DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Finally got round to seeing Mission Impossible: Fallout after missing it in the cinema. It’s just non stop. Not just one of the best actions films of the year but easily of the last 5-10 years. Also doesn’t go the route of shaky single cameras for the fight scenes, like every film since the Bourne Identity, which was a welcome change. Cavill should be Bond, dude oozes charisma and looks like he could snap you like a twig if he needed to ( might just have been because he was standing next to Tiny Tom though)

• Moderators

I saw Love Actually for the first time last night. It was good. I enjoyed it exactly as much as I thought I would. I don't feel the need to watch it every Christmas as some do but I wouldn't mind if someone puts it on. The only story I didn't like was about Colin going to Wisconsin, I thought that was a bit too ridiculous.

What was Martin Freeman and the other stand in's connection to the school play? I missed that explanation.

EDIT: I also saw Rampage in my brother in law's really awesome home cinema room. I don't get to see films in there very often and all I could think was what a waste of an opportunity it was that we watched that shite. It wasn't terrible but it was just instantly forgettable fluff.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Bumblebee is, apparently, the Transformers film we've all been waiting for. I haven't, I never cared about Transformers. So I don't know if that's actually the case or not but it's definitely one of the year's biggest surprises. Predictable, maybe, but also really funny and well directed. An 80s homage that actually hits all the right beats, which is pretty rare.

Also, Big Match John does it again. He had a superb year.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

It's got Gen 1 design, made by a director who genuinely loves the original series. Michael Bay where he works best these days; in the background to help consult on the action scenes, and John playing a blinder again. Whats not to love?

220px-Nightoftherunningman.jpg

A hit man (Scott Glenn) chases a Las Vegas cabdriver (Andrew McCarthy) holding $1 million stolen from the mob.

Another one of those 90's movies that's been seemingly lost in time and forgotten about. Scott Glenn plays one hell of a hit man in this, just a total bastard with no morals or regard for anybody but himself. Andrew McCarthy plays Logan, who stupidly thinks he can keep the $1m he found in his cab and get away from it. Little did he know, he's got the human equivalent of the fucking Terminator following him at every turn. An excellent thriller, with Glenn in tremendous form, who rightly steals the show. A weakness could be levelled at the lack of character development, in Logan in particular though. A little more time spent developing him at the start would have helped IMO but it's still a riveting ride and a lost gem of a movie.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, zep81 said:

A hit man (Scott Glenn) chases a Las Vegas cabdriver (Andrew McCarthy) holding $1 million stolen from the mob.

Another one of those 90's movies that's been seemingly lost in time and forgotten about. Scott Glenn plays one hell of a hit man in this, just a total bastard with no morals or regard for anybody but himself. Andrew McCarthy plays Logan, who stupidly thinks he can keep the $1m he found in his cab and get away from it. Little did he know, he's got the human equivalent of the fucking Terminator following him at every turn. An excellent thriller, with Glenn in tremendous form, who rightly steals the show. A weakness could be levelled at the lack of character development, in Logan in particular though. A little more time spent developing him at the start would have helped IMO but it's still a riveting ride and a lost gem of a movie.

I watched this earlier in the year as well, it was alright. Scott Glenn is always great though, one of those character actors who elevates anything he's in.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I watched this earlier in the year as well, it was alright. Scott Glenn is always great though, one of those character actors who elevates anything he's in.

10 hours ago, zep81 said:

Don't know if he's in anything famous now, but Andrew McCarthy is definately one of the more forgotten members of the 80s "Brat Pack".

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Holmes and Watson

Fuck me, it's pretty bad.  Will Ferrell does a funny voice, there's maybe 3 or 4 chuckles in it and there's Strowman with a small part.  I wish the Mrs had agreed to Bumblebee.

I haven’t seen a single positive review. I was off to see it Boxing Day but they were only showing it in a 30 seater screen which I thought was odd (though now makes sense) and was sold out. As someone who thinks Step Brothers was a comedy classic, this makes me sad.

Also saw Bumblebee. Agree with Devon, clearly the best one as it was based on the actual toy line and cartoon. Captured 80’s movies pretty well. Definitely some ET vibes. Soundtrack was great, even if there was too much of The Smiths. It was about 20 minutes too long, but that’s quite common at the moment. Spider-Man is still the best blockbuster released this month, but this is close. Next up, Poppins 

• Paid Members

Mary Poppins Returns is decent. Everyone and everything is trying so hard to make it great, but it never feels like it finds it's momentum. Some of the tunes and the dance numbers are good fun, of course, but I wasn't really feeling the emotional heft of the film. They tried to pull on the heartstrings, but I felt it too shallow an experience to ever get to the point of crying a wee tear.

On 12/27/2018 at 11:19 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

What was Martin Freeman and the other stand in's connection to the school play? I missed that explanation.

My sister-in-law and I had a lengthy discussion a few Christmas’s back about how the relationships intertwined.

Best we could come up with for that was that they worked with Colin’s mate on the film set. Colin was there as a workmate of Alan Rickman’s character (can’t remember his name) so I’m guessing Colin invited his mate who invited some more mates (Freeman & Stacey from Gavin & Stacey).

• Paid Members

Mortal Engines is exactly as boring and bland as you've been told it is. A complete waste of time and money spending this much money on a film that has nothing but cool visuals to recommend it for. It deserved to bomb.

• Awards Moderator

Caught Grindelwald earlier (finally!). There's good stuff in there, but mired in lots of characters talking at each other. Jude Law is great, Newt and brother are great, but there's lots of "let's go to the next place on the list..." And I think it's a mistake to show Hogwarts, because you see it and think 'I wish we were seeing more of this', rather than more chasing a black cloud. Depp annoyed me the least he has in decades, apart from his Terry Thomas impression.

I also watched Teen Titans which is hilarious. Loved it.