Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Awards Moderator

Add me to the 'never seen anything in Batista' camp. Astro is right, he feels like he's playing at it the whole time, rather than a career he really believes in.

A couple of points to highlight from this week's show: Bray's "UP! UP!" face was tremendous. And the line Triple H has picked for the Bryan feud is genius: "I'm protecting him, and you lot will amount to nothing". Effectively admitting that yes, he buried him for the last 7 months, and yes it was on purpose.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Is Kane in incredible shape or what?

SD_760_Photo_157.jpg

Looks like he just walked out of a comic strip. Fair play, given how much rope he has to play with at this stage in his career.

I know the UKFF doesn't think much of him but I still think Ziggler is incredible. He may just need a few tweaks to his character but I still think they could get him back to the main event. He really just is a great performer, and he's added emotion to his promos recently so i'm happy for him. Hope he does indeed steal the show at Wrestlemania. Prob helps that him and Del Rio have great chemistry in the ring too.

Corporate Kane is also underrated.

I think it was mentioned elsewhere but I'll be really sad to see The Shield break up. I know they should strike while they're hot, but I'm really loving them now as a (sort of) face unit. Feels like a whole different dynamic with them against Kane and potentially The Authority too. Feels like there is territory that could be explored there but ah well.

• Paid Members

He's going to team with the Miz and Zack Ryder in a disgruntled Misfits in Action style team by all accounts. So dont expect him to be doing anything on top of the card anytime soon. And nor should he. They have a younger, better, more athletic, faster, better looking, more marketable, more edgier looking, more over and less stupider sounding name wrestler in Seth Rollins if they want someone who can give you a 5 star match 2nd from the top. I'd even argue Rollins is a better talker as well. He might not be the Rock, but Rollins has proved he can carry a segment. Ziggler reminds me of D'Lo Brown in 2000. The roster is so stacked both in terms of who they have already and who they are looking to elevate, what is the point in trying to resurrect the flavour of 2012? At this stage you might as well put your efforts into a Sami Zayn instead of trying to breath life into a proven pain in the arse like Ziggler.

• Paid Members
Hope he does indeed steal the show at Wrestlemania.

How is Ziggler going to steal the show competing in a thirty man rumble?

He hasn't even come close to stealing an episode of Raw for god knows how long. The one thing he was good at (putting on good matches and bumping like fuck) is being done better by a handful of guys at the moment. I can't see him coming close to the main event scene again. Even the fans that loved him realise how much better Bryan, Cesaro, Shield and even a couple in NXT are than him.

Hope he does indeed steal the show at Wrestlemania.

How is Ziggler going to steal the show competing in a thirty man rumble?

It was meant as a "I hope he gets a good showing type thing" but there is no reason why he cant have a decent showing if the battle royal is booked right and he can get a crazy spot in there too. He's showing a whole lot of passion, while he still is a bit of a rubbish character there is no reason why they cant re-invent him and give the audience a reason to properly invest in him, rather than "oh, I hope they do something good with Ziggler soon" feeling we have. He is still a capable and brilliant performer. Look what they did to make Mark Henry relevant again, WWE are capable of making fans care again. Zigglers been on TV for years, fans like him, and are invested in him so to just disregard him would be senseless. Of course there are other guys about, but why not look at what you've got and help promote those guys you have, there is still potential to make money from them. Even push Ziggler so he can then put over the next generation. No harm in that. He may not be relevant now, but he could be in a year or so... or he might not. (and be in that aformentioned Misfits stable if there is any truth to that!)

Ziggler could be a decent Intercontinental level guy, but that section of the card is so throwaway and overexposed that it's hard to make any of them interesting now. He's held the IC and US titles in those dreary repeats with Kofi Kingston so many times. And for about three years, WWE have kept doing the start and stop pushes to try and use him in a higher spot than that, which he's really not capable of, and that's diminished him. I don't know what the answer is with Ziggler. Probably leave for a year and come back as a fresher face. He could do a bit of Japan, stand-up, Tommy Dreamer shows, maybe the odd All-Star tour or PCW gig.

• Paid Members

The best thing to do with Ziggler at this stage is definitely to try and get a decent tag team out of him. He could definitely make up a good tag team with someone I think. He and Kofi might be a fun babyface team actually. Kofi has done it a million times before but they're both guy loads of fans think more should be done with so might get behind them and there's the dynamic that they've been opponents 600 million times to reference and shit.

When Ryback began doing his awesome bully gimmick, it made me want to see him lead an obnoxious jock/fratboy stable. With Ziggler and Swagger as a team with him and maybe throw Alex Riley in there too. And always thought Rybacks previous name of Skip Sheffield was a better fit for it. That's what i'd like to see Ziggler doing, really.

• Paid Members
He could do a bit of Japan, stand-up, Tommy Dreamer shows, maybe the odd All-Star tour or PCW gig.

He should really do that. He'd get work everywhere in the current climate. And they could bring you back fresh as a daisy and people would have missed him while he was away. If John Morrison or Carlito returned on Monday they'd be far more over and relevant than they were when they were just floating around sick of the business like when we last saw them. Ziggler has done everything without doing anything. He's feuded and beat Cena, but you wouldn't know it. If he moved into a feud with Cena again, why would anyone care? We've seen that. He's wrestled Punk. We've seen it. He's feuded with Sheamus. He's feuded with Alberto Del Rio. He's done everything from opening match, to comedy character, to heel and face, to main event, he's had a valet, he's had a bodyguard. Yet he's still in the same position he's always been in. Every role you can put him in seems to have been done to death with him. Its like Matt Hardy in 2010. You just think "Fucking hell, is he still around?" How can we miss you if you dont go away?

Of course there is the opposite end of it, like when MVP left and he had plans to return and the phone never rang again.

What's the word on The Shield 3 way? I can see them maybe holding off until post mania and going with a Kane/NAO vs The Shield match at 'Mania first. Unless all this business with corporate Kane is just a way for him to book the 3 way to one up them.

• Paid Members

Kane and the Outlaws vs the Shield is a TV match. If they do that, it should be as build to the Shield 3-way. Plus they're obviously building to the Usos/Outlaws rematch anyway.

Unless all this business with corporate Kane is just a way for him to book the 3 way to one up them.

I think that's exactly what's going to happen. I also like the fact that if they do walk into the 3 way they will walk in as (a) faces and (b) mates... will make the eventual post match implosion all the better.

Archived