Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

Same with everything though, if they started doing stuff like that every week you would hate it.

I like that they only do the "fan recorded" shots rarely, it would all look a bit to convenient if it happened every week.

On paper HIAC looks good, looking forward to seeing how Becky/Charlotte pans out. I would like Becky to be given another run but I can't see Charlotte losing.

Does it not look more "convenient" that the camera crew manage to always be in Stephanie McMahon's office about two seconds before she starts a really important conversation, or that hated rivals wait until the next TV show is on the air to get into a fight?

NXT have moved in the direction of more plausible backstage angles - rather than "the camera crew just happened to be there in the authority figure's office, moments before they entered into a narratively significant conversation", there's always a reason; they'll be filming at the Performance Center and a fight kicks off behind them, or something like that. I welcome any move in that direction.

Everyone has a mobile phone, everyone has a dozen social media accounts, and WWE has God knows how many hours of TV, plus the WWE Network, WWE.com, their YouTube channel, and multiple accounts across every social media platform. They could pull off angles, and tell stories, so much better and more plausibly by utilising all of those.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

That story time with Joe is probably the best thing I've seen on WWE TV for months, what a tremendous performer he is. Just a proper horrible bloke, harassing the man's family like a vile cretin. It's got to be Joe's time on Sunday hasn't it surely, he deserves this win and recognition for his work.

Both times they've pushed Joe into main events (this and the Lesnar feud) he's knocked it out of the park.  He absolutely exudes evil and violence.  The fact his face seems to be meeting a lot of walls lately just adds to the effect - black eyes, stitched up cuts.

I know Joe and AJ had great matches a decade ago, but it feels like they've peaked in WWE in terms of charisma and star power, and I'd never have predicted that.

As you say, this is the obviously perfect time to put the title on Joe and let him run with it.   So they won't.  They've become extremely selective about their champs in recent years and I still don't think they're convinced about Joe.  Hope to be proved wrong.

• Paid Members

I think I'd need to have some time alone in a dark room if Joe became WWE Champion. I think he's ace. Even when he had that biro dick on his face in TNA he was still a Badass. I remember a match early doors in Ring Of Honor against Low KI, and it looks like Low KI is trying to take liberties. At some point Joe just seems to realise that it's going to be a bit of a stiff night and just starts giving it back. It's one of my favourite matches. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Loki said:

As you say, this is the obviously perfect time to put the title on Joe and let him run with it.   So they won't.  They've become extremely selective about their champs in recent years and I still don't think they're convinced about Joe.  Hope to be proved wrong.

I can see them keeping the belt on AJ until he faces Bryan at 'Mania. They can erase Punk being the longest reigning WWE champion in the modern era too.

• Paid Members

I really hope not. This Miz Vs Bryan feud doesn't have legs to go that long. Mixed tag at HIAC, a singles re-match at the Australia show and then blow it off either at Survivor Series or the Saudi show in November. 

Joe needs to beat AJ for the belt and then I'd have him drop it to Bryan at 'Mania, but only if WWE can keep Bryan hot enough for that position by that time. At the minute, he isn't. He needs to beat Miz in their program, decisively, and move onto Joe. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Joe Blog said:

Do you think they have considered  Bryan for a rumble win?

I think they've absolutely considered it, they'd be mad not have it down as an option at the least. The story writes itself in terms of his comeback and with it being a year removed from his return etc. Though another option would be Miz to win it, costing Bryan in the process before Bryan finally gets revenge on him at Wrestlemania, if they choose to go back to the feud then. It's not necessarily something I think they need to do as things stand though. I'd be well up for Bryan vs Joe or even a triple threat with AJ in the mixer, and although a Rumble win for Bryan would be great there are a few different ways they can get them to such a point, i.e an Elimination Chamber etc. 

Good points there. I guess it is down to me not ever being a huge Bryan fan, I appreciate he is a phenomenal wrestler and is stupidly likeable but I have no investment in him as a character or person.

I would imagine they have discussed him winning the rumble if even to just quell the backlash they have received in the past. However they have enough indie darlings in such prominent positions now that the novelty of him winning it may have worn off. 

I also could not help but shake my head at the state of Miz’s chest after his match with him. I get some people work stiff and Miz obviously has no problem with that but for me there is just no need for that. 

Why are we all obsessed with Bryan/Miz at Wrestlemania?

I thought the crowd reaction to there match at Summerslam was telling, it needs to end in this next couple of weeks for me.

Joe/AJ vs Bryan at Mania works for me, 5 years since his last Mania main event.

Think I would lean towards Joe/Bryan, a clear face/heel divide. Not sure I can do with the whole face vs face "dream match" scenario again after AJ/Naka last year, plus I think they will go down that route with Charlotte/Ronda anyway.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Why are we all obsessed with Bryan/Miz at Wrestlemania?

Because it's a story that makes sense and because Miz deserves it.

Should have been simples. One guy's eminently likable, the other's one of the best dickheads of all time. Should be a no-brainer. Except they've Briely cocked it up.

21 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Because it's a story that makes sense and because Miz deserves it.

Should have been simples. One guy's eminently likable, the other's one of the best dickheads of all time. Should be a no-brainer. Except they've Briely cocked it up.

Lovely 

Archived