the talk of "who's been spotted backstage/who's in Pittsburgh", I want to be actually surprised during the Rumble. I can't help but love this time of year, and this event. I've watched a bunch of Rumbles from different eras to prepare. Someone mentioned the possibility of this event winding up like Survivor Series- I don't think it's possible for the Royal Rumble to be boring by design.

It's a good card overall, I'm most interested in Bryan vs. Wyatt. Bray Wyatt hasn't had that many singles matches since debuting, right? He looked average against Kane, but it's not like Kane's renowned for 5 star matches or anything. This'll show us where Bray really is at- can he hold up his end in a marquee match going on the Road to Wrestlemania.

I want Bryan to win the Rumble, but it's more likely Batista does- well, because he's in the Rumble for a start. But if 30 entrants come and go and Bryan's not one of them, I think there'd be a riot.

What's going to happen? What do you want to see happen? Are you fussed about seeing Cena vs. Orton again? Who would you rather have vs. Brock? Who'll win the Rumble?

Mark Henry. That said, Big Show was one of Lesnar's best opponents before so I could see them doing something good tonight. FWIW, a decade on I still rate Show/Lesnar over Angle/Lesnar as a series of matches. If anything Show's a smarter worker now than he was then.

I'm actually quite excited about tonight.

I've been discussing the possibilities with people on Twitter all day, I thought I might as well share my thoughts on here.

Haven't really been keeping up-to-date with all the rumours so most of this is guesswork based on how TV has been going as of late.

What has me interested is this is the first year since 2010 where I'm not sure the winner will be the one the majority is expecting. Last year I thought it would be Cena even though I wanted Ryback (was still holding out hope for that rumoured Ryback/Big Show WM match and thought it was their last chance to 'make' him as a credible top face after four high profile losses).

Obviously Batista seems like the 'safe' bet. Everything from the adverts to the opening angle on Raw point to it. Yet the closer we've gotten to tonight I'm less sure. I actually think Bryan and Cena are real possibilities if either are in it as surprise entrants to the extent I wouldn't be surprised if either won. I could even see a Punk win, although I don't think his storyline really needs or would benefit from it.

My money is still on Batista but, for a change, there are four results that wouldn't shock me and think they could build off between now and WrestleMania XXX.

Things I expect will happen:

* Cena and Orton to have a better match than they did last month. With no gimmicks involved, something like SummerSlam 2007 would be nice.

* Wins for New Age Outlaws, Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton, and Bray Wyatt. If all of those come to pass then it is pretty much a guarantee a babyface is going over in the Rumble itself.

* Tensions within The Shield and Rhodes Brothers teams.

* Roman Reigns to be booked like Diesel in '94.

* CM Punk lasting to the end then being 'screwed' by The Authority (awful name).

* 'Surprise' entrants:- RVD, Booker T., Christian, Corporate Kane, Vader, Jake Roberts, JBL (why not?) and Sheamus :thumbsup:

Things I'd like to see:

* Bryan getting the win for a happy ending.

* Goldust getting a lengthy run in the Rumble match.

* Since it seems their WrestleMania match is set in stone I'd like to see Triple H enter himself as a surprise just to cost Punk his dream but more likely I think we'll have Corporate Kane as a surprise entrant in the match to take out Punk with Triple H himself providing a distraction that leads to Punk's elimination.

* My boy Sheamus returning as a heel.

Still slightly confused by the main event. It's win by pinfold or submission only so does that mean it's essentially no DQ?

Yeah, I've been thinking that. No stipulations, but a win is by pinfold (sic) or submission only. So it's a street fight then.

Archived