DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

The king Louie bit was bad.. Really jarring. They didn't seem to know what they were going for.. One minute they tried to make that scene all dark and foreboding and the next he's singing and dancing. And he was way too fucking big.

Apart from that I did enjoy it.

Cheers for the write-up Genny. Excellent as always.. Given me a good list to watch over this week whilst I'm off work!

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

You're all right about Louie, the scale was a bit silly... I mean twice the size of baloo would have demonstrated the threat, but half the size of the mountain was a bit OTT.

Although Walken is great, i didn't really get feel the voice worked and he didnt really do the song a huge load of justice. That should be a massive song. I feel his voice needed to have a big, bold shouting, louisiana esque voice, not just the raspy element.

• Paid Members

Rewatched To Live And Die In LA last night and it's superb, William Friedkin has become one of my favourite directors over the last couple of years.

The car chase is fucking magnificent as well.

Not only that, the channel that upload is from is basically a database of the best car chases from down the years, and it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCae7vXt6fiB2GqYxxs_0_dg/feed

• Paid Members

I finally got around to watching Pop star - never stop never stopping last night. Really enjoyed it. Exactly what I expected it to be from those guys, no surprises, but if you like Lonely Island you'll not be disappointed.

Compared to Tenacious D in the Pick Of Destiny, it's a masterpiece! I thought it was very good, but could of been a bit better. Maybe being harsh but still enjoyed it more then Keanu

• Paid Members

Does anybody like a Jonathan Pryce film? I know he isn't a major name, but I always remember him as voice of the computer and the unconvincing "Studd" from "Jumping Jack Flash" and have to get his films.

Watched one called "Ploughman's Lunch" with him and Tim Curry about the Tory party. It was filmed in about 1981 and it was horrendous. Released by Film4. Part of Fopp's offer of selling off Film4 DVDs cheap for three pound.

http://www.fopp.com/film4/

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

I get bAz's point actually. He's been in a right load of shit in his career but Ronin is pretty good as well as what you two mention. His Tomorrow Never Dies villain is probably the worst in Bond history though.

• Paid Members

I watched Silence yesterday. All 161 minutes.

Parts of it are proper stunning and features a great bit of acting from Issey Ogata and a few others. However, there are moments where it can drag and you start to feel all those minutes. Mainly this is the case when Andrew Garfield is in a scene without the great support. His performance is a mixed bag, to the point you wish Scorsese cast someone else.