Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members

That was a really easy watch. Good promos from Orton, Styles, The New Day and Miz. The Truth and Nakamura stuff was very enjoyable as well, and the main event was really good. Such a stark difference to watching Raw this week which dragged like nobody's business. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Absolutely spectacular video packages building up The Miz vs. Daniel Bryan. Both guys' closing promos were fantastic too. Kudos to everyone involved, here. This has peaked at the perfect time and Bryan finally feels like a huge deal again. Fascinating that they've got back on track when he's got less than twenty days left on his contract, though.

I see it didn't take long before someone told Killian Dain to cover his back up. Shame. He looked better in the trunks.

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

Fascinating that they've got back on track when he's got less twenty days left on his contract, though.

He is all over the new wwe 2k19 game and is featured in the showcase mode so I have to assume he has signed a new contract, can't see them agreeing to have him be an integral part of the game if he won't be around for the promotional work for it.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, MVP RULZ said:

He is all over the new wwe 2k19 game and is featured in the showcase mode so I have to assume he has signed a new contract, can't see them agreeing to have him be an integral part of the game if he won't be around for the promotional work for it.

That decsion and the development of that mode will have began months and months ago and is not something that I think should determine the likelihood of him staying. I still suspect the news will break that he has signed, but him featuring in the game isn’t something I’d read too much into. 

• Paid Members
On 8/15/2018 at 10:04 AM, Supremo said:

Absolutely spectacular video packages building up The Miz vs. Daniel Bryan. Both guys' closing promos were fantastic too. Kudos to everyone involved, here. This has peaked at the perfect time and Bryan finally feels like a huge deal again. Fascinating that they've got back on track when he's got less twenty days left on his contract, though.

I see it didn't take long before someone told Killian Dain to cover his back up. Shame. He looked better in the trunks.

They really did get this whole thing back on track here with those three video segments. Great work all round. Smackdown's side of SummerSlam looks a hell of a lot more appealing than Raw's end of things. 

It's funny how they can dedicate that time to three video packages to sell a feud on Smackdown, the shorter show, and yet so many times on Raw they just dont bother even with the extended time.

Video packages like that for current feuds or new stars would be such an easy way of getting an audience interested but they rarely do it. It's always 'oh here's so and so from NXT' with little to no context given to why the new audience should give a shit.

With the amount of TV time they have every week they really have no excuse.

I don't get Sanity. The commentators hype them up as bringing chaos, instability, etc and I just don't see it. They seem very much like any other team. The bell rings, they work their match, and then they go home. How exactly are they bringing chaos? It's irritated me for a little while now. I almost expect them to be like how the Nexus were on their debut, actually doing something to stand out, but on a much more toned down basis since they are not in the main event but there is nothing.

• Paid Members

Smackers is excellent right now. You've got a mix of decent babyfaces and a selection of fucking brilliant heels, with some great storylines on the go as well. Raw has it's odd decent moments here and there but Smackers' consistency across an entire broadcast is fantastic. 

Joe is such a vicious, despicable cunt. This feud with AJ is fast becoming my favourite thing in wrestling at the moment. 

Orton putting his finger in Jeff's ear is absolutely squirm inducing - such a dick move. Turned into quite a fun scrap at the end. Initially I was thinking they'd make Orton into more of a killer and going on more of rampage but the big brawl into the stands at the end was fun to watch with Jeff ramping up the intensity as well. No issue with this feud continuing. With Joe currently in place as the title challenger going on a rampage of his own, there's no harm in having Orton work a grudge feud with Hardy while that carries on before he works his way through the rest of the roster. 

Miz is such a wanker and I love it. I can see why people might take issue with Brie attacking him but it's only going to give Miz even more ammunition to cut scathing promos on both of them, so I'm fine with it. His facials after he scurried up the ramp were priceless. Maryse is just absolute sex - her getting her hands on Brie for attacking her man is going to be excellent to watch. 

Great promo from Becky even if the dynamic is weird with the face/heel alignments with her and Charlotte being the wrong way round. 

Decent main event - hopefully Harper gets a singles run now because I think he'd be excellent. 

Again though, how fucking good is Smackdown right now? Joe, Orton and Miz are not just three of the best heels in the company at the moment, but potentially the last decade. WWE struggles to book babyfaces well but with AJ, New Day, Bryan and Hardy you've got some genuinely entertaining and likeable characters to root for without it feeling too forced or contrived. 

• Paid Members

Only complaint is I think they've missed a great opportunity to have Miz drag out the "I refuse to face Bryan again" until Mania. Honestly. Put the belt on Miz and have him duck Bryan for months, costing him number one contenders matches and talking about him even when he's occupied elsewhere. Then Bryan FINALLY wins the Rumble and you do the match at Mania. They can have the patience to do that on one brand now they've got the belt on Raw on a regular. It would be great.

Becky. Wow.

• Paid Members

Wow. Becky Lynch can cut a great heel promo. That was some of the best mic work of all the women on the roster in years.

It’s just a shame that she’s absolutely in the right in this storyline and in no way the baddie. It’s fascinating that WWE have spent so long scripting babyfaces to not care about wins or losses that they now think anyone caring, with a legitimate gripe, must automatically be a heel.

22 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Wow. Becky Lynch can cut a great heel promo. That was some of the best mic work of all the women on the roster in years.

It’s just a shame that she’s absolutely in the right in this storyline and in no way the baddie. It’s fascinating that WWE have spent so long scripting babyfaces to not care about wins or losses that they now think anyone caring, with a legitimate gripe, must automatically be a heel.

How is she in the right? 

She was getting the shit kicked out if her until her best friend saved her.

Then Paige said if Charlotte beats the champion then she gets added to the match. 

She beats the champion fair and square so is rightfully added to the match. 

Charlotte wins the three way fair and square and becky has a tantrum because she wasnt good enough to win. 

If becky isn't the heel then it has to be Paige. It certainly isnt Charlotte as all she did was win matches that her bosses put her in. 

• Paid Members

Becky worked for months for the opportunity. Charlotte turned up one week, got handed it by the GM and never considered that she was stepping on her "best friend's" toes. It's shithouse behaviour. Not that it matters, Becky was a better heel on night one than any woman has been in yonks.

Archived