DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator

Also got round to seeing Gravity, which was visually stunning and incredibly tense to the point that I caught myself gripping the sofa.

There were some jarring science WTFs in it, but I could forgive them for the sake of the story. The lack of explosions was to be applauded. A very brave decision to not have bangs and blasts, but it completely worked from my perspective.

I caught Gravity on the Google freebie. The aesthetic from visuals to sounds were top notch, truly excellent. I was utterly bored throughout however. Couldn't care less what happened.

• Paid Members

Is Interstellar loud? It looks loud.

Whoever is cast as the daughter says it was loud. She was on the One Show last week and said it was loud as it was "A movie not to be watched. It's a movie to be experienced." I don't think I will be doing either.

Went to see it today and yes it is very loud. So loud at times that it shook the cinema I was in.

yeh at one point it felt like i was in one of those 4g type deals the seats were rumbling.

• Paid Members

Interstellar :

All in all, a very arrogant, self indulgent movie which thinks it’s smarter than it is.

How exactly can a movie think its smarter than it is?

You liked it, I take it? And are a Nolan fan, I take it? And are a bit peed off at my frustrations directed at both the movie and director, i take it?

Well, it tried too hard to take elements of Clarke, Asimov, Baudrillard and even - the admittedly not that deep - Gibson to whatever next level Nolan is striving to achieve and failed.

He tried to be too smart and in doing that, took all soul and semblance of plot out of the equation.

It looked wonderful, but ultimately dribbled shite all down its own leg by lacking in everything else and trying to be the next movie that scholars and nerds the world over would debate and argue over for decades (akin to 2001, Blade Runner, Metropolis and the like), and you can’t deny that was what he wanted, but it turned out to be just below Gattaca and Contact level, and that’s being generous.

Not forgetting mention his little bookshelf “easter egg” which proves his superior intelligence.

• Awards Moderator

I was quite enjoying Interstellar until the last third, when it really felt like it was dragging and dragging; I could make a joke about relativity and how when we left the cinema it was 20 years later. I'd call it disappointing, but I didn't hate it. My girlfriend disagreed; for her, she was quite enjoying it until the last third, when it completely shat itself and ruined the whole thing. She hated it and couldn't wait for it to be over. We did both think it was going quite well until

Matt Damon showed up, at which point it started to fall apart.

The Imitation Game's pretty decent, incidentally. Better than Interstellar, anyway, not that they're particularly comparable...

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Interstellar :

All in all, a very arrogant, self indulgent movie which thinks it’s smarter than it is.

How exactly can a movie think its smarter than it is?

You liked it, I take it? And are a Nolan fan, I take it? And are a bit peed off at my frustrations directed at both the movie and director, i take it?

i did enjoy it, and ive enjoyed all of Nolan's movies - though im not some kind of Nolan-fanboy defending him here, i clearly don't take this movie thing as seriously as you. I genuinely wanted to know what you meant by that statement :thumbsup:

If you haven't seen it, Lawless is on this Saturday.  It's not perfect, but it's really enjoyable and well shot, and some good performances particularly by Tom Hardy and Jason Clarke (who's a fucking great actor, and seems destined to not quite make it to the A List).

It's a bit Untouchables, with a helping of Deliverance and a Gary Oldman bad guy thrown in.

Lots of mumbling though, the dialogue is all "Wrmmmrmmm, mmmming grwwwn, boy".

I just watched Chronicle.

I thought this was really good.  It's fairly obvious, in that it's a "found footage" style film, and also a "superhero origins" type film, but it's done really well.  The characters act in a way you would probably act, which is refreshing for this sort of film.  And the climax is all sorts of crazy ridiculous.

Nolan should take some notes.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the climax to Chronicle is top drawer. My young lad loves that movie and watches it relentlessly so I’ve seen it a couple times in full and in dribs and drabs from walking into the room and it being on. Very, very good flick!

I’m giddy for Inherent Vice tonight, it has to be said. I recently re-read the book so it’s fresh in my head. I’m curious as to how Anderson is gonna handle certain slapstick comedy (Looney Tunes & Police Squad!) aspects of this bastard!