Royal Rumble 2014 Discussion

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've said it before, and upon reflection on last nights show, I genuinely think Bryan is this era's Eddy Guerrero. Super over, super talented, super likeable, but just not the man to carry the can.

I'm in no doubt that he's highly thought of by the top brass there (given the amount of times he's been the focus of the end segment on Raw) but their reluctance to pull the proverbial trigger and make him the face of WWE obviously carries some sort of substance that we, the little people, are not seeing.

Does he get the super over reactions everywhere he goes, or is it just in the "smart" towns (for want of a term)? Genuine question, coz I miss Raw most weeks these days and only watch when people here are shitting eggrolls over something good that happened.

I've said it before, and upon reflection on last nights show, I genuinely think Bryan is this era's Eddy Guerrero. Super over, super talented, super likeable, but just not the man to carry the can.

I'm in no doubt that he's highly thought of by the top brass there (given the amount of times he's been the focus of the end segment on Raw) but their reluctance to pull the proverbial trigger and make him the face of WWE obviously carries some sort of substance that we, the little people, are not seeing.

Guerrero was a different kettle of fish. His segments on TV did good numbers, and he was the man to carry the can. He won the belt and defended it at WrestleMania. But the pressures of business (as well as having giant gorilla arms and living in constant pain) got to him and he asked them to give the belt to JBL.

Plus, different era. There were two brands then. If there were two brands now, Bryan would be the top guy on Smackdown. He was the champion on Smackdown before, right before the brand split ended. The live tours are still split, with Cena headlining one crew, and Punk and Bryan being the headline guys on the other. The Cena tour does better business.

• Paid Members
Plus, different era. There were two brands then. If there were two brands now, Bryan would be the top guy on Smackdown. He was the champion on Smackdown before, right before the brand split ended. The live tours are still split, with Cena headlining one crew, and Punk and Bryan being the headline guys on the other. The Cena tour does better business.

Genuine question, how much better? I think you could put any other current WWE star on the other tour and Cena would still outdraw it because of his longevity, Undertaker perhaps being the exception if he ever wanted to do that sort of schedule again.

Also, who are the supporting players on each tour? Last year, Cena, Bryan and Ryback were on an Australian tour, at the same time Orton, Punk and I think RVD as well were assigned to the South Africa tour. If it were possible, I'd rather go to the South Africa show. That doesn't mean that Orton's tour beats Cena's, I just like other guys on the show.

The more I think about it the more I wonder why they backed themselves into a corner (again) last night. Yes they didnt advertise Bryan as being in the Rumble but why not play up the fact he wouldnt be there. A few weeks on Raw you could have had Kane or Stephanie give him the option of either a shot at the rumble or a one on one match with Wyatt, simple. Yeah they might have wanted to play on the 'will he, wont he' aspect of his participation in the match to garner interest but if they have so much faith in Batista as a draw then that wouldnt have been necessary. Its so strange that this years Mania is looking like one of the most stacked cards of all time as far as name value, especially for this era, and yet the directions they are going in seem very watered down and bland. Batista vs Orton is a shocking idea for a title match, as shown by Ortons reign and matches with Show and Cena.

It really struck me how far Punk has dropped his the last Wrestlemania too. He was barely anybody in that match last night and there wasnt even a tease he could win, perhaps because of camera hiccups with Kane but still. I really hope he takes time off when his contract is up, he just looks banged up and uninterested. Take a year or two off and come back fresh with some new ideas.

Amazingly, that BBC story about Bryan is now the most read article on their website!

To be fair Bryan's promo on Raw last week he basically said he wouldn't be in the Rumble.. because Harper and Rowan were in the Rumble and he wanted Bray one on one..

So what happens, Harper and Rowan accompany Bray to the ring anyway!

False. WrestleMania 21 -- headlined by and heavily promoted around Batista challenging for the title -- outdrew the previous year, despite Rock, Foley, Goldberg and Lesnar all being absent.
There's no proof of Batista being a draw elsewhere in his career so that number could be attributed to a number of things rather than it proving Batista is a draw. WrestleMania 26 had the supposed huge match between Cena and Batista, yet that drew the lowest buyrate of a WrestleMania event since 19. Considering the number of PPVs he's headlined that have received no noticeable spike because of his involvement, to claim he's a draw is obviously untrue.

he's still the most over wrestler on the roster

No he isn't. If he was, the Bryan tour would outdraw the Cena tour, and Bryan's merchandise would outsell Cena's.

There's a difference between being 'over' and selling merchandise. Cena is the biggest merchandise seller but that doesn't change my point about Bryan being the most over wrestler on the roster. If that wasn't the case, why would the roster - including Cena - have ridden Bryan's coat tails so often in the past 6 months? There's no debating the fact that Bryan is the most over guy in the company.

• Paid Members

Extreme Rules is in Washington. Maybe Sheamus and Bryan (if that match is even still on) gets the number one contender stip to it and Bryan wrestles the champion in his home toon. Giving him a MITB in Chicago style win might be what they are aiming for in the long term.

Punk vs HHH sounds as shit as Orton and Batista to me. HHH's character is so disjointed and isn't much of a heel or face right now and Punk's hasn't been this uninteresting since early 2009. He's just a complaining babyface and Triple H is a generic semi-heel owner right now. That needs a giant kick up the arse.

With all of the complaining about Bryan and the Cena match, nobody seems to be mentioning Zeb Colter's "every 90 second another illegal crosses the border" and "You could time it yourself, but they stole your watch" signs. Oh and Big Kev looking better than his mid-life crisis run from 2011.

There's no proof of Batista being a draw elsewhere in his career so that number could be attributed to a number of things rather than it proving Batista is a draw. WrestleMania 26 had the supposed huge match between Cena and Batista, yet that drew the lowest buyrate of a WrestleMania event since 19. Considering the number of PPVs he's headlined that have received no noticeable spike because of his involvement, to claim he's a draw is obviously untrue.

Christ, of all the cards to pull up you use WrestleMania 26? That had the big UFC PPV the same weekend? And that was heavily promoted around Shawn Michaels retirement?

There's a difference between being 'over' and selling merchandise. Cena is the biggest merchandise seller but that doesn't change my point about Bryan being the most over wrestler on the roster. If that wasn't the case, why would the roster - including Cena - have ridden Bryan's coat tails so often in the past 6 months? There's no debating the fact that Bryan is the most over guy in the company.

You have no idea what being over means, then. Was Sid more over than Randy Savage in 1992? The most over person is the one who sells the most tickets and is the biggest star. Cena's unique that not one of his matches will ever receive silence. He will get a reaction and sell PPVs and push the numbers. He's the biggest name in the business and the most over to the wider fan base. I love Bryan and I'm very dejected he's basically been blamed for horrendous booking as to why he isn't doing any good business, but lets not lie to ourselves here.

• Paid Members

Starting to think they might be intentionally start stirring the pot a bit now. I'm sure they expected some chanting last night but not on that scale. Bryan's tweets scream kayfabe to me, and maybe tonight they'll start addressing it. The mood amongst the fans could completely change in the next 24 hours.

Think it's also worth mentioning that in spite of the hostility towards Cena/Orton and Bryan not being around, the crowd was in to basically everything else and popped for lots and lots of things in an incredibly positive manner. To say they "booed the Rumble match" is harsh when a lot of the time they were going nuts for it and the various different surprises.

Starting to think they might be intentionally start stirring the pot a bit now. I'm sure they expected some chanting last night but not on that scale. Bryan's tweets scream kayfabe to me, and maybe tonight they'll start addressing it. The mood amongst the fans could completely change in the next 24 hours.

Think it's also worth mentioning that in spite of the hostility towards Cena/Orton and Bryan not being around, the crowd was in to basically everything else and popped for lots and lots of things in an incredibly positive manner. To say they "booed the Rumble match" is harsh when a lot of the time they were going nuts for it and the various different surprises.

Although disappointed and a bit annoyed about how last night went I do agree, I am thinking if Bryan went on Twitter with those tweets straight after the Rumble match without it being planned then he would be in trouble with the higher ups. The fact that it has made the news and his tweets are being quoted in the stories makes me think if there are no reports of Bryan being in trouble over those tweets in the next few hours, it's definitely a set up and a work, part of a bigger picture.

Archived