Smackdown Discussion Thread

12 hours ago, air_raid said:

Matt strongly dislikes mustard.

Is that because while everyone doesn't mention it because they like him as a personality, Christian wasn't very often good enough to carry his end in an engaging singles match? The only run of his I really liked was the Orton matches after he turned and the conniving bastard won himself a title by DQ at MITB11.

Chirstian had some surprising belters in his ECW run against some very average opponents. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
6 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Not sure whats happened to him, during his heel run he was pretty decent.

You've answered your own question. Character wise, he's far better as a smug little shit who whines if he doesn't get his way. Shame, because in the ring he's better as the acrobatic underdog fighting from underneath.

• Awards Moderator

A fun show where everything whips along nicely. The tiers are established. BUT I HAVE QUESTIONS. 

When did we abandon Lana's accent? Did someone call her out or was it silently dropped like Kofi's? 

Who thinks highly enough of "Perfect Bland" Tye Dillinger to set him with very-good-shape Orton? 

Why is Asuka slumming in a meaningless tag team? Has done nothing since WrestleMania. 

Really looking forward to Super Show Down. Ridiculous supercard and I note Bryan and Miz is now for #1 contender. Cool! So who wins this? 

I would say Miz does. If they're clever, they will have Miz beat Bryan again in a screwy way (have Brie botch a run in, work those fans!) then he can just dodge Bryan for the next few months.

Have him win the title at some point off of Joe, then have Bryan win the Rumble. Sets up a brilliant feud ender at 'Mania (knowing WWE they will have Miz win that and then do the title change at Backlash)

• Paid Members

Was just thinking it had been too long since they decided a female superstar had to be accused of being a slag.

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Who thinks highly enough of "Perfect Bland" Tye Dillinger to set him with very-good-shape Orton? 

Dispensable fodder for Orton. It's fine. We don't have to think he's got a chance of winning. Tiers are good but they have to have matches between the tiers to reinforce that. Not every program can be between well-matched opponents to perpetuate the 50/50 Club booking. If Dillinger looks good in defeat and gets more over, he might get a program with someone closer to his tier, that he wins. If he gets more over, you think about moving him up. It's fine. You have to try these things otherwise nobody goes anywhere.

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Why is Asuka slumming in a meaningless tag team? Has done nothing since WrestleMania. 

I think this is something for the Iiconics to do more than anything. If the proposed Womens Tag belts come around, they're a shoe-in.

• Paid Members

A cracking episode for the simple fact that stuff happened. It actually felt like a weekly episodic show with soap opera nonsense and cliffhangers. I want to watch next week to see what happened at AJ Style’s house and to find out if Lana and Aiden English fucked in Milwaukee. 

Two thumbs up.

• Paid Members

I haven't loved Smackdown this much in years. They're putting out great show after great show at the moment and it can't just be a fucking coincidence. They have quite clearly changed something - you'd guess in terms of personnel behind the scenes, whether that be creative or who's in overall control of the show. Can't put my finger on it but it's a delight at the moment. Long live Smackers. 

I am surprised they went back to the family angle with Joe/AJ, but if they're going to go back to it then better to turn up the intensity and the controversy. It doesn't guarantee Joe a title run, but he's surely in the running for the belt between now and the close of the year and there's a strong chance he'll be the heel WWE champion heading into Wrestlemania if he stays off the treatment table. 

Great way to book the Rusev/Lana fallout. They're clearly intent on keeping English strong in the feud as opposed to having Rusev walk all over him in revenge, and this way it can potentially elevate both of them as opposed to just one of them. Supremo said it best and I've said it repeatedly about Raw/Smackers of late, but one thing they've really missed is that hook that makes you want to tune in next week. We got that on both shows this week whilst the build to the next PPV has been really strong. 

6 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

I haven't loved Smackdown this much in years. They're putting out great show after great show at the moment and it can't just be a fucking co-incidence. They have quite clearly changed something - you'd guess in terms of personnel behind the scenes, whether that be creative or who's in overall control of the show. Can't put my finger on it but it's a delight at the moment. Long live Smackers. 

I am surprised they went back to the family angle with Joe/AJ, but if they're going to go back to it then better to turn up the intensity and the controversy. It doesn't guarantee Joe a title run, but he's surely in the running for the belt between now and the close of the year and there's a strong chance he'll be the heel WWE champion heading into Wrestlemania if he stays off the treatment table. 

Great way to book the Rusev/Lana fallout. They're clearly intent on keeping English strong in the feud as opposed to having Rusev walk all over him in revenge, and this way it can potentially elevate both of them as opposed to just one of them. Supremo said it best and I've said it repeatedly about Raw/Smackers of late, but one thing they've really missed is that hook that makes you want to tune in next week. We got that on both shows this week whilst the build to the next PPV has been really strong. 

It'll be interesting to see if that is the case or if everything has just fallen into place.

But indeed Smackdown is a very easy watch- much easier than Raw, in any event, for all the reasons stated previously.

Long may it continue.

• Paid Members

I know this is a very obious observation but the length helps. Watch Raw and Nitro from 1999 and although the WWF product is much worse than in 1998, those shows still absoultely fly compared to the three hour Nitros. It feels the samethese days, even the worse Smackdowns feature so much less filler than Raw, fewer inconsequential matches, fewer twelve minute matches that are ten minutes too long, etc.

That said, they are doing a good job booking Smackers this last few months. They've established a good crew of top liners and are keeping everyone busy in good week to week stories. The English/Lana speculation wasn't what I expected from that story and brings a new demension to a rather dull looking split.

I've only been reading the Raw report. But I'll get on YouTube to check out the highlights of Smackers because it's a much better show.

• Paid Members

OK, so either side of work I've watched a whole episode on SmackDown Replays, the episode where Charlotte returned. Mostly to retrace the start of that arc so I can try and gauge if the turn was hinted and/or what the crowd reaction was, and the exact circumstances around Charlotte getting her, err, shot at a shot. But also to gauge if the show is actually as watchable as you lot make it sound.

So..... yeah, I really enjoyed it. I won't bore you with a segment by segment breakdown of something weeks old that plenty of you watched anyway, but everything I watched either satisfied my perverts "that was a good match" urges, featured a character I'm interested in, or as a bare minimum provided some development in a storyline and a question or clue to where it's leading. Everything made me think it had been worth me watching. I can't believe a show this logical and tight is churned out by WWE at the same time as what Raw is like at present, which manages to achieve the staggering feat of not having enough meaningful content to fill 3 hours and yet also overruns every week! Remarkable.

Only minor quibbles both turned up in Danny Bry's promo. Generally, the company has an epidemic of performers shoehorning a mention of Evolution into their speech unnaturally instead of focusing on their existing, current matter at hand (Elias to Trish for instance) and it flared up here. Specific to Bryan, mentioning Brie having a 30 second match as impetus for change turned my stomach. Sorry, but fuck off with making implications about how things are booked during the actual show. I'm watching the story right now, not a talking heads doc on the Network, and in the story if your wife had a 30 second match either she was utter shite on the night and got beat, or her opponent was. And if I wanted to be psychotic, air raid levels of critical, I didn't care for Tom Philips using "Charismatic Enigma," Jeff's meaningless, random buzzwords, coined-in-TNA nicklame. But he redeemed himself in spades during Charlotte v Carmella by actually calling Charlotte's Web! Love that.

On the whole though... bloody good wrestling telly program to the point while I started typing during Charlotte/'Mella I've let the episode finish and the next one start, and I'm really looking forward to going when they tape at the MEN in November.

As per my first reason for watching? The first thing Tom says after they get Becky's reaction to Charlotte's opportunity is to suggest sympathy for her. Fuck off Road Dogg, that WAS the story we were told! And in a fabulous piece of irony, the episode that I just moved onto features Becky joking to Charlotte "We're not Sasha and Bayley." Ironic both because - oops! - they fell out too, but also because no, they're not, their tensions actually came to a natural boiling point and - SHOCK - they've started feuding, as opposed to their Raw counterparts who are still spinning their wheels 18 months later. But here come Charlotte and Bex for that "still mates" tag against...... yes!! The Iiconics!! I love the Iiconics!

Sign me up for more of this. I can't get on board with "Smackers" so.... no, Downers doesn't sound right, either.

Archived