DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

On 1/1/2019 at 7:43 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

So I'm a traitor now because I went to see the Spider-Man cartoon and thought it was absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Honestly an incredible piece of work that felt like it wanted everyone to like it rather than just pimply Forbidden Planet dwellers.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

• Paid Members

Two films today.

Mary Poppins Returns. Not really a fan of the original but loved this one. Just smiled throughout. Blunt is a treat and most enjoyable family film like this since Paddington 2. 

Followed by Split. McAvoy is outstanding, nice little thriller and interesting to see how they carry this on in Glass.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Forgot to say I finally watched Prisoners on NYE, bloody hell it's good.  

Reckon he'll do alright for himself that Villeneuve.

Watched a good little horror film tonight called Clown, from the same guy who did Cop Car, which was also pretty good fun. It's knocking around on Netflix if you fancy some body horror and Peter Stormare being class.

• Paid Members

The Favourite is a right treat. Looks great and all the performances are excellent. I know Coleman is getting all the praise, but I thought Emma Stone and Weisz were equally as quality.

The way the blokes are all inconsequential vain dullards is bit of genius, as it leads to some of the biggest laughs.

Loved it.

I also got the chance to see The Rider. Definitely didn't cry at the end. 

• Paid Members
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:13 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

Reckon he'll do alright for himself that Villeneuve.

Watched a good little horror film tonight called Clown, from the same guy who did Cop Car, which was also pretty good fun. It's knocking around on Netflix if you fancy some body horror and Peter Stormare being class.

This had been on my radar for a while after hearing/reading about it somewhere. I’d put it on my list but reading you didn’t think it was utter crap prompted me to watch it last night. I really enjoyed it (I’m a bit of a sucker for body horror stuff). As you say, Peter Stormare was reliably enjoyable & aside from a couple of dubious character choices (it’s a horror after all) it was really well handled.

I laughed out loud at Stormare popping up from nowhere & chopping the demon dogs head off

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, ColinBollocks said:

Free Solo is quite the experience. The finale genuinely had my hands getting all sweaty, such was the tension. I very much recommend.

Yeah, I can't watch that, which is annoying as I'm sure it's fantastic. There's no way I'd get through that thing without a massive panic attack.

• Paid Members

You'll hate it. They spend a chunk of the film making you care for the bloke and his close ones, while ramping up the "look how high this is; this idiot is definitely going to fall. Here are some examples".

Edited by ColinBollocks

On 1/3/2019 at 1:46 PM, ColinBollocks said:

The Favourite is a right treat. Looks great and all the performances are excellent. I know Coleman is getting all the praise, but I thought Emma Stone and Weisz were equally as quality.

The way the blokes are all inconsequential vain dullards is bit of genius, as it leads to some of the biggest laughs.

Loved it.

I also got the chance to see The Rider. Definitely didn't cry at the end. 

Really good film, although I found some of its quirks (particularly the constant fish eye lens thing) more annoying than artistic.  There was some very, very odd sound design going on as well.  Rachel Weisz stole the show for me.  And the lighting was fantastic, reminded me of Barry Lyndon.

• Paid Members

The Vanishing - Peter Mullan & Gerard Butler play lighthouse men on a remote Scottish island in the early 1900's. After finding a washed up boat, a body & a chest it all goes a bit awry. Really well acted & tense with refreshingly believable reactions to sudden violence. Think 'A Simple Plan' with more facial hair & cardigans.