Smackdown Discussion Thread

Ryan Ward is the greatest booker in years as far as I can see. I'm not sure anyone's debating that anyway.

Smackdown officially surpassed NXT as the top WWE show for me over the last two weeks.

I'm thinking Mickie James turns up next week under the mask in that cage match. (Edit: In an update to my suspicions that Deanna Purazzo wasn't under the mask last week, it seems that was true as she was working the TNA tapings all last week and supposedly signed with them).

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd guess it's about trying to make Cena look strong, but there are surely other people they could have put him over to do so. Give him a non-title win over Styles to make things look interesting for the Rumble, even if it's in a tag match. Hopefully Corbin doesn't go the way of Rusev/Bray Wyatt after they were built up and met Cena. I couldn't decide whether people were actually popping for Cena against Corbin, or whether they were doing that thing where some of the crowd noise is cut to try and drown out the booing. I could see it being people getting behind this new Cena attitude, though.

The Mickey James thing could still happen. I think people have wrested as masked characters and then different people being used for the reveal in the past. I don't mean like the Shane Douglas Tom Zenk thing in WCW, but people have been thrown out there under hoods just to try and throw the fans off of who it may be until the big reveal. It's a clever strategy, plus would probably give some of the other talent a chance to show their stuff without the risk of damaging their future chances..

The danger is at some point with Vince seeing Smackdown doing better than Raw he sticks Ryan on Raw and dumps somebody from the Raw creative team on Smackdown because he can't stand the thought of Raw not being the number one show.

Exactly the point I was making last week in that (overly) long post. If Vince does identify Ward as an effective a Head Writer as he seems to be, I can see him basically moving him to RAW to become the show's Head Writer. Either as a mandated move or as part of a draft mixing of the creative teams. The 'best for the best' mentality that exists in many places.

It would be to the detriment of Smackdown if he was moved.

On the flip side I'm not sure it would improve RAW. It still feels that RAW is being done for an audience of one.

So unless he can write sparkle crotch jokes or imply that Lana has slept with half the roster then he wouldn't fit in.

• Paid Members

I'll be honest: When Shane came out and started hyping the Elimination Chamber 2 weeks before Royal Rumble I was a bit concerned, but then Styles came out, Cena came out and it all started to pick up, by the time Miz interjected I was loving it. Cena was absolute gold sneaking up behind them both shit-stirring. I fast forwarded through an ad break a bit too far and wondered why the X-Division title was on the line then realised it was a promo for Vin Diesel's latest offering. That opener was a great contest, and ended the way Cena Vs Corbin should have the other week.

That Nikki & Nattie segment was great. Everything the Raw women's division isn't. They had passion, fire. You actually believe they want to murder each other. I'm guessing they'll be locking horns at Elimination Chamber and it'll be off the hook,

Alexa's little interview was nice.

Angle is one of the greatest of all time and a very deserving Hall Of Fame headliner.

Orton Vs Ambrose was decent enough. The Wyatts thing really interests me. Somebody mentioned about doing a Harper turn. HArper & Rowan Vs BRay and Randy somewhere?

I wondered where we were going with the Lawler/Ziggler segment initially, but it did what it needed to.

How low rent did those production values in the xXx trailer look? Obvious green screen is obvious.

I'm looking forward to Harper Vs Orton.

That main event was solid. Alexa playing chickenshit at the start then turning super aggressive when she knew she was out of options, both ladies digging deep. La Luchadora's involvement at the end and then the Mickey reveal. Brilliant. Their characters compliment each other so well.

Another good show. Once again it's making me want to see what happens next week, unlike certain other WWE shows.

• Paid Members

Opposite sides of a tag match just in case anything was to happen to Lawler again? Can JBL still go? Him and Jerry Vs Ziggler and somebody else?

• Paid Members

The Lawler thing shows they just get it on Smackdown. Get Lawler in his home town doing a segment you haven't just invented to put heat on the heel. Good stuff.

Natalya & Nikki was another cracking SD women's brawl.

Still enjoying the slow tease in the Wyatts.

Not a big fan of hyping the Elimination Chamber before the Rumble, which has been seriously overlooked this week. That tagline "Remember the Rumble" is that a note to self for WWE?

Mickie James, eh? Didn't know she was black?

Another good thing about SD. No Corbin, Crews, Ellsworth, tag teams this week. That's a good thing. Don't want everyone burning through everything on every show. Great pacing.

Opposite sides of a tag match just in case anything was to happen to Lawler again? Can JBL still go? Him and Jerry Vs Ziggler and somebody else?

It'll be King and Crews if they go that way I reckon. I wonder how long they'll have Lawler on screen.

I have a vision they could do Ziggler v Crews at the Chamber or something and King decides to turn on Crews and manage Ziggler. 

It'll be King and Crews if they go that way I reckon. I wonder how long they'll have Lawler on screen.

I have a vision they could do Ziggler v Crews at the Chamber or something and King decides to turn on Crews and manage Ziggler. 

Jesus, imagine having OTT 1993 Lawler as Zigglers manager. Sounds bloody lovely

Another very good show and I only really have one criticism. Why defeat the purpose of the Royal Rumble by announcing the Chamber match and granting people entry before it? If I'm The Miz, I'm not too arsed about winning the Rumble now as I'm getting my title shot before Mania anyway.

Was that made official? I know Miz came out and said he would either win the Rumble or Chamber, but did Shane actually say he was in?

I feel like they should do qualifying matches for the Chamber. I would have liked some for the Rumble match, but I understand the rosters are a little thin to be doing that.

• Paid Members

I guess starting the Chamber hype now is better than trying to shoehorn it all into the 2 weeks following the Rumble.

• Paid Members

In that case, they would do well to have the qualifying matches (assuming they have them, they usually do) take place on the Smackdown after the Rumble. Although they could announce both Cena & Styles for it now, regardless of who wins at the Rumble. If they announce anyone now, it's going to be pretty silly and almost pre-determine a Raw winner at the Rumble.

• Paid Members

If it's Cena, AJ can call it in as his rematch. If AJ wins, then put Cena through a qualifier as well.

Archived