Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members

Good to see American Alpha off the show for the second week running (unless I've missed something), and no match for the Rumble.

Struggling to see the positive here. Being left off TV one week is good, less chance of over-exposure and keep things fresh. However two weekly TV shows in a row and a major PPV without an appearance of your tag champs? Nah, that's not good. They don't have a feud at the moment, they won the titles rather surprisingly- after a few months of being cold and losing any sort of momentum they had when the brand split happened. The booking of American Alpha has been one of the most puzzling things over the past several months. Why bother giving them the titles in the first place?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends where they go with some guys this year like Taker vs Cena, Brock vs Goldberg, Rollins vs HHH, Show vs Shaq, Reigns vs Balor, Brawn or whoever.

Instead of doing another single match for WWE Title for I'd do AJ © vs Corbin vs Wyatt vs Orton in a 4 way, may not read as a Mania match but if the rest of the card is stacked they could afford a match like this and give Baron and Bray a main event rub on the biggest stage and save single matches for Smackdowns solo ppv's 

Good to see American Alpha off the show for the second week running (unless I've missed something), and no match for the Rumble.

Struggling to see the positive here. Being left off TV one week is good, less chance of over-exposure and keep things fresh. However two weekly TV shows in a row and a major PPV without an appearance of your tag champs? Nah, that's not good. They don't have a feud at the moment, they won the titles rather surprisingly- after a few months of being cold and losing any sort of momentum they had when the brand split happened. The booking of American Alpha has been one of the most puzzling things over the past several months. Why bother giving them the titles in the first place?

What was even more surprising was they were randomly around the ring for the lumberjack match.

Another decent Smackdown, The Ellsworth segment could of been rotten as we've seen with previous skits like that but It got a few laughs from me anyway.

It makes sense not just wasting American Alpha in matches when there's nothing going on and nobody on their level to feud with. But they should be doing something with them in that couple of weeks to make them look a bigger deal than just being in amongst the lumberjacks -- if you can't write a three minute skit for them, do a sitdown interview about what the titles mean to them and their mission statement as champions, or at least footage of them doing a Be A Star appearance in front of loads of excited kids or something.

And at the same time, build up another team to look like at least quasi-credible contenders to put the champs over on the Rumble undercard. I still feel that with the titles now added, you could reheat Alpha's feud with the Usos in a week or two with a backstage brawl and a video package. But if WWE feels that ship has sailed, give The Ascension a dominant win over Slater and Rhyno and a solid vignette or promo or something. Or let Mojo Rawley pick a new partner to cash in that title shot that Ryder won the other week. Or both! They've got three or four heel teams that are nowhere near the champs but could get them through the next month or so with even half-arsed effort. 

As it is, I don't even see what there is on the horizon for American Alpha, short of teaming up with Randy Orton against Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper and Erick Rowan if he's back soon. If that doesn't happen, I can't picture them doing anything until the next draft or a fortuitous NXT call-up.

The Usos feud should never have been taken off the boil, it was great stuff, but they just disregarded it among the Survivors brand loyalty stuff. big shame but they can still go back to it

and yeah, Alpha shouldn't squash the division, but why they aren't in more taped segments is baffling. They got over in NXT from taped segments. There's been practically none since. Remember all the Angle comparisons to Gable for his goofy styled humour, not just being an amateur wrestler, that's not been shown to the wider audience at all. Jordans in a vaguely better position being the hot tag guy but neither have been able to show the charm that got people behind them

Between this and Bastard Layfield barking at them on Talking Smack to drop the Ready Willing Gable stuff (advice they appear to have taken on board from what I've noticed) they feel majorly mismanaged at the moment

Archived