Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members

Really liked the opening. I think Smackdown does a good job of varying how they start and, after that entertaining little Bryan/Miz bit backstage, starting with a recap of the Orton/Wyatt angle leading to the Orton/Harper match was really well done.

Also liked:

* Superb, superb, superb Styles and Cena confrontation. Great mic work from both. No idea who's winning. Aj blaming Shane for him being at the back of the Rumble poster is gold.

* Carmella takes Ellsworth shopping. Tad hokey but a nice change. Ellsworth Presley did make me chuckle.

* More Bella/Natalya brawls. If they could book all of their midcard angles like this rather than 99 rematches, everyone would be way more into it.

* The lumberjack match turning into a brawl leading to people being thrown out Rumble style. It's got to be done.

Didn't like:

* Mickie James/Alexa/Becky. Just too long. Really dragged the show. Get on with it.

* Another title rematch. They're fucking everywhere every week.

* Mojo bastard Rawley winning a Rumble spot. That Battle Royal 'an all. All your shit tag teams, Curt Hawkins and Mojo. For a place in the Rumble match.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've not watched Smackdown yet, but it's brilliant they've worked that Rumble poster into the Cena/AJ storyline. I thought it was a bit off when I saw they put their champion well in the back. Intentional or not, it's perfect for the story of AJ/Cena. Somebody is on the ball.

* Mojo bastard Rawley 

My thoughts exactly. Why does this mean anything? He's not winning the rumble, so why put in the proviso of him winning a battle royale to get in. Was there really nobody else to do this with? Kane? Rhyno? Anybody?

This AJ/Cena story has been one of the best things WWE have done in well, forever, they are so good together, as well as it's received I don't actually think it's getting all the praise it SHOULD. It's fucking brilliant and I will actually be gutted when it comes to a head and they both move on, can't get enough of it.

I posted on this thread when the feud restarted that I'd seen the match 3 times on PPV shows just recently and had no interest in seeing it again. The build for this match has been so good that I can't wait to see it again.

• Paid Members

I was hoping Rhyno would win that battle royal. I found the idea of having to win a battle royal to qualify for the Royal Rumble  quite amusing.

The Styles Cena segment was fantastic. It's quite sad that there's a distinct lack of Smackdown undercard matches on the Rumble card. Not even Alpha defending their tag belts on the preshow unless things have been booked on Talking Smack that I've not seen yet.

Ziggler coming out doing pretty much the same entrance as he does as a babyface doesn't really scream heel at me. The complete silence after his win over Kalisto speaks volumes. As does the pop when he goes for a chair. Booing Crews for making the save was a bit crap.

It feels like a regular Smackdown that just happens to fall right before the Royal Rumble whereas Raw was the "go home" show. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it still stinks of the higher ups thinking of Smackdown as the "B show"

Miz using more and more of Daniel Bryan's offence is still great. Anybody pick up Otunga calling him "A habitual line stepper" on commentary. I think JBL got a line in about haters as well. Nice nod to Dave Chappelle. That main event was another solid match. I'd imagine next week's show will be off the hook as the hype train for Elimination Chamber will get rolling.

Good to see American Alpha off the show for the second week running (unless I've missed something), and no match for the Rumble.

Cena has been so strong in the build up to this that there's no way he's winning at the Rumble. He's got the better of every verbal battle, won clean against Corbin, and laid out AJ and Miz. Styles is retaining at the PPV, totally convinced.

Mickie/Lynch/Bliss could have been half the length and it would have been twice as effective.

It's a testament to the booking that they've managed to take Orton and Wyatt and turn it into something I give a shit about, because it sounded so flat on paper when it was first in motion. Harper is such a gem.

Every week my Mania Predictions change, but after this I think we're looking at:

Cena vs Taker (WWE title)

Reigns vs Strowman (Universal)

AJ Vs Shane (possibly AJ/Miz vs Shane/Bryan)

Goldberg vs Lesnar

Rollins vs HHH

Owens Vs Jericho (US Title)

I can't see past either Taker or Strowman winning the Rumble and I'd be happy with either personally.

Like yourself, PSF, my predictions change constantly, but right now I can't see past Goldberg winning the Rumble and challenging Reigns for the Universal Title. I think there's a possibility we'll see AJ vs Cena again, but if not then I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's AJ vs Shane.

Maybe Undertaker vs Strowman? Where that leaves Lesnar I have no idea.

The Wyatts stuff is fantastic, even more looking forward to the Rumble now to see how that stuff unfolds. If this is a breakout moment for Harper I shall be very pleased

Carmellsworth is a gold act. The line about Sami Zayn had me pissin. And for once I liked the fact Ellsworth was inexplicably in his wrestling gear at a clothes shop

AJ and Cena just superb, utterly believable and totally out shining anything Raw serves up

Enjoyed the Mickie promo myself and the 6 woman tag should be decent

Only downsides were no Alpha programme going into the Rumble, Mojo winning that gash battle royal and not following up on the Ziggler King stuff in any meaningful way by just seeing off Kalisto cleanly. he's just as directionless as he was before he turned now

Think I'm more excited for this year's Rumble than I have been since like 05, the first one I got to see live

Archived