DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Inherent Vice is in my top ten movies of all time.

I’m not Anderson’s biggest fan (although I have enjoyed most of his flicks) and I find him to be a cross between Wes Anderson and Christopher Nolan for some reason, but this was fucking phenomenal. Think LA Confidential crossed with Police Squad! by way of Up In Smoke, Spun, Monty Python, Heat and The Big Lebowski. It’s that diverse, chaotic and out there.

People came out of that Avatar nonsense wanting to be blue and living on that Endor planet or whatever it was called? I want to live in Paul Thomas Anderson’s California.

I won’t give too much away, but besides Brolin (who was dreadful), everyone played their parts brilliantly, particularly Eric Roberts and the always brilliant Benicio Del Toro.

Some fair amount of women in the nip too.

• Paid Members

I can't wait to see birdman, can I please come with you Scott? Failing that please give me a realistic expectation of how great it is because I'm hoping it's something special. Michael Keaton is awesome, he must have the shittest agent ever, he could've had a much better career in the last 20 years than he has.

• Paid Members

There’s been a heap of lofty praise put upon Birdman, and I’m glad to say that every bit of it is warranted...and then some.

It’s a brilliant movie and one that has stuck with me since I walked out of the screening last night. I actually cannot wait to see it again and own it, so with all due respect to the filmmakers, screener season is on the way so I’ll get it by alternate means until the DVD comes out.

If Keaton is overlooked for an Oscar nomination, it’s a fucking farce. The man has delivered probably the most dramatic, yet funniest performance I have seen in years. Years. He is incredible. I actually got home at 11 and stuck on The Dream Team just to see him in action again.

There’s a fair few well worked in jokes without being overbearing, and there’s not one bad performance. Not one. Emma Stone was fantastic (especially in one scene where she chews up everything around her) and Ed Norton – who I think is a self righteous cunt, celluloids answer to CM Punk and a man with a higher opinion of himself than the general public does – was phenomenal. I haven’t seen Norton this passionate, or...well...good, in a role since his American History X and Fight Club days.
10/10 from me.

I recorded a random film off Movie Mix called Population 436, a little low-budget horror.

Without wishing to give away too much of the film, a census taker arrives to do the census at a little village way out in the sticks in the US and discovers that it's had a population of 436 for the last two hundred years....

It's a clever little story and it's really well shot and directed.  Turns out the director, Michelle MacLaren, has directed a lot of really good recent tv, and is lined up to direct Wonder Woman!  Worth a watch.