Movies that make your balls swell (sorry ladies)

John Matrix

I finally got round to watching Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans on the weekend.Fucking hell. Even everything that's been said about it didn't prepare me for the insanity. It's quite brilliant, Cage is brilliant, and the iguana scene had Mrs Loki and I jumping off the sofa with amazement at the crazy levels.I'm generally absolutely against remakes, but that was fantastic and in no way detracts from the original, which is also worthy but in a completely different way.

Yeah, Herzog is incredible. He's the star of that film, after the iguana.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Check this out, I visited my dad recently and took this picture of one of his shelves, he loves ball-swelling movies - these are all Steven Seagal films.ONSxaUI.jpg

fuck! he's even got all the shit ones.

• Paid Members

I absolutely love shit Seagal films (and good ones) no idea why but iv'e always loved his straight to dvd stuff that's never off Channel 5 late nights. I'm just a total mark for the guy.

I love the old school Seagal flicks like Out For Justice and Marked For Death. Proper late night Channel 5/ITV2 classics. And Under Siege 2: Dark Territory is fucking brilliant. Not just one of Seagal's best films, but one of my all time favourite action flicks.

• Moderators

Wouldn't have been me. I don't really like westerns.

:omg: What kind of person are you?
I don't actively dislike them but they just don't really get me going. It's a natural extension of my hatred of period dramas. Anything where they spend a lot of attention on costumery and "authenticity" just detracts and distracts from the meat of it, i.e. characters and story.That said, Deadwood was ace and I'm sure I'd find more that I enjoyed if I felt like digging through the genre. As it is there's enough films I've never seen that I'd like to that I can just happily give the lot of them a swerve.

• Paid Members

I stumbled upon the Miami Connection on Netflix US last night. It maybe my new favourite film. The little bit of blurb on netflix caught my eye when I read..

'A martial arts rock band metes out crime-crushing justice to the motorcycle ninjas who have seized control of Florida's narcotics trade.'

Yeah so it's fucking awesome.

Fascinating back story it has to. It was made in 87 and was written and produced by the lead Y.K. Kim. He mortgaged everything to make it and spent his life savings. It was sold for 100,000 then only played on 8 screens for 3 weeks in California and West Germany. It was savaged by dumb critics and never seen again.

No further release at all until 2011 when a print surfaced on ebay and was sold for 50 Dollars to the Drafthouse Theatres programme director. They did this showing of the first 20 minutes of 5 films to fans ho would then pick which one they actually wanted to watch by crowd reaction. They went absolutely ape shit for Miami Connection. Instant cult hit. However they discovered the negative and original elements were destroyed in a Tornado in 2004 so the version on netflix and Blu-ray was made from the best elements that remained?

EDIT - Trailer should now work.

• Paid Members

It actually got a VHS release in 1987 as well. I only know this because VivaVHS has an original copy. I think they did a limited run of copies on VHS when they rereleased it on blu ray / DVD as well which is a quality idea

• Paid Members

Yeah I saw the limited VHS release was out. Quite a fun collectible these LE VHS's. I won't get them myself but I can see appeal. When I met Lloyd Kaufman last year he was selling Toxic Avenger VHS's for a forty quid which is frankly mental. Didn't realise it got a 87 VHS release. Was that in the US or here? I bought the Blu-ray within 20 minutes of watching it on Netflix last night. It's pretty special.

• Paid Members

'A martial arts rock band metes out crime-crushing justice to the motorcycle ninjas who have seized control of Florida's narcotics trade.'

I may have just came. That sounds fucking immense.

I think they did a limited run of copies on VHS when they rereleased it on blu ray / DVD as well which is a quality idea

I fully concur. I'd be all over that sort of thing if it were available more frequently.

• Paid Members

Ive seen a US and a dutch version of the original so it seems to have had a limited European release as well. From what i've heard they are very hard to find. I didnt know it was on US Netflix, i'll go and watch it tonight. Is there much extra on the Blu Ray?

• Paid Members

Here's what's listed for extras on the Blu-ray.com review. I should point out the blu is region locked to region A and won't play on most UK players.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Miami-Connec...9/#Review"</a&gt'>Blu-ray. com Review

Miami Connection Blu-ray, Special Features and Extras

Archived