Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members

That opening segment and Fatal Fourway were great. Nice to see AJ bust out the moonsault DDT, and that was a good one. Sometimes that move looks horrible, but Ambrose has done his homework.

Harper's promo was good.

The thing with Nikki & Nattie dragged a bit, but did well to showcase the feud.

I don't think I've heard that big a pop for Ziggler in ages, which is a shame as he's supposed to be a heel now. At least his Shawn Michaels impression got him the heat it deserved. I'd imagine he's going to win the handicap match on Sunday. It was weird for JBL to go from calling Ziggler out over using the chairs on Kalisto and Crews to saying he was unfairly treated by being put in the handicap match, but no less inconsistent than normal.

I thought it was weird that Naomi came out to the contract signing dressed for a match while the other three came dressed like they were off out afterwards. I also had a feeling it was going to end up as a tag team match (playa).

Speaking of tag team matches, that was an unexpected finish. Anybody think Rhyno would do alright having a singles run? When do the Revival turn up?

Orton Vs Cena felt like a big match, possibly because it's not really happened for a while and their characters have changed quite a lot since then. Bray's presence at ringside gave it something extra and fresh as well. Watching them countering each other's signature spots was nice. That table spot was unexpected and the hangman's DDT from the top looked pretty brutal. I know the commentators often try to say it in terms of hyperbole, but that was a PPV quality match on free TV. The finish was pretty special as well, and really helped to forward the Wyatt/Orton/Harper situation as well.

I thought it was a solid go home show that gave us a chance to see everybody that was booked for the show on Sunday

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The tag team division is still pretty poor, but other than that I thought Smackdown was really cracking this week, even better than normal.

3 women's matches on the ppv this weekend and I have a reasonable level of interest in all of them, which is a record. Alexa Bliss looked incredible in that contract signing too...

Now they're back to two brands, though, I really wish they'd use the Elimination Chamber as a "final eliminator" for contenders to the belt that doesn't have a challenger after the Rumble, rather than (seemingly) as a plot device to move a belt around & get the ducks in order for the run to the big show. A second chance to get to Mania, but a bloody tough way of doing it. Maybe next year it'll work out that way.

• Paid Members

Now they're back to two brands, though, I really wish they'd use the Elimination Chamber as a "final eliminator" for contenders to the belt that doesn't have a challenger after the Rumble, rather than (seemingly) as a plot device to move a belt around & get the ducks in order for the run to the big show. A second chance to get to Mania, but a bloody tough way of doing it. Maybe next year it'll work out that way.

They did that one year didn't they? I liked when Smackdown had their own Rumble back in 2004.

• Paid Members

Yeah, they did - 2013, the year Jack Swagger "came out of nowhere" to win with the new Zeb Colter gimmick, having been off TV for 6 months or so prior.

It just seems like such a natural use of the match type.

I wonder what they have planned for him at Mania? IC title match with Ambrose?

I like that idea actually, think it could be a decent match on the undercard.

I highly doubt it will happen though, for some reason over the last few years everyone has to get on the card so we'll get a 7 man ladder match or something for the IC belt.

Whats with odd numbered matches over the past few years?

Fatal 5 ways, 7 man ladder match, etc. It's really bugging me.

I first noticed it at Mania 24, with the MITB match, which I think was supposed to include Jeff Hardy, before he got suspended or something, which if that was the reason for the odd numbers then fair enough, but it just keeps happening.

Has anybody else noticed this?

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's odd. As you said, 24 should have been an 8-man until Jeff got suspended, but they've invariably stuck to 7 ever since.

Maybe something they noticed in the "planning stage" that having an odd number made it easier to lay the match out?

I literally want a lot of the stuff that Kylla customwear shop sells, very expensive but looks good.

I was looking at them thinking of getting something for Tourture Garden, but instead I'm thinking I want the white jacket with tassels on from

http://www.thunderballclothing.com

Pretty much decided I'm going to dress like I would if I was a wrestler. They also have a lovely pink jacket and shorts combo

• Paid Members

Smackdown flew by this week. Good segments to keep things moving on. Nikki Vs Nattie falls count anywhere I'd imagine leads to something happening with Maryse. Ambrose getting the beatdown from Corbin once again made the Baron look like a beast of a man who marches to the beat of his own drum. Mickie & Becky had a good match and it keeps things busy while the Alexa/Naomi rematch is gotten out of the way. Carmellsworth were fun again.Alpha Vs The Ascension was what it was, but the promo from the Usos was good. 

I'm guessing they're going to end up having Bray Vs Orton Vs Harper in a triple threat at Mania? I could have done without JBL's banging on about how much he's looking forward to Cena Vs Orton at Mania, Counsellor I know the likely winner wasn't in much doubt, but throwing such obvious lines as that out doesn't help.

That main event was off the hook. Another good finish to it as well followed by Orton refusing to wrestle Bray at Mania. There's an interesting twist but now the whole universe is salivating even more at the inevitable RKO out of nowhere. They're playing it brilliantly, though. Smackdown keeps delivering. 

Props to whoever is booking this stuff at the moment because that was another really solid two hours, when was the last time both weekly shows provided such consistent entertainment?

I’m a massive fan of the slow burn angles they’re doing across both shows, and last night’s Bray, Orton and Harper business has got me extremely excited to see how the Wyatt Family and the title are going to intertwine at Mania. Good on them in forgoing Randy's turn straight away and the inevitable 7 weeks of "I'll see you at Mania!" promos.

I really want Harper winning that battle royal next week.

Archived