Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no way Kane should be in a singles match at WrestleMania. If he'd gotten involved in the Miz/Ziggler "I want a bigger push" nonsense, maybe he would've been a good opponent for them. But the time has been and gone for that now. He should only be on the card in the battle royal.

Could we get a Kane/Reigns single match at Mania?

You know, I wouldn't hate that. This looks like it could be Kanes last last WM and although he's hardly the most exciting wrestler, he does deserve to be on the show. The fella has worked his arse off for the company for the last 17 ish years and who better to have his last WM match against than the man he ended his 11 year Rumble record and the next big superstar. Reigns going over Kane in his first WM singles match is also something that can be looked back on in a simular way to the Cena Vs Big Show match at WM20.

I'm not sure if I'd have Kane in a singles match, and I'd like the Shield triple threat to happen. But Kane vs. Reigns would make some sense, and I rate Kane a bit higher than most on here it seems, because I think Kane would put over Reigns in a very good effort. I'd either have Kane in the battle royal to represent the Authority, or perhaps Kane grabs a partner for the tag team turmoil (which isn't confirmed, but I think it'd be great). Alternatively, Kane with the NAO vs The Usos and a partner- maybe Kofi or something. There's 5 matches booked so far for Mania and it's a 4 hour show. Surely the Big Red Machine can fit somewhere.

• Paid Members

I'd like to see Kane vs somebody in a singles, and have him slip the mask back on for it. Easy to work up to, too. Just have him become more and more furious with whoever (let's say Reigns) until he finally snaps, whacks the mask back on and becomes "the monster".

Nah , Corporate Kane is the most interesting thing Kane has done for years. Hell/No was great but it wasn't anything new from Kane's pov. Kane as an authority figure was pretty inspired booking actually, there's no way that should work on paper but it does and Kane looks a right hulk in his shirtless get up.

This weeks spoilers

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Dark Match:

Alexander Rusev defeated Xavier Woods.

WWE SmackDown (Airing Friday):

The broadcast team of Michael Cole and JBL made their entrances.

Kane entered the ring. They showed footage from the attack on Daniel Bryan by Triple H and The Authority from Monday

• Paid Members

I like the job they're doing of promoting this battle royale as something all of the mid-card guys actually really want to win. I was expecting Big Show to win it, but I'm not so sure now that they have positioned him as the big favourite. Seems too obvious.

All of the video packages are fantastic this year, really helping to get me excited for the matches. That Wyatt/Cena one with Eminem's tune is outstanding.

why do we keep getting smackdown in a different order? on last nights recording from sky sports, ziggler match was first im sure

• Paid Members

I've really no idea. They've done it every week for the last month, roughly. Can't fathom the reason.

On a related subject, I wonder if Sky might consider reducing Smackdown to a 90 minute slot? There seems to be less & less "new" footage forming Smackdown every week. I would imagine you could comfortably cut the show down to 70mins plus ads without losing anything other than video packages, re-runs of whole matches from Raw, or Natalya matches.

I've really no idea. They've done it every week for the last month, roughly. Can't fathom the reason.

I'd imagine it's to improve the flow of the adverts. Unlike in America, the UK don't show ads every 5 minutes, so I imagine they move stuff around to try and fit the ad breaks to occur every 15 instead.

• Paid Members

That makes sense in theory, but in practice all they ever seem to do is switch the opening two "segments" (in a UK TV sense, i.e. about 12-13 minute chunks) so we go cold into a match, then get ads after it, then after the ads get the opening ballyhoo and rundown (which occasionally has included a match we've just seen...), then the real opening segments.

Both "segments" still have all the usual upcoming PPV/tour/don't try this etc. fillers used instead of adverts dropped in at the usual points (and recently they've started leaving in the "App exclusive" content during matches that fills the ad breaks in the US) so in practice I don't see how it would help that flow.

No intention to argue, just genuinely intrigued by it!

Archived