Royal Rumble 2014 Discussion

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's unfortunate that WWE have backed themselves into a corner with Bryan, he has been put in a position where they can't capitalise on his skill and popularity as much as they should, and solving this involves time and effort from them. He has a strong base in the fans, who seem to crave something fresh, and is a ball of amazing skills and potential.

It's also unfortunate that so many wrestling fans have this sense of entitlement which has resulted in the internet being awash with child like hissy fits because Bryan had a fantastic match as he was advertised for on the show. I understand peoples frustrations and desire to see them do more with the potential within Bryan, but so, so many people seem to put it across so badly. I'd have loved to have seen Bryan come in and win the Rumble, but I didn't expect it or feel it was my right to see it like some people seemed to. Some peoples reactions are like a 6year old stamping his feet because he can't have solid gold sausages for tea.

I felt Bray looked like a more legitimate threat for some one moving towards mania, which was needed if they have a big plan for him.

Batista didn't look to swish. He's always been hit or miss I feel, when he's in the mood he's unbelievable great to watch but if he can't be arsed it's unbearably noticeable. Those odd trunk things didn't do him any favours either. If he's been pissed off first night in I hope it's not going to be a chore getting him to give a shit.

Roman Reigns looked like a total boss too, which was great.

My only hope at this point is that WWE never book Orton/Cena on PPV again. As for Bryan at this point I'm half expecting them to leave him off Wrestlemania out of pure spite, if anything it's a fucking miracle that he has remained so over with live crowds after that abortion of an Authority feud.

Batista was terrible and Roman was the fucking man.

The Wrestlemania live crowd are almost certainly going to murder the Orton Vs. Batista match and to be honest that sight would probably be the only thing worth watching their match for anyway.

By the way, if Batista continues with the daft Gracie shorts/pebble dashed trainers outfit then he can fuck off again. He looked a right wally.

He ran out like he was getting changed, was in just his briefs, someone nicked his wallet and he just had to chuck a teenagers trainers on to chase after them.

Poor form.

made me laugh! :laugh:

Just got through watching the show:

* Bryan/Wyatt - Thought it was a very good match once it got going. The first 5 minutes or so were a bit 'meh' but it really picked up after that. Losing to Bray clearly won't do any damage to Bryan as he is so over at the minute (we'll come back to that in a little bit).

* Lesnar/Show - Had a 2 minute match with a 15 minute angle tacked onto it. Convenient that the ref didn't call for the bell as Lesnar charged Show, like they do every other time its happened after the last few decades. Was there really any point to this match at all. While its been made clear that Brock is gunning for the title, does whacking the shit out of baby-new-year enhance his title chances? And is Big Show that disliked that no-one was willing to come to his aid?

* Orton/Cena - Boy, the crowd really didn't want to see this match did they? Those chants in full:

0:00 - 'Daniel Bryan!', 0:33- 'Lets Go Cena! Cena Sucks!' 1:05- 'Daniel Bryan!' & a small 'YES!', 2:15- 'We Want Daniel!', 2:42 'Randy Savage!', 3:28 'Y2J!', 4:02 - 'Undertaker!', 4:40 - 'Boring!', 5:58 - 'Daniel Bryan!', 6:56- 'You Both Suck!', 10:23 - a (very small) Mexican Wave starts, 13:10 - 'End This Match!', 15:00 - 'This Is Awful!', 16:23 - 'We Want Refunds!', post-match - 'Thank You Wyatts!'

I reckon its safe to say that the WWE fans have had enough of seeing John Cena vs Randy Orton. Its especially worrying that the biggest pop of the match occurred for the Wyatt Family distraction. The match itself wasn't the worst they've ever had and might actually come across better if you turn the sound off. But it just shows that a live crowd really can make or break a match, and they showed here that this is not what they want to see.

* Royal Rumble Match - Started off very well, but then seemed to completely die off from around the half way point:

- Punk started well but seemed to completely stop after about 20 minutes and just sit in the bottom right corner for the rest of the match

- Was happy to see Kane get in the match to keep his run of consecutive Rumbles going. Thought he looked in pretty decent shape too.

- Haven't seen Alexander Rusev before, but have heard of him. Thought he looked OK for the amount of time that he was given.

- Kofi got his usual 'Not Eliminated' spot. They'll run out of ideas soon enough and then he'll just be hopping one-footed back to the ring.

- Here comes R-Tru....oh, there he goes

- Oh wow, Kevin Nash is a suprise entrant, they haven't done that since 3 years ago

- Whats the point of Khali, surely hes not still around because of his Twitter face

- Sheamus seemed to get a pretty decent pop, which I was pleasantly suprised by

- Could have sworn I heard someone fart when Miz came out

- Fandango was in it, shame his theme tune can't enter seen as thats whats over.

- Los Matadores arn't wrestling because 3MB arn't booked

- Cesaro swing on Rollins = 27, AWESOME!

- JBL, whats was the point in that?

- Wyatts vs. Sheild tease, like it

- Actually thought Batista looked pretty cool in his black and red trim gear. Were they trucks or shorts? ('Shrunks'?)

- Batista beats Del Rio in what is probably the shortest feud ever

- Only one guy left to enter the Rumble, is it going to be Bryan? Or the guy who cut a promo about being in the Rumble earlier in the night? I wonder

- Final 10 minutes - Are they saying "BOOOOOOOO!" or "BOOOOOTISTA!"

- And the winner is....the guy who was obviously going to win it since it was announced he was coming back.

Really not sure what to make of this card.

Bray/Bryan was clearly the highlight of the night and the crowd were solidly behind Bryan to the point that they seemed to want to see him work the rest of the PPV. Their displeasure at him not coming out in the Rumble was there for all to hear, but it was never said that he was going to be in the Rumble at any time. The fans seemed to convince themselves over the last few months that Bryan was winning the Rumble and are now upset that something that was never hinted at happening hasn't happened.

Lesnar/Show seemed like a big waste of time, the title match could have been a 5 star classic but the crowd seemed determined to hate it regardless.

The Rumble match started off well and then seemed to completely lose steam through lack of star power and some disappointing 'suprises'. Roman Reigns gave another great performance which will continue to raise his stock at a nice pace. Can see him getting a spot in next months Elimination Chamber and hopefully giving another good performance. Hes not ready for Mania main spot, but could maybe see it happening at Summerslam

So, what now:

Cena/Wyatt seems to happening afterall, not sure exactly how that's going to play out (or how they're going to work in any Hogan involvement)

Punk vs. Kane at Elimination Chamber maybe

Bryan - no idea what they're going to do with him now, and I don't see how they're going to work the rumoured Sheamus match unless they're going to do somekind of angle with Bryan and The Authority who have Sheamus as a hired gun

I reckon a Triple Threat between Batista/Orton/Bryan at Mania would be the best way forward at this point.

Have Batista come out on Raw tonight and basically say that although he survived 29 other men there was one man who wasn't given the opportunity. Cue Daniel Bryan setting up a match at Elimination Chamber and the winner goes to Mania to face the champ. You can have the Authority being pissed at Dave for giving Bryan another shot which will factor in down the road. Also book Lesnar vs Orton at the Chamber.

Have Orton vs Lesnar go on second to last. Brock gets Orton up for the F5 the lights go out and we get the Undertaker tease. Orton hits an RKO off the distraction keeping both of them looking strong.

In the main event have shenanigans involving the Authority and the night ends with Orton standing over both Bryan and Batista after a no contest.

Hogan as Mania host or Vince come out the next night and announce that due to the Authority's interference there'll be a Triple Threat match for the belt at Mania. Then you can give Bryan his big moment by pinning Orton and winning the belt. Batista looks strong by winning the Rumble and not getting pinned and you can carry on to a Batista Bryan feud post Mania.

Giving a Mania card of:

WWE Title- Batista vs Daniel Bryan vs Randy Orton

Brock Lesnar vs The Undertaker

John Cena vs Bray Wyatt

Triple H vs CM Punk

Big E Langston vs Sheamus for the unified IC/US Belts(I'd have Big E beat Ambrose at the Chamber thanks to miscommunication by the Shield)

Roman Reigns vs Seth Rollins vs Dean Ambrose

Goldust vs Cody Rhodes

The Usos vs NAO(Maybe Pre-show)

30 Years of Wrestlemania Battle Royal

Hogan as guest host.

Not long finished watching it, really glad I didnt bother to stay up for it. Bryan and Wyatt was match of the night, really great stuff there. Enjoyed the end sequence and wasnt bothered that Bryan lost. He didnt need the win and if Wyatt is now going into a feud with Cena he really did. Catching him off the dive was just great.

Brock and Big Show didnt even seem like a match, more like a very long angle. Skipped Orton and Cena because I was looking forward to the rumble. I wish I had skipped that too.

It seemed like the most boring rumble ever, nothing fucking happened for most of it. Batista looked awful, his tattoos are so shit, his body looked flabby and his ring gear was fucking dire. Rey getting booed was hilarious, they obviously gave him the 30 spot knowing people would be pissed when they realized there would be no Bryan. I know Bryan wasnt advertised, but part of the magic in Royal Rumbles is surprise entrants. Fans have been conditioned to expect it, so when their favorite wrestler didnt show up I dont blame them for shitting all over it. Reigns winning was the only thing that could have saved it, even though Batista has been gone for four years hes not fresh or new. Thats what people want.

• Paid Members
I'd imagine he's gonna get booed like fuck tonight so i'd say the best way to get the crowd back on side would be to do that.

It never worked for Cena. Its not going to work for Batista. Pandering to the crowd is the worst thing you can do. Especially Batista. His job is to win matches, not to feel sorry for anyone.

In that case just flip it. Have him come out and heel it up saying he's better than Punk, Better than Reigns and better than Sheamus or whatever because he outlasted them all. Bryan interrupts challenges him for the Chamber and go from there.

Whats the point in that? WWE knew this would happen (maybe not to this extent) but they still stuck to their plans. If they were going to fuck with plans to keep the live audience happy Bryan would already be going to Mania. Unless you propose Batista beats Bryan

• Paid Members
I just can't see them sticking to Batista vs Orton after last night's crowd reaction. It'll just get shat on at Mania.

If they put Flair out there (who everyone loves) with Batista and someone in the corner of Orton (say Bob Orton Jr, with his cast for nostalgia purposes) and you have a slice of comedy brawling in the middle where Flair slaps Cowboy Orton about you could make it fun for the live fans. If you gimmick it, make it a street fight and tart it up to where you forget that the two wrestlers are quite uninteresting, then you'll get around it. Like HHH vs Orton at WrestleMania 25, which died on its arse. Orton vs Cena wouldn't have been greeted with all that abuse last night had they stuck a stip on it. Even the most jaded smart arse wrestling fan likes smoke and mirrors.

Archived