Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watch smackdown, it has a character on it trying to provide for his kids that will be an insperation to you all , and set you on the right path

Let this be a lesson to all the Dads out there, be you shy, bicurious, Polish or sexy (the four types of Dad as we all know) - family always comes first.

I did mention you!

I know. I'm just hoping to get some family advice from scotswizard. Perhaps on how to satisfy my wiiiiiife?

Let this be a lesson to all the Dads out there, be you shy, bicurious, Polish or sexy (the four types of Dad as we all know) 

:(

another good show this week, standard. good main event, Cena's comeback seemed a bit quick to me but it's a minor complaint. Corbin dished a whooping most of the time. both their pre-match promos were excellent, Cena is the man.

dug the post-match of the Wyatts though the match outcome was a bit of a re-run of last week. whatever happens, I'm fully intrigued. Harper face turn mayyyybeee? The crowd were chanting for Randy but they could go a different way with it

and this Ambrose Miz feud is just a blast, as all recent Miz feuds have been, but this one's particularly good. 

I had this feeling while the split was in it's early stages.. with this being Shane's show, all the talk of the "new era" last year, the Daniel Bryan GM appointment overshadowing Foley... is SmackDown supposed to be the "face" brand? And Raw is heel. it doesn't make sense why they'd do that but fast forward to today and it still seems like the case. loads of shit that makes me think this even though like I say why the hell would they wanna do that? You have fans yessing at the Zayn to Smackdown tease a few weeks back, a pop for Smackdown beating Raw in the ratings. all signs point to Team Blue... it's a very bizarre period for the company

regardless, I buy into the Ryan Ward hype. he's consistently written television I not only really enjoy but actively look forward to week by week. stuff like the Miz participation award and the continued use of Ellsworth shows charm and creativity nothing like what we see on Raw. I don't buy that you snip the third hour off Raw and all of a sudden it's a really good show or flows half as well as this. Raw's beginning to make me sick of Owens and Jericho - two of my fav guys on the whole roster, while SmackDown is generally a blast using guys like Ziggler and Corbin really well who I had no interest in prior to the split, and all the while I'm not even close to burned out on guys like Styles and Miz who are constant presences. Raw's material just does not stack up to SD's and it's generally only BRAUN SMASH or a part timer that makes an impact. Either give this guy a raise and get him on double-duty or find someone who can hold a candle. I can only imagine the dead-weight in the Raw creative team right now

• Paid Members

The danger is at some point with Vince seeing Smackdown doing better than Raw he sticks Ryan on Raw and dumps somebody from the Raw creative team on Smackdown because he can't stand the thought of Raw not being the number one show. The Ambrose Miz segment was great. Makes the IC title look like a big deal rather than a step backwards for former World champion Ambrose.

Nattie and Nikki's brawl looked brilliant, although I did pop for the Sharpshooter. I wonder whether they're setting Nattie up for a run with Alexa Bliss once the Becky Lynch stuff is over.

Ziggler's turn continues, and again it looks like there's real heat there. They do a great job of looking like they want to tear each other apart.

Cena's promo was fantastic. He has some fire in his belly right now, I like this aggressive, no nonsense not pandering to the crowd attitude he has. He's going to sell the merch regardless, so he might as well give the "smarks" something to pop for as well.

Wyatts Vs American Alpha was a great match. American Alpha haven't looked this good for a while, and it forwarded the Orton/Wyatts situation. When's Erick Rowan back? How will he factor into these things? Wyatt & Orton Vs Harper & Rowan at some point down the line? Then Orton strikes when he knows Bray has nobody to back him up...

Steel cage match could be good.

Carmellsworth were amusing again. I can't wait for his F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S makeover to see how that turns out.

Baron Corbin gets better and better. I'm hoping he has a decent appearance in the Rumble. I don't think he'll win it, though. Once again he looked like a beast against Cena in the main event dominating him like that until the "Super Cena" comeback.

Another good episode of Smackdown. The Rumble needs a couple more undercard matches yet, though.

• Paid Members

I defended the Smackdown roster after the draft and I think it's been vindicated. They've got a lot of talent and they're doing well with it up and down the card.

Two things I didn't like on this show. Didn't like Corbin losing clean to Cena. I get why but I think they've done too well with Corbin to have him lose this soon and in a regular TV match. I'd have put Crews in that spot. He would have gained from just working with Cena.

The other thing was that fucking Ziggler match. I swear, I've seen that a hundred times. Guy turns heel, loses, gets more frustrated. If it was novel, it would work. It isn't, it's old and shit. And that pre-match promo where Dolph did one of his two expressions - the "I'm trying to cry but I can't" look.

It should have been haircut, new gear, fuck you interview, beat the shit out of Kalisto, cheat to win, destroy him after the match because you can and attempt to show something other than expression #2 - I've got a wasp in my mouth but I quite like it.

It probably doesn't matter, because he's Dolph Ziggler. But this was such a retread.

Really good show otherwise. Like the Wyatts/Orton slow burn, Opening was decent for one of these always terrible WWE "talk show" segments, Ellsworth & Carmella is intruiging, Nikki and Nattie were brilliant, Cena's great. Good stuff.

• Paid Members

I defended the Smackdown roster after the draft and I think it's been vindicated. They've got a lot of talent and they're doing well with it up and down the card.

I thought Smackdown drew the short straw because beyond the impressive main eventers (Cena, Orton, Wyatt, Styles, Ambrose), they looked right shit at mid-card and below. But that's the sort of thing you'd imagine this talented writer would relish at, like he did with NXT (which wasn't completely full of talented indy darlings. Jinder Mahal in the final for the title anyone?), making most of what he had. I think it motivates you do work harder and become less complacent, whereas on Raw you often get the same old shite week in, week out. It's hard to tell one week from the other.

I also wouldn't have had Corbin lose clean to Cena either. I'm sure he'll be fine after it, but they've done a good job building him up lately. I definitely wouldn't have put Crews in that spot though, they've portrayed him as a right fucking loser. I'd have trouble being convinced that he can beat one of the Ascension at the moment.

I can echo the disappointment for the Ziggler match. I came back from the bog and heard Kalisto's music and let out a little tut. The music has to go too, I think his gear has changed fairly recently as he's ditched the HBK cosplay tights and I think the highlights in his hair as well, so I'll give him a pass there. hopefully it's a work in progress. I'm still on board mind cos at least I can boo him now. Fans yessing every heel beatdown need to have a word with themselves, so frustrating and I don't get it either. for the initial shock turn, sure go ahead and pop I guess but what's their excuse this week?

• Paid Members

The logical finish is surely that Styles gets involved and the match is thrown out, or Corbin is distracted by Styles and Cena nicks it? The point of this whole "Cena's trying to prove he's still got it" thing has to be making it look like Cena is narrowly nicking these things, not that he takes a pounding from a monster, but can turn it round with his signature moves. Especially after they've been kicked out of so many times, but Monstrous Corbin stays down to it first time? I've also got this worrying feeling we're going to be seeing Corbin & Ziggler Vs Crews & Kalisto soon, which may do some harm to Corbin.

• Paid Members

Thing

I thought Smackdown drew the short straw because beyond the impressive main eventers (Cena, Orton, Wyatt, Styles, Ambrose), they looked right shit at mid-card and below. But that's the sort of thing you'd imagine this talented writer would relish at, like he did with NXT (which wasn't completely full of talented indy darlings. Jinder Mahal in the final for the title anyone?), making most of what he had. I think it motivates you do work harder and become less complacent, whereas on Raw you often get the same old shite week in, week out. It's hard to tell one week from the other.

Definitely. On paper, Smackdown doesn't have Raw's depth, but in some odd twist, they've tried their hardest to make the most of what they have. Ellsworth being the best example possible. They took some weird looking cult job guy and got a few months out of him in the main event, without actually hampering the stars. I was very impressed with the pacing of it all, because WWE are pretty rotten at knowing when something has to peak or has peaked, these days.

• Paid Members

Another strong Smackdown but I was hoping for something a little more interesting than the usual Cena win. Double DQ/match getting thrown out due to AJ getting involved would have been fine here. I think Corbin is definitely a future world champ so I'd prefer him not to lose at all, but especially in such a definitive manner to a move that everybody kicks out of. Then again, a strong showing in the Rumble for Corbin and I'd forget all about this.

Miz/Ambrose is probably my favourite WWE storyline right now. Just simple pro-wrestling with a little bit of reality creeping in and a genuine reason for them to hate each other. Simple stuff you hardly see on Raw anymore.

It sums up Smackdown when a womens division consisting of people I previously didn't care for (Alexa, Carmella, Natalya, Nikki) is tons better than a womens division consisting of people I did like in Charlotte, Bayley and Banks. 

The danger is at some point with Vince seeing Smackdown doing better than Raw he sticks Ryan on Raw and dumps somebody from the Raw creative team on Smackdown because he can't stand the thought of Raw not being the number one show.

Exactly the point I was making last week in that (overly) long post. If Vince does identify Ward as an effective a Head Writer as he seems to be, I can see him basically moving him to RAW to become the show's Head Writer. Either as a mandated move or as part of a draft mixing of the creative teams. The 'best for the best' mentality that exists in many places.

Archived