Smackdown Discussion Thread

I've started watching Smackdown again recently too as I was finding that I was actually missing things, or wanting to see more of certain angles. It has gotten (which wasn't a massively difficult task), I do still fast forward through large portions of it though and just watch the people I want to see.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I never watch Smackdown, where Batista is said to be amazing, instead of the rubbish you see on Raw, but I saw some today.

Along with the "Hacksaw's back for Oldschool Raw" level ringwork, the fucker was corpsing in his match, more than once. Supposed to be selling, but chuckling away to himself. The bits of his face that are still mobile anyway. What am I missing here? Every facet of him is unbelievably awful.

I completely agree Astro, I think he is terrible, completely awful and I'm at a loss a to why everyone on here loves him so much. I assumed I must be missing something everyone else can see, but for the life of me, I don't know what it is.

• Paid Members

Most of the UKFF have been in agreement that his matches have been shit since his return and that his head looks weird. He's a brilliant heel character though, almost the perfect foil for Daniel Bryan. Like, you couldn't make a better nemesis for him if you started from scratch. Bringing him in as a babyface backfired, but they moved swiftly and extremely effectively to remedy that. I'm not sure why anybody would have trouble seeing why he makes a brilliant bad guy.

• Paid Members

Batista is awesome. He wore a cut off leather jacket this week. He's a bloke who actually winds up the person watching. His nose ring, his skinny jeans and trainers, his boastfulness and sense of self-worth. He's a great heel. Far better than Randy Orton. This isn't just a UKFF thing. There's good reviews of his performances all over the place. He's like Triple H. There's a genuine dislike from a section of the face base towards him. He's got the right sort of heat.

Get sky sports then.

No.

Anyway, if you read my post, it was the Sky version that was fucked up.

I concur, I always watch the show on Sky Sports, it was quite bizarre! Fortunately we did get to see the promo. I enjoyed The Shield angle as well, it was something different and refreshing.

A genuine dislike is a good thing for a heel. I feel nothing but apathy and puzzlement, and occasionally bewilderment when he is on TV. I just don't get it. He looks like a man with a condom stretched over his face.

• Paid Members

That's you isn't it. That's not everyone else. We all have different tastes. Doesn't make them right or wrong, but people like what they like and dislike what they dislike. Just like how his segments were generally the highest viewed per week, yet everyone booed him at the arenas and said he was a waste of time. Batista being a big star isn't just perception. He isn't Ryback. When he walks out, he gets a response and he moves the numbers. Its why he's in the title match at WrestleMania. People respond to him, whether its negative or positive. Bryan isn't exactly a slam dunk either, when it comes to everyone being into him. Everyone seems to have a glaring fault these days. Generally, people look past the flaws if the person is over.

• Paid Members
A genuine dislike is a good thing for a heel. I feel nothing but apathy and puzzlement, and occasionally bewilderment when he is on TV.

What's the difference between puzzlement and bewilderment there? In any case, I don't see how his character is at all confusing, the storyline is as simple as they come. If you're struggling to keep up this one there's not much hope for you to be honest.

• Paid Members
Batista is awesome. He wore a cut off leather jacket this week. He's a bloke who actually winds up the person watching. His nose ring, his skinny jeans and trainers, his boastfulness and sense of self-worth. He's a great heel. Far better than Randy Orton.

This situation with his return has reminded me of when Orton first got his big World title push, it failed and then Batista waltzed in and was everything Orton should have been and more. I agree with Arch that this heel Batista is the absolute perfect heel foil to Daniel Bryan. It's uncanny the way it's played out really.

• Paid Members

The mrs was sat with me when I put SmackDown on this week. When Batista walked out she was quick to point out how ridiculous he looked in those skinny jeans- 'looks like he's wearing jeggings!' and was equally amused when she spotted that he was wearing a stud in his nose. She then found it absolutely hilarious when Daniel Bryan took the piss out of the very same things just moments later to get under the skin of Big Dave. I'm always interested to see what she makes of it when she catches parts of the show and the fact that she reacted in that way told me that they got it spot on with Bryan and Batista in that particular segment.

What's the difference between puzzlement and bewilderment there? In any case, I don't see how his character is at all confusing, the storyline is as simple as they come. If you're struggling to keep up this one there's not much hope for you to be honest.

The bewilderment has an aire of resignment 'maybe its just me'. I'm obviously not making my point very well, so sorry about that, it's not that I don't get the character, I understand it completely. What I don't understand is generally why you guys love Batista so much and I just can't see it, at all. I find him poor on the mic, poor in the ring, I don't find his appearance appealing (physique or his condom face). I just don't sear what you guys see in him, thats what the confusment is about.

Yes Ian, I am aware it's just me, that was kind of my point - obviously poorly made on my part.

• Moderators

Like I said in the Raw thread, he's thoroughly unconvincing as a wrestler. He feels like a muscley guy they hired to speak a couple of lines in a Father Dowling episode set at a wrestling show. I'm not getting mad about his twatty clothing like I guess I'm supposed to be, I just can't wait for his segments to be over because he's very, very poor at what he does. It makes you appreciate how spoiled we've been with the in-ring stuff lately when some stiff-legged lunk whose stuff doesn't look like it hurts and who's giggling when he's supposed to be selling is suddenly stinking up main events. There seems so little effort behind anything, no matter how much he points at his dick or wears a leather waistcoat. He really can't be arsed.

• Paid Members

Good show this week. I thought Cody Rhodes was very impressive as the fiery babyface in the opener and loved that the Real Americans gave them a solid pasting afterwards. My guess is a 3 way at WM or a 4 way with the Outlaws involved. Either way it should be fun. Is Damien Sandow in the dog house? They are wasting him at the moment. Dolph must be out the doghouse though, he got a strong win in a really enjoyable match with Del Rio and cut a strong babyface promo afterwards. It shows the laziness of the booking in a way though, just a few weeks ago Ziggler was struggling to get fluke wins over Titus O'Neal. Love the booking of the WM battle royal. It's turned what is basically a "get everyone on the show for a payday" match into something quite exciting and intriguing.

Archived