Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Good show this week. With the talent they have on the roster it feels like they've been teasing everyone's balls for ages and not doing the matches that make the most sense. Now that there are no more pay per views before Summerslam, it looks like they're finally willing to pull some triggers. Miz vs. Bryan has definitely lost some steam but I'm still excited to see where it goes and hopefully we get Joe vs. AJ for the Title as the TV seems to suggest. Plus, heel Randy is the best Randy. That thing with Jeff's ear was fucking gross. Genuinely hard to watch. I like the idea of Hardy, Orton and Nakamura in a triple threat. Add a multi-man Tag Title match involving the Usos, The Bar, New Day and Bludgeon Brothers and you've got a cracking Smackers side to Summerslam. Hopefully they find something fun for Almas to do too because this was the best he's looked on the main roster.

Shame the Carmella reign is so shit.

• Paid Members

Another tight little show on Smackers. Really solid focus with the Miz/Bryan stuff finally going somewhere. Good angle with the doll. That mock video with Miz getting battered by everyone was great too. As much as it was disparaging, it did a good job of only showing Miz get battered by proper superstars.

Tag division looks really strong with New Day, Sanity, Harper & Rowan, Usos and The Bar. Tournament is nicely focussing that too.

Styles/Joe should be great. Joe's attack was well done and his little promo was brilliant. Good use of Ellsworth for a bit of comedy. Some funny stuff on the show. Particularly loved Naka's "Can you 'ear me, Jeff" and Sin Cara's mask.

Almas/Rusev was good. Hate Rusev losing but Almas is great. Orton's promo was alright. Funny tweet from Ian pointing out Randy's old rko t-shirt when he was saying he'd never steal a "sweet hand signal" from anyone. Nah, just their logo.

Becky wins again. Woohoo.

• Paid Members

Yeah, another good show. It feels like they’re finally finding their groove and starting to reach the potential they looked to have after the draft gave them such a promising roster.

The only real drawback was the baby angle in the main event. It wasn’t terrible or anything but it was just a bit silly, made Bryan look a bit thick, and would’ve been far better suited to a backstage angle. No-one was buying they’d bring a baby out in front of the crowd.

Really enjoying Almas moving up the card so quickly. Clearly someone went back and watched his recent NXT stuff and realised he needs to be rocketed to the main event scene immediately. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Supremo said:

The only real drawback was the baby angle in the main event. It wasn’t terrible or anything but it was just a bit silly, made Bryan look a bit thick, and would’ve been far better suited to a backstage angle. No-one was buying they’d bring a baby out in front of the crowd.

Fair enough. The reason I like it is because it showed The Miz is a man that will gladly drag his new born into this to get the upper hand - even if he used a doll. What a bastard.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Fair enough. The reason I like it is because it showed The Miz is a man that will gladly drag his new born into this to get the upper hand - even if he used a doll. What a bastard.

Oh, I agree - I thought Miz was great throughout. It being in front of the crowd with Miz shouting into that booming microphone was just a bit too much for my suspension of disbelief, which in turn made Bryan look a bit of a goof. Overall he did a phenomenal job though. I even enjoyed him arriving in a limo. Not enough guys do that anymore. I actually find myself missing it. A limo and a suit goes a long way to making someone look a star.

I hope they make Usos vs. The Bar the main event next week. Give them 25 minutes and they’ll almost certainly have a fantastic match.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Nah, don't agree. It was completely obvious but done well enough to buy into. No babyface can kick the shit out of Miz on the belief that it's probably not a baby. It was a good angle all round.

Agree on the limo. When they started with that, I was just willing for it to be the Miz.

Smackdown side for SummerSlam is shaping up to be pretty tasty indeed.

AJ v Joe for the WWE Title
Becky v Carmella for the Women's belt

I can see them chucking in:

Jeff v Orton v Nakamura for the US belt
Rusev/Lana v Andrade/Celina
Bludgeons v The Bar
Sanity v New Day
Miz v Daniel Bryan

No places for Asuka, the Usos, Charlotte etc. unless they start shoehorning people in through more multiperson matches.

• Paid Members

It’s early days yet but thinking about it just now, I wonder if we’ll one day look at that baby angle the same way we look at that broken-leg storyline during the Bret vs. Vince feud leading into Wrestlemania 26.

It’s got the same feeling about it, where the story writes itself because of how authentic it is. All you need to do is show the historical footage and cut some classic promos. Adding cute stuff like this is unnecessary and ultimately ends up taking away from the storyline by making it feel like every other angle.

I dunno. I guess we’ll wait and see. It’s just, looking back at that Miz/Bryan Talking Smack promo, as well as Bryan’s tear-jerking return promo, this was my biggest dream feud and yet here we are and it doesn’t have anywhere near the buzz I expected. 

On a separate note, some guys just look fucking cool with a Championship belt. Nakamura is one of those people. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, jonnybgoode82 said:

No places for Asuka, the Usos, Charlotte etc. unless they start shoehorning people in through more multiperson matches.

Isn't Charlotte still boob-crocked?

• Paid Members

Top Smackers again this week. That's one of Orton's best promos in years, probably even a decade. Delivered with real conviction. 

I could be completely off the mark, but I can see some of HHH's fingerprints on this show over the last couple of weeks which may explain the upsurge in quality. Joe, one his favourites from NXT, getting the nod to go for the title and being presented like an absolute killing machine. Maybe his fingerprints are on the presentation of Orton as well, even Asuka with her convincing win as well. HHH fucking loves a tournament and so far the SD tag tournament has been good. Again, could be totally wrong and just because it was a good show doesn't mean we should automatically dismiss the notion that someone other that HHH could've booked it. But the difference between SD and Raw for instance in terms of quality is really noticeable. 

• Paid Members

Funnily enough, that’s something that I’ve been thinking about these past few weeks too. There’s probably nothing to it but Smackers definitely feels like it’s recently got a more NXT vibe to it than Raw. You can sense there’s a different tone and atmosphere and it feels less like the type of thing Vince would write or approve.

• Paid Members

You wonder with the XFL launch, Vince will see some sense in delegating more WWE responsibility to Saint Paul?

Prichard's XFL podcast episode does a good job highlighting how over worked everyone was and how it's little coincidence WWE TV suffered big time because of it. You wonder if Vince realises this was one of the many mistakes he made last time and, with Triple H about to trust, will have to step back a little - completely against Vince's character, I know.

Archived